Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2021, 12:12 PM   #1
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Icon59 The Matrix Resurrections [SPOILERS]

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10838180/

Have you seen it? Will you?
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 12:58 PM   #2
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

You deserve a taint punch for the Oilers icon.

I thought it was fine. Not great, not the disaster some claim.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 01:45 PM   #3
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Movie is worthy of the oilers icon IMO. Trying to relive the glory days and failing miserably.
Old 12-27-2021, 02:30 PM   #4
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah it was bad IMO. If you don’t want to make the movie, just don’t. No need to advertise the fact in the film.

I liked the new Morpheus. But Keanu didn’t seem very engaged and the director’s reluctance was obvious too. Apparently she had to be convinced to finish it post Covid which isn’t surprising based on the product.

Some say the movie has emotional heft, I’d say that it’s pretty thin honestly.Glad I didn’t pay to see this in theatres.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 02:58 PM   #5
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had been on the fence about this one, as I felt that 1-3 said all that needed to be said, and I was wondering why this one got made.

After seeing a generally mixed but negative leaning set of reviews, and talking to some friends of mine...this sounds like a pass, or a 'catch for free somewhere/when'.

Which is a shame, 'cause I was very fond of 1-3.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 05:38 PM   #6
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not great, not bad. Sums up the movie for me.

Most of the movie was entertaining enough if only for nostalgia, but I didn't particularly like the whole rebooting of the Matrix and how Agents were just bots now, some of the cast got "recast" (except for new Morpheus who I thought was great), etc.

That whole human/bot skyscraper suicide dropping thing was just so cringe. Overall, it seemed like it was trying too hard to capture magic of the original story. And yes, the whole focus group scene must have been pulled directly out of the writers room.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 07:39 PM   #7
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:
Default The Matrix Resurrections [SPOILERS]

Definitely a bad movie. The first 30 minutes had some great ideas, setting us up to spend the film - like the first one - guessing what is and isn’t real, then more or less as soon as Neo is out, it turns crap.

The action sequences were ugly and uninteresting, plagued with quick-cutting closeups and shaky camera work that prevented you from seeing anything. There was no style to anything, the matrix didn’t really look any different from the real-world. In the first one they did so much with color and atmosphere and saturation to differentiate the two places. Here they relied on sets and costuming.

The acting was actually pretty good, other than Pinkett-Smith who was utterly wretched. Neil Patrick Harris was woefully miscast in his role: he is way too likeable to be the big bad. New agent smith was fine, except he didn’t make any sense… why does he help them? And then why does he STOP helping them? Doesn’t he still wanna get out of the matrix?

And then, suddenly it’s a zombie movie? Uughhhh… bad, bad movie. Colossally disappointing.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to driveway For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2021, 02:21 PM   #8
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I, unfortunately, went to the theatre to see this mess of a movie. I went in with low expectations, given IGN's initial poor review, and STILL somehow managed to dislike it more. First movie I fought sleep in for a while, and I went to a 2:15 pm showing.

Woof.
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 02:28 PM   #9
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

I feel like I have to watch it again. First watch I thought it was alright. I definitely feel like I missed certain things. I’m mostly confused as to how both Neo and Trinity seem to be the “one” now
Old 12-29-2021, 02:29 PM   #10
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Like driveway said, Neil Patrick Harris was so miscast it was impossible to suspend disbelief with him as the villain. I thought Pinkett-Smith was terrible, as was her makeup.

It really seemed like a B movie with more budget.

Seemed like the entire cast of Sense8 was in this as well. Wachowski must have wanted to make it up to them for it being cancelled.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 02:33 PM   #11
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

You know the adage ‘so bad that it’s good’ ?? Yeah this movie couldn’t even rent that adage… couldn’t even overpay for it and god knows they tried. Incredibly shallow and confusing train wreck of a movie that we couldn’t even laugh at or joke about how bad it was. Haven’t not finished a movie in some time and I did that twice this past weekend (also stopped the Ricardos)
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2021, 03:22 PM   #12
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I’ve read a couple of reviews arguing that the bland action was an intentional subversion of Matrix fan expectations, and therefore genius. We’re still doing this 4 years after Last Jedi? Subversion is only good if you give the audience something better than what they were expecting. There’s zero chance I ever sit through this mess again, meta commentary be damned.

And I’m a dumb sucker for waiting until the post credits scene, even having been warned in advance that I’d regret it. Take my advice right now, absolutely do not bother. You will hate yourself for days after if you do.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 03:37 PM   #13
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
I’ve read a couple of reviews arguing that the bland action was an intentional subversion of Matrix fan expectations, and therefore genius. We’re still doing this 4 years after Last Jedi? Subversion is only good if you give the audience something better than what they were expecting. There’s zero chance I ever sit through this mess again, meta commentary be damned.

And I’m a dumb sucker for waiting until the post credits scene, even having been warned in advance that I’d regret it. Take my advice right now, absolutely do not bother. You will hate yourself for days after if you do.
I didn't realize there was one until your post. I didn't take your advice and watched it. Meow that was bad.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2021, 03:40 PM   #14
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

There's a post credits scene? Ugh.
Old 12-29-2021, 09:36 PM   #15
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdubbs View Post
There's a post credits scene? Ugh.
I don't feel like this is a spoiler since the scene has nothing to do with the franchise or characters at all. It's a bunch of nerds from the developer company saying the next game they put out will be called The Catrix since people like cats.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 09:41 PM   #16
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

There are movies that I will always watch over and over again like the original Matrix, Ghostbusters 1 & 2, Blade Runner, Star Wars etc. I'm certain I'll never watch The Matrix: Resurrections, Ghostbusters Afterlife (maybe just the end), Blade Runner, or any Star Wars Prequels/Sequels ever again. I don't think it's a case of nostalgia. There is genuinely nothing worth watching in these sequels that would make you want to sit through them again.

That said, I'm glad I saw The Matrix Resurrections. I didn't hate it! It's not something I'll have any desire to rewatch but I left satisfied. It's not The Matrix 4. It's like a side-movie/bonus chapter thrown in 20 years later. It's like going from 35 to 55 years old and getting a chance to have a little fun one last time. I'm good with it.

I'm not mad like a lot of people on the internet seem to be with this film since they were expecting it to be on par with the originals. It's just a wacky almost Netflix style follow-up. In many ways, this could have been one of those Netflix/Amazon shows if they stretched it out. Yes the action scenes sucked - they had the John Wick choreographer instead of the legendary Yuen Woo Ping but part way through I realized I didn't care about the action like I was when I was a martial-arts obsessed teen back in the day. Keanu seemed like he was trying to get out of hangover the whole movie and I chalk it up to all the drugs/psychotherapy they were using on him for decades. I think it would have been cool if he busted out his John Wick as Neo though. Everything works in universe, even if it doesn't work for the fans.

I heard that they tried to get Hugo Weaving but he had a theatre commitment and Lana decided to move on without him. I wonder if he was involved and Laurence Fishburne was involved if it would have held together a little better.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 12-29-2021 at 09:47 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2021, 08:57 AM   #17
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I don't feel like this is a spoiler since the scene has nothing to do with the franchise or characters at all. It's a bunch of nerds from the developer company saying the next game they put out will be called The Catrix since people like cats.
Thanks for saving me some time later.
Old 12-31-2021, 05:38 PM   #18
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Dude!

Get rid of that oilers icon, that's just disrespectful! I did not dislike this movie or the meta-ness that other people had an issue with. That was ballsy by Lana and my friend and I thought it was funny in a way that did not hurt the story.

I thought the way they reintroduced the characters and explained their surviving/not remembering to be creative and clever. Very true to the Matrix. And the way they advanced the world outside the simulation was cool as well with humans and machines working together. I didn't expect some of the sci-fi aspects we were treated to. The "real" world was rather bland and depressing in the trilogy, and they made it a lot more interesting in this one.

Groff and NPH were great in their roles and arguably underutilized somewhat.

Action editing/quality is where it fell short. Specifically the third act. But the movie had a lot of potential with how it set things up. I think with better execution in the third act with less chaos and jumping from scene to scene which made it come off disjointed this could've been a slam dunk.

But with the problems it was still good, and sets up an interesting premise with likeable characters and we were glad we saw it.

Last edited by djsFlames; 12-31-2021 at 05:48 PM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 08:32 PM   #19
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Dude!

Get rid of that oilers icon, that's just disrespectful!
Can't the editing time has expired. I stand by my decision this film deserves it. Speaking of disrespectful this movie takes a giant dump on the original and the fans that love it, which is by design. I get what they were trying to do but I am growing to hate it.

They didn't advance the world or story at all half the movie is hey look at what happened before, which is jarring because when you see the original footage it reminds you how awesome it is.
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2021, 09:11 PM   #20
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I don't think it took a dump at all.

I think that may just be the way you recieved/interpreted it because maybe you regard the first film as sacred since it is so timeless. If anything it could be taken as admiring the originals and the "comfort of nostalgia" as new morpheus put it. A movie that wants to break away from what came before it doesn't weave scenes from the original into it. It goes and does a Last Jedi and has the old hero denounce the ways of the Jedi. Here they acknowledged the sacrifice of Neo, and the showed difference it made in the world since. And it upholds the romantic connection between the two leads that was at the core of the first film as well.

If anything it takes a dump on the notion of rushing into sequels or making them just for the sake of it, which kind of translates to "I loved the story we told with the original trilogy". And we know Wachowski did this one based on inspiration from the turmoil of her parents passing.

Morpheus reciting old morpheus' lines with "blah blah" was the only time I think it showed disrespect, and that was about shaking Neo out of this belief in his mind that it was all a functional story that he designed for a video game.

I think once they broke away from the illusion and re-acqainted Neo with his old life it was handled tastefully and respectfully and was faithful to the continuity.

I can see why it would rub some people the wrong way though. I cherish the original like few movies but I also appreciate the creativity they brought to this one to keep it mind-bending in ways like the first film. They could've been much lazier with this story. It was risky and ambitious in some ways, and I can't hate on Wachowski trying, even if all of it didn't hit.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote