Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2022, 11:23 AM   #1
Twitchy15
Backup Goalie

Exp:
Default cost of building a garage in the current world?

Has anyone built a garage this summer or the last year?

how much more expensive has it gotten?

I bought my home in 2017 older 1960s house with a insane slope in the backyard. I was quoted in 2017 ~ 40,000-50,000 for a basic 24 x 24 garage with retaining wall.

This sloped portion of our yard is essentially useless. If money wasn't an option we would do a garage with pad beside at least but the amount of space and the way the lot is we could have a triple garage + pad beside it and it could be two stories high.

Last edited by Twitchy15; 08-11-2022 at 12:39 PM.
Twitchy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 11:47 AM   #2
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

I believe $20-25k for a standard slab small double garage is going rate at the moment. Given you have a big retaining wall with engineering, 40-50 may be reasonable.
Old 08-11-2022, 11:50 AM   #3
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

That sounds about right. My pad alone, with a 2 foot retaining wall on half of it was ~15.5k back in 2018(after much shopping around), and I'm sure concrete prices have gone up. Yours sounds like a much bigger wall.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 12:00 PM   #4
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitchy15 View Post

I bought my home in 2017 older 1960s house with a insane slope in the backyard. I was quoted ~ 40,000-50,000 for a basic 24 x 24 garage with retaining wall.

This sloped portion of our yard is essentially useless. If money wasn't an option we would do a garage with pad beside at least but the amount of space and the way the lot is we could have a triple garage + pad beside it and it could be two stories high.
I have the same and was told closer to $80,000; but I'm in Vancouver where everything has added F U pricing.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2022, 12:25 PM   #5
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArcher101 View Post
I believe $20-25k for a standard slab small double garage is going rate at the moment. Given you have a big retaining wall with engineering, 40-50 may be reasonable.

$20k was the standard price like 10+ years ago. With slab thickening (no foundation walls), no insulation, no drywall, no fancy electrical.

A garage with foundation walls in 2022 is probably double that... at least... if you can even find someone to building and specifically frame it.

Good luck!
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rohara66 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2022, 12:26 PM   #6
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohara66 View Post
$20k was the standard price like 10+ years ago. With slab thickening (no foundation walls), no insulation, no drywall, no fancy electrical.

A garage with foundation walls in 2022 is probably double that... at least... if you can even find someone to building and specifically frame it.

Good luck!
Hmmm, then his 40-50 with retaining wall sounds extremely reasonable.
Old 08-11-2022, 12:30 PM   #7
Leondros
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

I bought my home in 2017 older 1960s house with a insane slope in the backyard. I was quoted ~ 40,000-50,000 for a basic 24 x 24 garage with retaining wall.

I have a similar issue that I have been dealing with. Last year was looking to do a triple but massive garage (1,280 square feet and 12 feet tall). We also have an insane slope - so insane that we are building the backyard patio and full 3 feet of sod on top of the roof. Obviously at this point its more of a bunker given the load bearing requirement and the fact it needs to be waterproof.

The garage was then going to be tied into a future house down the road with access through the basement.

Our initial quote was $265K and it went to $385K real quick due to inflation of steel/concrete etc. It is my understand costs in the steel world (rebar) are normalizing.

Needless to say we are still without a garage...
Leondros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 12:31 PM   #8
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Buy the material, fly in the amish, it'll be cheaper and you'll get a great dinner out of it.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2022, 12:40 PM   #9
Twitchy15
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
That sounds about right. My pad alone, with a 2 foot retaining wall on half of it was ~15.5k back in 2018(after much shopping around), and I'm sure concrete prices have gone up. Yours sounds like a much bigger wall.
If I had a two story garage the top floor would walk onto my lawn at the same level as the house if that gives you an idea of how steep it is lol
Old 08-11-2022, 12:41 PM   #10
Twitchy15
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArcher101 View Post
Hmmm, then his 40-50 with retaining wall sounds extremely reasonable.
the quote was 2017. Looking back its fairly reasonable but just buying a house and money being tight its a large amount. Plus adding on insulation..heat stuff you dont need but would like with a garage
Old 08-11-2022, 12:44 PM   #11
Twitchy15
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leondros View Post
I have a similar issue that I have been dealing with. Last year was looking to do a triple but massive garage (1,280 square feet and 12 feet tall). We also have an insane slope - so insane that we are building the backyard patio and full 3 feet of sod on top of the roof. Obviously at this point its more of a bunker given the load bearing requirement and the fact it needs to be waterproof.

The garage was then going to be tied into a future house down the road with access through the basement.

Our initial quote was $265K and it went to $385K real quick due to inflation of steel/concrete etc. It is my understand costs in the steel world (rebar) are normalizing.

Needless to say we are still without a garage...
wow.. yeah I would want to wait till prices stabilized before such a big project. The space is so wasted so a triple with a pad and second storey for storage would be a good use of space but $$$$ a lot to sink into a garage.

Your garage sounds incredible connected to the house underground? is the house not built yet?
Old 08-11-2022, 12:57 PM   #12
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Twitchy - could you do a four car? Two on the alley level and a drive in from the front on the top? I’ve seen this completed at a home in Gendale. I’m pretty jealous of that kind of set up

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 01:00 PM   #13
Twitchy15
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
Twitchy - could you do a four car? Two on the alley level and a drive in from the front on the top? I’ve seen this completed at a home in Gendale. I’m pretty jealous of that kind of set up
Someone close to me has a four car garage just in the back, It probably could be done but those driveways beside the house to the back usually are super tight.
Old 08-11-2022, 04:44 PM   #14
Leondros
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
wow.. yeah I would want to wait till prices stabilized before such a big project. The space is so wasted so a triple with a pad and second storey for storage would be a good use of space but $$$$ a lot to sink into a garage.

Your garage sounds incredible connected to the house underground? is the house not built yet?
Its a future project. Plan is to do a false wall to do a future connection.

In theory I suppose we could do something similar with a second story, although the preference goes to outdoor space with a hottub, heaters, gazebo, a pedestal porcelain tile system and bbq area.
Leondros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 08:42 PM   #15
Mightyfire89
And I Don't Care...

Exp:

24 x 24 garage with pad (no retaining wall) was ~$36,000.00ish last fall for me. I don’t know if that’s helpful.
Old 08-11-2022, 10:08 PM   #16
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cost of lumber has come way down recently.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 12:42 PM   #17
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyfire89 View Post
24 x 24 garage with pad (no retaining wall) was ~$36,000.00ish last fall for me. I don’t know if that’s helpful.
Was that insulated and drywalled?
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote