Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-11-2022, 02:14 PM   #3821
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Which model did you get? I think the $2,799.99 E5 Elite with GRX is probably the minimum because the $1,849.99 one is spec'd with Claris.

Stock of course is always going to be a problem, probably won't be until next year.

I don't have space for 2 bikes so a gravel frame + road tires/wheels (maybe even carbon wheels) seems like the best option for me and a wheel swap can transform it into a different bike.
Factor LS would be a great bike then, higher end for price but it'll do pretty much everything
Old 08-11-2022, 02:34 PM   #3822
Khel
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Which model did you get? I think the $2,799.99 E5 Elite with GRX is probably the minimum because the $1,849.99 one is spec'd with Claris.

Stock of course is always going to be a problem, probably won't be until next year.

I don't have space for 2 bikes so a gravel frame + road tires/wheels (maybe even carbon wheels) seems like the best option for me and a wheel swap can transform it into a different bike.
I got the carbon expert with etap, it's glorious
Khel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 02:58 PM   #3823
Treycal
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
This is exactly what I did as well. Got a Giant Revolt Advanced 2 that was kitted out with 105. Added a lighter Giant carbon wheelset for the road and I'm golden. I tend to look at gravel bikes as an "endurance" style road bike with wider tire clearance. Love the bike and can ride for miles and miles in comfort.
Treycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 03:03 PM   #3824
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khel View Post
Electronic shifting is definitely a nice to have, not a need to have, but it is reallly nice to have. I have it on my new road bike, and when I upgrade my mountain bike in the next year or 2, now I want to get electronic shifting on it.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 03:27 PM   #3825
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khel View Post
$8K bike! Man we should do a CP poll on how much our bikes cost. I've yet to break the $2K barrier. Maybe next year.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2022, 04:24 PM   #3826
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
$8K bike! Man we should do a CP poll on how much our bikes cost. I've yet to break the $2K barrier. Maybe next year.
Going over $2k can be a noticeable difference. It's what flipped the switch for me from liking cycling to loving cycling.

Kind of like flying first class or driving a luxury car. It makes flying coach or driving your 10 year old beater a lot less fun.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2022, 05:08 PM   #3827
Khel
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Going over $2k can be a noticeable difference. It's what flipped the switch for me from liking cycling to loving cycling.

Kind of like flying first class or driving a luxury car. It makes flying coach or driving your 10 year old beater a lot less fun.
Absolutely, this was the first bike where I really treated myself, and it's definitely noticeable.
Khel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 05:34 PM   #3828
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
The actual quick fix is just to swap wheels and keep the same frame. That way you have a gravel + road.

I am actually thinking of going to the Diverge as my next bike and using it to fit both needs. Gravel bikes have wider forks and rears to fit wider tires whereas road bikes don't necessarily allow you to go the gravel route.
The Diverge is on the trainer now for a long time and I wanted to have another bike that sat on the trainer without taking it off and on. The other thing is when I bought the Diverge I was really clueless and grabbed a 58 size frame. While I've never had major discomfort riding, the Cube is a 56 and just feels like a better fit all around. I stand by decision for N + 1.
Deegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 07:31 PM   #3829
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have a 2022 Diverge Pro. Size 54 that I’m thinking of selling. I’ve got neck issues. I essentially need the stack of a 56 with the reach of a 54.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 08:25 PM   #3830
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
I have a 2022 Diverge Pro. Size 54 that I’m thinking of selling. I’ve got neck issues. I essentially need the stack of a 56 with the reach of a 54.
There’s a variety of modifications you can do to accommodate. Some examples include higher rise stem and maybe shorter too (redshift suspension stem is fantastic), different bar options (some have a riser, yes even on a road bar), different fork (ie compliance, stack height), larger tire (like a 28 or 30), seat position (for/aft, tilt), then there’s also all the physical/bio mechanical work you can do too. Such as hip/pelvic flexibility, core and shoulder strength, posture work. Anyways that’s a bunch of ideas that I know has worked for myself and some friends, and a lot cheaper than a new bike.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 08:30 PM   #3831
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Regarding dual wheelset gravel’ish bikes - make sure you’re extra picky on your crankset and cassette and free hub capability. Nothing worse than an undergeared road bike or a gravel bike without climbing gears. Generally that’ll put you into a double chainring (48-31), running a wide range cassette (10-40’ish).

Also pick tires appropriately… such as don’t go with a skinny 30 or 33 cross/gravel tire and a 28 road. Do it right and go ~38 gravel and 26-28 road. I’m loving my 43 gravel but will revert soon to a 43 front/38 rear gravel. Make sure you gravel wheelset can handle bigger tires too (and your frame too). I can also run 29r mtb tires which is a lotta fun sometimes out in the smoother trails ripping around.
Old 08-11-2022, 08:48 PM   #3832
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm looking at ordering a Naked Ti gravel bike. Custom build just for moi. Problem is, I won't get it until next year.
Old 08-11-2022, 09:19 PM   #3833
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
54 is about my size (53.5 currently). What color is it? Feel free to PM me! Wait that bike MSRP is like $11K?

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 08-11-2022 at 09:34 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 12:13 AM   #3834
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm looking at ordering a Naked Ti gravel bike. Custom build just for moi. Problem is, I won't get it until next year.

We deal with naked all the time. It will be quicker than the qoute eta more often than not.

That's quick for a custom frame .
combustiblefuel is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to combustiblefuel For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2022, 09:58 AM   #3835
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

For those interested thought I'd share the journey of my now friend David - he was a friend of a friend who we hosted for 3 nights as he passed through yyc on his bike-book tour from Montreal to Vancouver Island.

As you scroll down the main page, you'll come to his blog entries (and links to his social). I meant to post when he was here in these parts and went to a couple of local book store signings. He just finished the adventurous section of the TCH through Golden and wrote about:
https://www.davidmwallace.ca/

(he's also a talented musician and actor - glad to have made his acquaintance)
Old 08-12-2022, 10:44 AM   #3836
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustiblefuel View Post
We deal with naked all the time. It will be quicker than the qoute eta more often than not.

That's quick for a custom frame .
I know someone who has that frame and has been very happy with their gravel
Ride. Very nice looking frame. Good choice.
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2022, 11:14 AM   #3837
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Little Elbow loop. Has anybody done it, and is clockwise or counter-clockwise better? It looks like from the terrain that it is pretty much uphill each way until the mid-point.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 12:46 PM   #3838
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

we were just talking about that. The old rides we used to do and haven't done in years. Elbow Loop was a yearly ride but I haven't done it in about 13 years now. We usually did it counter clockwise, but both ways work. I think we liked counter clockwise because at the time the climb was a little easier. The final punch to the summit going clockwise was loose rock and our crappy bikes meant walking up it. It was easier to ride down that section. I couldn't really say what it'd be like now.

Some of the other older rides I want to go back out and do is Wildhorse, powderface, and prairieview. I did Sulpher last year and it's still a ####ty ride.
The Following User Says Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2022, 12:50 PM   #3839
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
The Little Elbow loop. Has anybody done it, and is clockwise or counter-clockwise better? It looks like from the terrain that it is pretty much uphill each way until the mid-point.
I haven't done yet this year. I did twice last yr - once on mtn bike and once on fatbike. I prefer counter-clockwise.
Old 08-12-2022, 01:04 PM   #3840
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am in Fernie this week and this morning roads parts of montane and ridge mount.

Everything is dry.