Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2021, 11:33 PM   #121
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Yep, love Cal Auto, have used them for years. Always check groupon or ask them about their deal for bringing a food donation. They're dirt cheap with either, and I have never had issues with excessive cracks after (usually only replace when I buy another used vehicle).
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2021, 08:20 AM   #122
GrrlGoalie33
First Line Centre

Exp:

we got lucky this year in regard to registration. In 8 years since we've been together the registration has always been in my name and registration renews in July. Last year we got a new car as the hail storm wrote off our old one and now the registration is in my partners name and renews in April. We renewed it a couple of weeks ago so got lucky. We have auto-renew set up on the new plate so should be good to go now.
GrrlGoalie33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 08:46 AM   #123
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Always check groupon
They mentioned you can just ask for the Groupon deal. Saves them a bunch of money, saves you hassle.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2021, 03:05 PM   #124
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Speaking of license plate renewal, I have a 3rd hand story to share.

My wife's coworker has a friend who was on a work visa and was applying for permanent residence status. One of the requirements to switch over to PR is to "leave Canada" and come back to the residency status change.

Many people just drive to the nearest US border and turnaround to satisfy the "leave Canada and come back" requirement. The friend did that on a Saturday afternoon driving to the Montana border and turned back.

Everything went well, the friend went to the States and came back to Canada. But upon coming back at the Canadian border patrol, a police officer there noticed that her license plate had expired, issued her a ticket. But they would not allow her to drive off.

So what do you do in the middle of nowhere and no vehicle?

She had to call a friend to drive all the way down from Calgary to the border to rescue her. That took a few hours. And then they were trying to go to a registry in the next small town to get the license renewed, but of course it was closed because it was a weekend. At the end, they had to go back to Calgary, waited for Monday morning, got the license plate renewed and drove all the way back to the border to pick up the car.

The border patrol was "nice enough" not to impound her car and let her parked there for free over the weekend.

The total cost for this little mishap? Back and forth driving between Calgary and the Montana border, lost wages for 2 people taking Monday off, plus gas, paying off the ticket, etc - probably close to $2K.
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 04:39 PM   #125
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Yep, love Cal Auto, have used them for years. Always check groupon or ask them about their deal for bringing a food donation. They're dirt cheap with either, and I have never had issues with excessive cracks after (usually only replace when I buy another used vehicle).
I requested a quote and very quickly the following arrived in my inbox:

Thank you for choosing Cal Alta for your auto glass needs. The windshield that you have requested for your [VEHICLE] with no sensors is regularly priced at $XXX with a possible additional charge of $XXX for moulding before GST or any applicable coupon you may have. If you do not currently have any coupons we are running a promotion
for the Veteran's Association Food Bank. With a non-perishable food donation (no minimum or maximum),
you will receive a $120 discount (This promotion cannot be combined with any other offers). If you prefer, you can do a grocery gift card or cheque donation as well (no cash or debit/credit and no minimum/maximum). All you have to do is mention you would like to be a part of the Food Drive
when you call for an appointment. We require same day or 1 day notice for an appointment and approximately 1.5 to 2 hours to complete the work.

For this month only, book your vehicle in at Cal Alta Autoglass and receive a free $24.95 Glass Science treatment with every windshield replacement! Glass Science seals the surface to actively repel water, soil and stains for improved visibility, safety and easier maintenance.

Here at Cal Alta we only install original quality glass but if your shopping around and find a better price we will not be undersold!

Thanks,
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 05:27 PM   #126
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
Speaking of license plate renewal, I have a 3rd hand story to share.

My wife's coworker has a friend who was on a work visa and was applying for permanent residence status. One of the requirements to switch over to PR is to "leave Canada" and come back to the residency status change.

Many people just drive to the nearest US border and turnaround to satisfy the "leave Canada and come back" requirement. The friend did that on a Saturday afternoon driving to the Montana border and turned back.

Everything went well, the friend went to the States and came back to Canada. But upon coming back at the Canadian border patrol, a police officer there noticed that her license plate had expired, issued her a ticket. But they would not allow her to drive off.

So what do you do in the middle of nowhere and no vehicle?

She had to call a friend to drive all the way down from Calgary to the border to rescue her. That took a few hours. And then they were trying to go to a registry in the next small town to get the license renewed, but of course it was closed because it was a weekend. At the end, they had to go back to Calgary, waited for Monday morning, got the license plate renewed and drove all the way back to the border to pick up the car.

The border patrol was "nice enough" not to impound her car and let her parked there for free over the weekend.

The total cost for this little mishap? Back and forth driving between Calgary and the Montana border, lost wages for 2 people taking Monday off, plus gas, paying off the ticket, etc - probably close to $2K.

I probably know that border patrol guard. If so, he's a real power hungry jerk. I never had a run in with him in his professional life but we were once friends and that was tumultuous at times.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 04:58 PM   #127
Superflyer
Close, but no banana.

Exp:

I got a ticket yesterday for 80 in a 60 zone. The thing is that the cop was coming twords me. Can they radar in a car while coming at a person? I have not heard of that before?
I don't know how fast I was going but I just left a stop sign so I don't think I got up to 80 that quick (maybe 100 metres) . It's not like I floored it.
Superflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 06:15 PM   #128
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

How good are you at physics? You could try to prove that it's impossible for your car to even accelerate to 80 km/h in under 100 m.

Some napkin math tells me the average car will take about 90 m to accelerate to 80 km/h when flooring it... so you could have a case if you have a heavier vehicle!

Last edited by malcolmk14; 07-10-2021 at 06:23 PM.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 06:53 PM   #129
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superflyer View Post
I got a ticket yesterday for 80 in a 60 zone. The thing is that the cop was coming twords me. Can they radar in a car while coming at a person? I have not heard of that before?
Yes, they've had that ability for decades.

One of the first tickets I ever got was back in the mid-90s. I was leaving High River on Highway 2A late at night and the only other vehicle on the road was a car heading the opposite direction. Once we passed, I saw him pull a U-turn and he threw on his lights and pulled me over.

I also got one across the divided highway on the Yellowhead west of Lloydminster one time.

I can't tell you about the likelihood of them being calibrated poorly, but in both of my situations, the speeds they got me going were accurate, so I didn't bother fighting them.
Old 07-11-2021, 09:56 AM   #130
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I got one of those coming-towards-me tickets that clocked me a good 10 kph faster than I was going but I can't argue. Even if I'm right my speed is still over the limit , one of those spots on the highway that drops to 80 kph through a busy intersection and I cruise through at 105. He got me at 115!
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 10:03 AM   #131
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superflyer View Post
I don't know how fast I was going but I just left a stop sign so I don't think I got up to 80 that quick (maybe 100 metres) . It's not like I floored it.
Where were you? They usually aren’t running in-car radar in the city, so they may have just estimated.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 11:58 AM   #132
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’ve done several ride-alongs where the officer calibrate his/her radar gun with the tuning fork (it resembles a tuning fork) and leaves it in operation for the shift. The officer watches the speed of approaching cars and sometimes pulls over drivers exceeding the speed limit by ~20 kph. They certainly do use the technology for approaching vehicles.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 12:03 PM   #133
Krovikan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraldsh View Post
I got one of those coming-towards-me tickets that clocked me a good 10 kph faster than I was going but I can't argue. Even if I'm right my speed is still over the limit , one of those spots on the highway that drops to 80 kph through a busy intersection and I cruise through at 105. He got me at 115!
Your in care speedometer may be off, I know when I go by those radar signs my speed is always a few KM slower the speedometer reports.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Krovikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 01:23 PM   #134
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I was on the highway going past Viking. Been a long time since I traveled that road but I should have remembered the speed zone, or at least have noticed the signs. I will pay because I earned it even though $309.00 is kind of a bitter pill.
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 01:35 PM   #135
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I’ve done several ride-alongs where the officer calibrate his/her radar gun with the tuning fork (it resembles a tuning fork) and leaves it in operation for the shift. The officer watches the speed of approaching cars and sometimes pulls over drivers exceeding the speed limit by ~20 kph. They certainly do use the technology for approaching vehicles.
In Calgary?
Old 07-11-2021, 01:55 PM   #136
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
In Calgary?
Yup. The two officers I did a ride along with both used in-car radar and just left it on during their shift.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2021, 02:47 PM   #137
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
In Calgary?
No, RCMP. Rural Alberta
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 04:46 PM   #138
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
No, RCMP. Rural Alberta
That makes more sense to me than using radar in the city, but I guess they'll even run it in town.
Old 07-12-2021, 05:02 PM   #139
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Just eat the ticket and move on. Cop doing his job.
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jordan! For This Useful Post: