Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-16-2020, 02:40 PM   #101
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
It's not quite there yet. South stands (200s) and east stands (100s) are awesome. The west officers club make it feel like it's not a stadium at all. North stands are passable, but I'd prefer if they were the same as the south stand.

Question: I've never actually made it to a match in time for pre-game ceremony or kickoff. Do they do a horse charge with real horses or anything like that? Would be cool if they did.
With all the rattling of the stands, its a miracle that they can keep the horses from losing it TBH.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2020, 03:06 PM   #102
Arsenal14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
With all the rattling of the stands, its a miracle that they can keep the horses from losing it TBH.
Yeah, one of the horses at the championship game was really struggling during the pre-game.
Arsenal14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Arsenal14 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2020, 03:18 PM   #103
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Most games we are asked to hold off the drumming so that the horses don't lose it. I can't imagine they enjoy the noise.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 03:42 PM   #104
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I will try to make it on time next season!
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 03:46 PM   #105
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you're lucky you can witness a horse dropping a deuce next to the Edmonton starting lineup during the national anthem. So majestic!

Old 01-16-2020, 04:29 PM   #106
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I like the name. Cool callback to the renowned military units in WWI, and the fact they play in Spruce Meadows is an obvious connection.

I just don't like how our city name is so similar to it, so it makes the whole thing a little silly. Cavalry from Calgary is a little weird.

My bigger problem is the lighting in Spruce Meadows and the west side spectator "stands". If they simply made 4 stands like the East Stand with decent lighting of the pitch, I would have zero issue with the stadium. In fact, I'd love a working man's stadium with no frills but good atmosphere.
If the team does well, that's coming. The plans are to convert the All-Canada Ring into a 12,000 seat stadium with a horseshoe design. Atco Field is basically a pop-up stadium. And for what it is, they did a very good job.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 04:44 PM   #107
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't mind the pastoral feeling when you look west. The Aesthetic of the trees and officers club gives it a certain charm.

Last edited by TheIronMaiden; 01-16-2020 at 04:48 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2020, 07:07 PM   #108
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

I really enjoy sitting on the North side. It's easily the best for accessing/leaving your seats, and sitting behind the goal is really exciting when the play is coming toward you.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:32 PM   #109
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper is King View Post
I really enjoy sitting on the North side. It's easily the best for accessing/leaving your seats, and sitting behind the goal is really exciting when the play is coming toward you.
Kipper - how does section 200 look / sound from the north end? Fun and intimidating?
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 09:36 PM   #110
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Kipper - how does section 200 look / sound from the north end? Fun and intimidating?
It sounds great, and in terms of being intimidating, well a shiver ran down my spine seeing that smoke for game 2 of the Finals!

Last edited by Kipper is King; 01-16-2020 at 09:56 PM.
Kipper is King is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kipper is King For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2020, 09:59 PM   #111
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper is King View Post
It sounds great, and in terms of being intimidating, well a shiver ran down my spine seeing that smoke for game 2 of the Finals!

I damn near choked to death. It was directly under the guy three seats over from me.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 08:05 AM   #112
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some information on that "secret draft" is in the Edmonton Sun today. The league has partnered with an analytics group in London, who presents a list of international players to the 7 clubs, who then can elect to sign players from that list if they choose. Helps cut down on scouting costs.

https://edmontonsun.com/sports/socce...ational-talent

Quote:
“It’s still ultimately up to the clubs to have the autonomy to choose these players,” Friend said. “But it’s a much more efficient process, versus the way soccer normally works around the globe where it’s every club for themselves.

“This will enable clubs to invest in other areas instead of scouting and recruiting. It’s a far more efficient process and I believe that this innovative approach is going to be adopted by many leagues around the world and we’re excited that the Canadian Premier League is the first league to do this.”

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2020, 10:40 AM   #113
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I suppose that it can be an advantage not having to adhere to old conventions. This system of scouting looks like a good way to go. I wonder how much transparency for how the list is created. Or what data involved in player rankings.
Old 01-17-2020, 10:51 AM   #114
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

lol. There's no chance in hell other major leagues will adopt that system. There's just too much competition for finding and developing the next star. But it is useful for the lesser leagues, like the CPL, where saving some money is valuable.

The CPL's format seems a lot like the Central Scouting Bureau in the NHL. But every team does its own scouting too.
Old 01-17-2020, 12:35 PM   #115
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
lol. There's no chance in hell other major leagues will adopt that system. There's just too much competition for finding and developing the next star. But it is useful for the lesser leagues, like the CPL, where saving some money is valuable.

The CPL's format seems a lot like the Central Scouting Bureau in the NHL. But every team does its own scouting too.
As long as teams are free to do their own scouting, and there’s no forced requirements to only sign these players, I like this.

One day (hopefully soon), the average CanPL team will have CFL level revenues, and the need for a central scouting will diminish. For now, I’d rather see the teams save money on this over the next few years, and have more money to raise the salary cap to a point where teams can afford to have some players making 6 digits.
Thunderball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 02:33 PM   #116
Arsenal14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
As long as teams are free to do their own scouting, and there’s no forced requirements to only sign these players, I like this.

One day (hopefully soon), the average CanPL team will have CFL level revenues, and the need for a central scouting will diminish. For now, I’d rather see the teams save money on this over the next few years, and have more money to raise the salary cap to a point where teams can afford to have some players making 6 digits.
Agreed. I see this as a situation like the import draft in the CHL where a lot of teams just don't have the money to spend on international scouting so a lot of the picks are based on reputation or who you know. This way teams at least have access to some international scouting without needing to blow their budget on it. I'd rather have Cavalry spending their money developing their own players and finding local talent than sending scouts around central and south america to find somebody who is willing to come here.
Arsenal14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 03:21 PM   #117
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Only two teams play in stadiums even capable of CFL level crowds, so the only way you're going to get to CFL level revenue any time soon is for everyone to charge Cavalry-style prices while selling out 7-9k seat stadiums. So this system definitely makes more sense for the league. And good comparison on the CHL import draft!
Old 01-17-2020, 04:05 PM   #118
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Only two teams play in stadiums even capable of CFL level crowds, so the only way you're going to get to CFL level revenue any time soon is for everyone to charge Cavalry-style prices while selling out 7-9k seat stadiums. So this system definitely makes more sense for the league. And good comparison on the CHL import draft!

They will need a bigger T.V deal if they want CFL revenue. Likewise, as you said, 300,000 in yearly attendance is out of the reach at Spruce Meadows. If the cavalry sold out 16 home games they would only have 96,000 fans hosted in a single season. Nevertheless, I am sure that their operational costs are much smaller.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2020, 08:26 PM   #119
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
They will need a bigger T.V deal if they want CFL revenue. Likewise, as you said, 300,000 in yearly attendance is out of the reach at Spruce Meadows. If the cavalry sold out 16 home games they would only have 96,000 fans hosted in a single season. Nevertheless, I am sure that their operational costs are much smaller.
TSN and the CFL just signed a deal for $50M a year for 6 years.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2020, 01:03 PM   #120
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

According to the Cavs' instagram story today, they're announcing a signing tomorrow.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:

Tags
fc edmonton is no good , footie , go cavs