Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2023, 04:17 PM   #3741
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I'm not sure if the article is wrong in its interpretation, or if it's first paragraph is just imprecise enough that it suggested something completely different than reality to me.

When you say the core of the Earth has stopped spinning and is spinning in the opposite direction I envision relative to itself. Which seems impossible given the level of angular momentum involved.

Then I read this article: https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-023-00167-1

Quote:
Later studies refined estimates of the rate of that ‘super-rotation’, to conclude that the inner core rotates faster than the mantle by about one-tenth of a degree per year.
The subrotation would be the core is spinning slower than the mantle, not in the opposite direction that it used to be relative to itself.

So the change would be measured in tenths of a degree per decade, which seems much more plausible
Old 01-23-2023, 06:25 PM   #3742
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

No worries, once Superman reverses time to save Lois he will set the planet back on its proper rotation
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 01:18 PM   #3743
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Doomsday Clock has been reset to 90 seconds to midnight.

Quote:
WASHINGTON, D.C. – January 24, 2023 –The Doomsday Clock was set at 90 seconds to midnight, due largely but not exclusively to Russia’s invasion of Ukraine and the increased risk of nuclear escalation. The new Clock time was also influenced by continuing threats posed by the climate crisis and the breakdown of global norms and institutions needed to mitigate risks associated with advancing technologies and biological threats such as COVID-19.

Rachel Bronson, PhD, president and CEO, Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists, said: “We are living in a time of unprecedented danger, and the Doomsday Clock time reflects that reality. 90 seconds to midnight is the closest the Clock has ever been set to midnight, and it’s a decision our experts do not take lightly. The US government, its NATO allies and Ukraine have a multitude of channels for dialogue; we urge leaders to explore all of them to their fullest ability to turn back the Clock.”

https://thebulletin.org/2023/01/pres...s-to-midnight/

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 12:53 PM   #3744
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1631543565305405443

Not sure if this belongs here or in the "I don't wanna live on this planet anymore" thread. A further interesting development of AI application.
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to puckedoff For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2023, 01:04 PM   #3745
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckedoff View Post
https://twitter.com/user/status/1631543565305405443

Not sure if this belongs here or in the "I don't wanna live on this planet anymore" thread. A further interesting development of AI application.
So we are building machines that can read our minds, great. There is no way that could end bad.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 01:48 PM   #3746
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

You guys watch too many bloody movies.

This is huge. The use-cases for the medical field could be massive. Being able to know if someone in a coma is in pain or discomfort, or being able to communicate with someone who has had a significant injury that has left them unable to communicate through normal means.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2023, 01:58 PM   #3747
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post

This is huge. The use-cases for the medical field could be massive. Being able to know if someone in a coma is in pain or discomfort, or being able to communicate with someone who has had a significant injury that has left them unable to communicate through normal means.
I've read it, and don't quite understand. I need a layman's translation. I can't quite figure out if the model is entirely creating the images from the brain scan, or if it has those images in the training set, and using the keywords in reconstructing an already known image, kind of matching to what it already knows. So without the training data matching, you couldn't scan someones brain and have an image extracted of what they are thinking about. The wording is pretty impenetrable.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 02:13 PM   #3748
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Read through some of the Twitter threads from the linked comment above, it goes over some of this. Long and short of it if I'm understanding it correctly is that yes, the images were part of a massive training set (just shy of 25,000 different images) but just under 1,000 images were reserved for performing the test. But once you're at this stage, the next step is getting it to start piecing together imagery extrapolated from what imagery it has been trained on and small deviations in the fMRI scans. An example might be the patient imagining a brown teddy bear and the model picking up on that small difference and being able to render it, though it was never specifically trained on an image of a brown teddy bear. Then the next time, it might be a brown teddy bear wearing a hat instead of a ribbon or bowtie.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2023, 02:21 PM   #3749
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Good but still just baby steps. AI will have to know everything I might know in order to picture what I know. I have seen things that nobody knows I have seen and I don’t believe AI will ever guess.
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 02:44 PM   #3750
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I can't quite figure out if the model is entirely creating the images from the brain scan, or if it has those images in the training set, and using the keywords in reconstructing an already known image, kind of matching to what it already knows.
From what I can tell the images are in the training set, so in the same way if I type "red bear" into Stable Diffusion it's going to create an image of a red bear.

What it sounds like in this case is rather than words "red bear" the input is the fMRI data.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2023, 02:46 PM   #3751
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was a bit confused at how they mention the keywords in the paper, but I couldn't figure out where they come into play.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 08:48 AM   #3752
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sadly he qualifies this as "not aliens":

https://twitter.com/user/status/1636013347224133635

Still will be interesting to see what has been discovered.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 09:00 AM   #3753
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
So we are building machines that can read our minds, great. There is no way that could end bad.
Time to watch Minority Report
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 09:01 AM   #3754
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post

Liquid water? That's my guess
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 09:02 AM   #3755
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post

These things always turn out to be exciting for science people but boring for regular people. It'll be like, oh there's evidence of a volcano erupting 500 years ago, or we found some weird particles in the air that could be a sign of microscopic life, which is cool but doesn't really mean anything unless you're invested in science stuff.

Now if it's like oh we found some alien ruins or discovered some full sized alien bugs or animals, that would be some ####.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2023, 09:06 AM   #3756
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

It's just going to be granular scientific milestones that mean absolutely nothing to most people. Same thing that is announced regularly through organizations like NASA, academia, etc. Probably the discovery of some chemistry in the crust or atmosphere. Don't get your hopes up for anything mind-blowing.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 10:25 AM   #3757
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post

You should play Atomic Heart as it may change your perception of AI involvement with a human's mind.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 12:53 PM   #3758
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
These things always turn out to be exciting for science people but boring for regular people. It'll be like, oh there's evidence of a volcano erupting 500 years ago, or we found some weird particles in the air that could be a sign of microscopic life, which is cool but doesn't really mean anything unless you're invested in science stuff.

Now if it's like oh we found some alien ruins or discovered some full sized alien bugs or animals, that would be some ####.
Haha, nailed it. It’s an active volcano

https://twitter.com/user/status/1636066117344014343
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 01:11 PM   #3759
Knut

Exp:

I really should not have put money on it being The Proto-Molecule.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2023, 01:15 PM   #3760
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knut View Post
I really should not have put money on it being The Proto-Molecule.
It certainly would make things more interesting

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
biology , chemistry , physics , research , science