Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-25-2024, 06:41 PM   #4501
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

I realize I'm probably late to the table with Shogun, but holy cow is it ever good. Absolute must watch. It's right up there with The Last Kingdom for me.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2024, 10:09 AM   #4502
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I tried the Regime. It is clearly not for me. Hard pass.
I found the first couple episodes a tough watch; i wouldnt have kept going but my wife liked it. The episodes have gotten a bit better, but I am still not sure i like it.

I find Kate Winslet overly irritating in it. I know she is supposed to be, but it's a bit much
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 12:10 PM   #4503
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I think I mentioned it before, the first two seasons were Gold and then the tone of the 3rd season was just so wildly different and off.

I dont know anything for sure, but I suspect it has something to do with Oldman. I read that he had said that Season 2 of Slow Horses was it for him. He'd do that season and then he was retiring.

But they begged and begged him to do another season, he acquiesced but with some conditions and then it seemed like his heart just wasnt in it.

The books are not much different...the tone of them gets...boggy after a bit; but then, post-COVID, seem to pick up again, although Mick Herron is quite happy to disappoint readers in a variety of interesting ways.

Looks like Gary Oldman will do 2 more seasons then quit, so it won't quite finish the book series (which, IIRC, is awaiting book 8). S01 was far and away his best work in Slow Horses, but also worth watching: Darkest Hour (Churchill) and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. I believe he won Best Actor as Churchill.
Old 03-26-2024, 12:16 PM   #4504
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxbuster View Post
Read a couple of (glowing) reviews and talked with a pal who's watched it. Not sure I want to as the books were phenomenal, with physics that probably bemuses someone much smarter than me. Not sure I want to see a video version where essentially one character has been divided into five though.

So, on the fence about watching, though I probably will because it's supposed to be graphically fantastic.

Well, I'm into E06 now. Interesting way of presenting the story, which, in writing is a definitely hard physics...so somewhat "dumbed down" for more popular appeal. I hope it doesn't go the way of Inception which had so much multidimensional gobbledy#### in it that it was entirely unintelligble and the ending could have been...literally...anything, and worked.

The characters seem FAR too young and good looking to be believable for me in their rank in the world of physics. But then, I'm a pretty old goat. (As an aside: One of the usual things about Brit TV shows, especially cop shows, is that the women are often highly believable because they're not all 25 and models. So this is a bit out of step there for me.)
Old 03-26-2024, 12:55 PM   #4505
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxbuster View Post
The books are not much different...the tone of them gets...boggy after a bit; but then, post-COVID, seem to pick up again, although Mick Herron is quite happy to disappoint readers in a variety of interesting ways.

Looks like Gary Oldman will do 2 more seasons then quit, so it won't quite finish the book series (which, IIRC, is awaiting book 8). S01 was far and away his best work in Slow Horses, but also worth watching: Darkest Hour (Churchill) and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. I believe he won Best Actor as Churchill.
I wont lie, Gary Oldman is a goddamned Treasure. That man is amazing in pretty much everything he puts his effort into.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 07:42 PM   #4506
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Finished the Ted TV series, it's better than it has any right to be honestly. Felt like a perfect mix of Family Guy and Orville humor, hope they make more seasons
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 11:09 AM   #4507
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Finished the Ted TV series, it's better than it has any right to be honestly. Felt like a perfect mix of Family Guy and Orville humor, hope they make more seasons
Allana Ubach steals that show.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote