Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2021, 01:32 PM   #1261
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
16 year olds can't buy flavoured vapes. Nicotine sales are banned to anyone under the age of 18, just like tobacco.
?

You're saying it's illegal so it cannot happen?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...eens-1.5460482

The rate of vaping among Alberta high school students jumped dramatically from eight per cent in 2014-15 to 22 per cent two years later.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/teen-...nada-1.5487109

The Canadian Tobacco and Nicotine Survey, based on data collected from 8,600 people in November and December 2019, found that 36 per cent of teens in that age bracket had tried vaping, and 15 per cent reported doing so in the past 30 days.

EDIT: As an aside for marketing

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/12/h...g-lawsuit.html

Juul Labs, the vaping company that has long insisted it never marketed its products to teenagers, purchased ad space in its early days on numerous youth-focused websites, including those of Nickelodeon, the Cartoon Network, Seventeen magazine and educational sites for middle school and high school students, according to a lawsuit filed Wednesday by the Massachusetts attorney general.

The suit, brought by the state’s attorney general, Maura Healey, presents some of the starkest evidence to date that the company was targeting young, nonsmokers during its launch period, from June 2015 through early 2016.

The 66-page complaint includes images of young models that it claims were displayed in digital ads on websites, mobile apps and social media. It includes an extensive list of sites where Juul products were promoted that the lawsuit says were clearly aimed at teenagers and even younger children.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...-youth-vaping/

E-cigarette company Juul agreed to pay North Carolina $40 million to settle allegations that the company aggressively marketed its products to young people, leading to addiction to high-nicotine vapes, Attorney General Josh Stein announced Monday.

Last edited by chemgear; 07-04-2021 at 01:37 PM.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 02:07 PM   #1262
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
Holy smokes fresh made coconut buns from the bakeries in China Town are so insanely tasty. Wow.
One of my favorites! Try the pineapple buns next time, if you haven't before!
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2021, 02:19 PM   #1263
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
WRMMH is going for sushi on my own sometimes (like tonight). I can order all the weird and tasty stuff I want, I drink lots of Japanese beer, and I end up always just enjoying my own company. I’m starting to enjoy going to restaurants more and more on my own in general as I get older. Some people find it weird, but I just love it.
Being a guy who lives out of his suitcase due to work, I've gotten used to it while on the road and while many meals are had with clients and/or team members, I've found myself making time to be able to enjoy meals alone. Enjoy doing it at the bar alone, but also at a table alone - very different experiences, as you meet a lot of interesting people seated at the bar.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2021, 04:03 PM   #1264
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
I first had pineapple buns at the UVic cafeteria my first year University. They weren’t labelled or anything. Just a little bin of delightful ness I had never had before. I left UVic back to Calgary the next school year and spent the next almost decade in Calgary. Searching for this glorious bun. Any time I was in the grocery store I’d scout the Asian sections and nothing (should have gone to TNT in hindsight).

Anyway. One of the first things I hunted down when moving back to the coast. So good.
Old 07-04-2021, 04:39 PM   #1265
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
?

You're saying it's illegal so it cannot happen?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...eens-1.5460482

The rate of vaping among Alberta high school students jumped dramatically from eight per cent in 2014-15 to 22 per cent two years later.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/teen-...nada-1.5487109

The Canadian Tobacco and Nicotine Survey, based on data collected from 8,600 people in November and December 2019, found that 36 per cent of teens in that age bracket had tried vaping, and 15 per cent reported doing so in the past 30 days.

EDIT: As an aside for marketing

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/12/h...g-lawsuit.html

Juul Labs, the vaping company that has long insisted it never marketed its products to teenagers, purchased ad space in its early days on numerous youth-focused websites, including those of Nickelodeon, the Cartoon Network, Seventeen magazine and educational sites for middle school and high school students, according to a lawsuit filed Wednesday by the Massachusetts attorney general.

The suit, brought by the state’s attorney general, Maura Healey, presents some of the starkest evidence to date that the company was targeting young, nonsmokers during its launch period, from June 2015 through early 2016.

The 66-page complaint includes images of young models that it claims were displayed in digital ads on websites, mobile apps and social media. It includes an extensive list of sites where Juul products were promoted that the lawsuit says were clearly aimed at teenagers and even younger children.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...-youth-vaping/

E-cigarette company Juul agreed to pay North Carolina $40 million to settle allegations that the company aggressively marketed its products to young people, leading to addiction to high-nicotine vapes, Attorney General Josh Stein announced Monday.
Hey sorry to burst your bubble after all that work but OP claimed vapes were legal for all ages. Good job sourcing your info though lol.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 05:41 PM   #1266
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Thanks! I will definitely try the pineapple bun next time, which will likely be tomorrow because it's doubtful I can wait that long.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 07:05 PM   #1267
Titan2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
Thanks! I will definitely try the pineapple bun next time, which will likely be tomorrow because it's doubtful I can wait that long.
Where?
Titan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 08:36 PM   #1268
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Hey sorry to burst your bubble after all that work but OP claimed vapes were legal for all ages. Good job sourcing your info though lol.
No I didn't, I said they could buy them

If the whole 'well they're illegal under 18 anyway' argument has any merit then flavored tobacco should have never been banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insufficient Funds View Post
And this makes you happy? I can see it, sometimes stupid things make me laugh too
Haha, well I suppose that's one way to look at it, but no I'm just in the wrong thread
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2021, 11:28 PM   #1269
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

When you finally have a good date with a good person, and it feels right. And you know you slayed the evening, conversation and experience, and she gives you that second look over her shoulder as she's leaving that tells you she's into you.

You drive home and walk in like a total rockstar and toss your keys and kick up your feet.

One of the best kind of moments.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2021, 10:26 PM   #1270
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Went out for dinner tonight, and the server and the group at the next table each compliment my kids for being so polite.

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Puppet Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2021, 10:50 PM   #1271
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default You Know What Really Makes Me Happy v2...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I don't have skin in this game, but the ban on flavored tobacco is so dumb.

That's the equivalent of Alberta saying we will allow beer sales, but we will only allow the sale of bad tasting beer to curb consumption.

That’s exactly what it is, and exactly the point. Don’t make tobacco more appealing because it’s harmful. Edit: if you mean they should just ban it completely then I’m on board.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 10:51 PM   #1272
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Guy View Post
Went out for dinner tonight, and the server and the group at the next table each compliment my kids for being so polite.

I’m sure they sit nicely when you’re not pulling their strings
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2021, 12:20 AM   #1273
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Let me guess... You promised them a stop at Dairy Queen on the way home.
Old 07-10-2021, 08:22 AM   #1274
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Let me guess... You promised them a stop at Dairy Queen on the way home.

Actually, that group at the next table bought them ice cream because they were so impressed!

- Surferguy
The Following User Says Thank You to Puppet Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2021, 09:38 AM   #1275
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Actually, that group at the next table bought them ice cream because they were so impressed!

that's awesome! the only kicker i'd have with that with my kids is that my kids are really well behaved... until they get sugar - then all bets are off (you can tell they don't get sugary stuff very often). we'd be dealing with wired kids all the way home and into the evening! dessert is a very rare thing in our house - if the kids do get a treat that will 'hop them up', it's usually earlier in the day - likely after lunch so they have hours to burn off the sugar hit!
Old 07-11-2021, 12:31 PM   #1276
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

i got a call this morning from the guy that runs one of the bands i'm in - mike.

a little history on the band - i joined in 2013 and since then the only guys still in the band from back then are myself (bass) and mike (lead guitar/vocals). we've had lots of drummers, keyboardists, sax players, guitarists come and go over the years. most of those guys have moved on due to other commitments. anyways, we haven't done a thing in forever becuz of covid and mike's been playing with a tragically hip cover band for a bit and really enjoying "not being the guy in charge".

so yea... back to today's phone call. mike called up and asked if i was available to play a gig on july 31 - since i don't have much of a life i'm able to make it. he was pumped and then came the best part - i was the last guy he called (becuz i'm always a yes)... he's got all the guys from when i first joined the group back together for the gig. it's going to be awesome!! i can't wait to see these guys! it's going to be soooo much fun!!

this is the original group back in 2015 playing up at sunpeaks...
Old 07-11-2021, 06:05 PM   #1277
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc-chris View Post
i got a call this morning from the guy that runs one of the bands i'm in - mike.

a little history on the band - i joined in 2013 and since then the only guys still in the band from back then are myself (bass) and mike (lead guitar/vocals). we've had lots of drummers, keyboardists, sax players, guitarists come and go over the years. most of those guys have moved on due to other commitments. anyways, we haven't done a thing in forever becuz of covid and mike's been playing with a tragically hip cover band for a bit and really enjoying "not being the guy in charge".

so yea... back to today's phone call. mike called up and asked if i was available to play a gig on july 31 - since i don't have much of a life i'm able to make it. he was pumped and then came the best part - i was the last guy he called (becuz i'm always a yes)... he's got all the guys from when i first joined the group back together for the gig. it's going to be awesome!! i can't wait to see these guys! it's going to be soooo much fun!!

this is the original group back in 2015 playing up at sunpeaks...

- Surferguy
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Puppet Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2021, 06:19 PM   #1278
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Just got back from a sail on Glenmore reservoir, felt great to be out on the water with no one around. Gorgeous day with some clouds for shelter. Then the wind picked up, I had some great tacks...and then my boat broke. Fortunately the fairlead flew straight up then landed in my cockpit, and I was able to limp back to the dock. She's 49 years old, so I guess parts falling off shouldn't be unexpected. I feel the same way some days.
Look at you sailing around....if only we could all be 1%ers like Captain Hook here!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 07:52 PM   #1279
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

My brother made the trip from his home in Northern Minnesota to come see mother and myself. He escaped the border issues by using his Canadain passport (has dual citizenship) along with the results of a Covid test. Arrived last night and will be here for the week.
Old 07-11-2021, 08:57 PM   #1280
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Look at you sailing around....if only we could all be 1%ers like Captain Hook here!
You'll have to cry yourself to sleep in your accountant issued helicopter. Thoughts and prayers.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote