Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2021, 12:41 AM   #101
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M*A*S*H 4077 View Post
The U21 minutes threshold increasing to 1500 is interesting, but maybe I’m overthinking it. Were there any teams in 2019 that didn’t hit that number?

Edit: just looked it up, looks like Cavalry had the fewest U21 minutes in 2019 but still had 1563, so this rule change shouldn’t really have any noticeable impact
Well, Malyk Hamilton had almost 1300 of those minutes.

Pepple appears to be the only player currently on the roster that is U21.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 12:59 AM   #102
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
Losing Zator for no transfer fee and because the league can barely pay minimum wage is a serious concern. 2021 has to be a big growth year, followed by a bump in pay, because I can see a lot of casual fans not sticking around if they see too many players retiring because they can’t afford to stick around. It’s one thing to sell players to other (better) leagues, it’s another to lose them to a day job. Casual fans expect a lesser MLS, not a lesser USL Championship.

Northover was not exactly a star player, but when you see guys like him and Gasparotto walking away to take a pay raise in a 9-5 gig, that looks really bad.

Agreed that Zebie and Wheeldon are not at the Cavalry level (frankly, neither was Northover in 2020), and their departures make sense.
Yeah you’d assume by full year 3 that the league and clubs expected to see growth in revenues and thus salaries, when the CPL started.

With the pandemic more money was lost in year 2 than anyone forecasted, and year 3 will likely also lose more money then forecasted before in year 1 unless fans can pack the stands from June or July onwards.

So then you’re looking 2 or 3 years from after this season to get that bump that was originally forecast this upcoming year. With other clubs around the world in the same boat, transfers from development leagues like this will probably be down over a normal situation for a few years.

Though clubs were knowing that they’d take losses in a normal environment for a few years, pandemic means that this has likely extended that window of financial losses to 6 years from 2019, and some clubs may come financially unravelled before then.

And if you are university educated, almost certain that a decent full time job will pay better than the CPL, especially considering the extended (I heard it was to be extended to be committed to the club month earlier if they played in 2020) time commitment required to play. So, there are tough choices to be made by mid 20 year old players as to, if they want to play and can elevate into the next salary bracket in the CPL/a higher paying pro league, or say adios to football to make career with a more stable income.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2021, 10:35 AM   #103
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1354482301036601345
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2021, 10:47 AM   #104
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like we have our Zator replacement. Cup of coffee in the Eredivisie and a year on loan in the Dutch second division. Pretty good resume IMO.

Still need someone named Dominick to be brought in so we can keep our chant for Zator.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2021, 10:54 AM   #105
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was just coming in to post about the CB signing. I’m getting excited for the season, is it May yet?

Tommy had a nice short interview on Onesoccer’s YouTube page this morning. Talks a bit about the departures and while it may be a surprise to some of the fans, it isn’t to them (as evidenced by the new signing today)
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 11:48 AM   #106
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

FWIW, I've heard that news on Zator's next destination will come out in the next few weeks. In the Sun they mentioned he's likely going to Europe, and specifically mentioned Sweden, England, Scotland or Poland as likely destinations. I know he trained at Ross County last year and I believe he has a Polish passport.

Old 01-27-2021, 12:17 PM   #107
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Still need someone named Dominick to be brought in so we can keep our chant for Zator.
Klomp can easily be worked into a proper chat
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 01:56 PM   #108
Hockey-and_stuff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Still some work to do at CB, and a glaring need for U21 players. Likely you'll see the Cavs target a defender in the U Sports draft
Hockey-and_stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 01:35 PM   #109
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

For those who care about women's soccer, UWS is partnering with NISA to launch a professional women's league in 2022. Wonder if this is the next step for Calgary Foothills....

https://uwssoccer.com/uws-nisa-alliance

Old 01-28-2021, 02:56 PM   #110
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

New CB looks like a good signing from that short video clip. Kid can PING the ball, looks good in the air, and has pretty good feet. What else could you want from a CB?

From what I've heard re: Zator, he doesn't have a confirmed destination yet. He is Polish, so would have some connections there, so I could see that as likely, and there have been quite a few Calgarians dabbling in Swedish leagues, as some agents here seem to have some connections there.

From a selfish standpoint, happy to see Dean not playing with them anymore. Our team has started the recruitment efforts!
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 01:39 PM   #111
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cavalry selects Victor Loturi with their first round pick in the 2021 CPL draft. Need someone to take those U21 minutes!
Old 01-29-2021, 01:45 PM   #112
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ethan Keen (Fullback) out of Mount Royal is Cavalry's second pick.

Seems like Tommy went with local players that he knows and I like that strategy, especially in light of the pandemic
Old 01-29-2021, 01:49 PM   #113
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just out of curiosity, why do we have to draft Loturi again if we already drafted him?
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 01:50 PM   #114
Howie_16
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M*A*S*H 4077 View Post
Cavalry selects Victor Loturi with their first round pick in the 2021 CPL draft. Need someone to take those U21 minutes!
How is Victor Loturi, who has been with the Cavs in both 2019 & 2020, eligible to be selected by Cavalry?

I'm sure there is an explanation, but I just don't know the answer.
Howie_16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 01:57 PM   #115
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dad joke game strong...

https://twitter.com/footsoldierssg/s...58038349746176

https://twitter.com/footsoldierssg/s...58152338374656

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2021, 01:58 PM   #116
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was trying to figure out the draft eligibility rules this morning and I think (Shermanator or someone else probably knows and can correct me) unless they sign a pro contract they automatically become eligible to become drafted again. Gardner, drafted first by FC Edmonton, had been drafted twice previously by Pacific... Seems like there is a big difference between a development contract and a pro contract as it relates to the draft.

I assume now that the draft is over Cavalry could sign players that weren't drafted
Old 01-29-2021, 02:00 PM   #117
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie_16 View Post
How is Victor Loturi, who has been with the Cavs in both 2019 & 2020, eligible to be selected by Cavalry?

I'm sure there is an explanation, but I just don't know the answer.
He wasn't in University in 2019, he was signed from Foothills directly on an amateur contract. He also wasn't with the club in 2020. I think the plan was for him to play with Foothills where he could get more minutes.

Drafting Loturi gives him a chance to get an education and get a few minutes with Cavalry on an amateur contract during the summer, rather than give up an education to sit on the bench all year like he did in 2019.

Last edited by shermanator; 01-29-2021 at 02:02 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2021, 02:06 PM   #118
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also I think the rules have changed this year. If a club signs a player to a developmental contract, they retain their rights and they don't have to draft them again. Meaning if Loturi signs, Cavalry avoid the situation where they have to draft him two years in a row to keep him.

The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2021, 03:59 PM   #119
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

Someone on Twitter is saying Zator's off to York 9 um, I mean York United. I dunno?!

https://twitter.com/CplTransfers/sta...53264640204807

Maybe Giantsoplous could have influenced him?
Old 01-29-2021, 04:03 PM   #120
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good god I hope not. That would be a punch to the gut if true.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cavalry fc , cpl , eff the forge , fc edmonton is no good