Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2017, 12:42 PM   #141
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Man I'm cynical. He got caught, he got outed and this is a public relations spin. Whether he is genuinely remorseful, or it this is to merely reduce the heat on him and gain him some sympathy will be decided by his future actions.

Its equivalent to a murderer being found guilty and pre-sentencing turns and tearfully addresses the family about how sorry he is for the harm he's caused, so the judge will go a little lighter on him.

Hey, maybe he gets help, or maybe he starts doing charity and PR work and tries to do something to clean up hollywood.

But this wasn't one woman that he did this too, he had no regrets when he did it. So great that he owned it once the horses escaped from the barn so to speak, but he needs to do a lot more then write a nice statement.
As an artist he has the advantage that if he handles this in an appropriately contrite manner, hence his statement, he has a fan base that will give him a pass. As long as this is all that comes out he'll stay low for a while then resume his career, he'll take a bit of a hit but otherwise be ok.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 12:43 PM   #142
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

What we're going to see now is the Hollywood PR spin playbook

"I'm sorry I did what I did, but with the help of my significant other, and the church, I'm going to come through stronger and a better person. I'm going to go into treatment (At a lush $1000.00 per day spa), so I can get a handle on what I did as a persons"

To me, this is more about saving bank accounts and careers then being sorry about what they did . . . no correct that, they're sorry that they got caught or outed for being the dirtbags they are. If nobody would have come forward they would have kept doing what they're doing.

If these people come out and work with these victims and victim groups and stand up and publicly speak about what they did and work to fix the system, then yeah, I'll believe them and respect them.

but right now, the biggest winner in this whole thing, isn't the studios, or the victims or the perpetrators, its the PR firms that are working on the outed, and desperately trying to find the next big paycheck.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 12:44 PM   #143
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
wow! best thing I've read so far, and gives me greater understanding.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 12:44 PM   #144
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Man I'm cynical. He got caught, he got outed and this is a public relations spin. Whether he is genuinely remorseful, or it this is to merely reduce the heat on him and gain him some sympathy will be decided by his future actions.
Spin? Spin is when you offer a biased interpretation of events. His statement seems like the exact opposite of spin. What part of it do you think is spin?

To me it reads like he acknowledges the women's version of events, accepts responsibility, and apologizes. What more could he do at this point?

Quote:
Its equivalent to a murderer being found guilty and pre-sentencing turns and tearfully addresses the family about how sorry he is for the harm he's caused, so the judge will go a little lighter on him.
Or a murderer could be doing all of that genuinely.

Quote:
Hey, maybe he gets help, or maybe he starts doing charity and PR work and tries to do something to clean up hollywood.

But this wasn't one woman that he did this too, he had no regrets when he did it. So great that he owned it once the horses escaped from the barn so to speak, but he needs to do a lot more then write a nice statement.
Okay, well time will tell on that one. For now, it's a great statement and one that is much more helpful to his victims than "I don't recall." Did a PR firm help with it? I would hope so. You'd have to be an idiot to be in this much hot water and not employ a PR firm.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 12:45 PM   #145
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What we're going to see now is the Hollywood PR spin playbook

"I'm sorry I did what I did, but with the help of my significant other, and the church, I'm going to come through stronger and a better person. I'm going to go into treatment (At a lush $1000.00 per day spa), so I can get a handle on what I did as a persons"

To me, this is more about saving bank accounts and careers then being sorry about what they did . . . no correct that, they're sorry that they got caught or outed for being the dirtbags they are. If nobody would have come forward they would have kept doing what they're doing.

If these people come out and work with these victims and victim groups and stand up and publicly speak about what they did and work to fix the system, then yeah, I'll believe them and respect them.

but right now, the biggest winner in this whole thing, isn't the studios, or the victims or the perpetrators, its the PR firms that are working on the outed, and desperately trying to find the next big paycheck.
Speaking of . . . The woman who is behind the PR firm working for Harvey Weinstein.

https://www.thecut.com/2017/11/salli...anagement.html
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 12:57 PM   #146
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Nobody commenting on the numerous times Louis used the word admired in his apology? Just seems a little off putting to me.

Leary did a but years/decades ago about Hollywood and just coming out and saying sorry, doing rehab and then making a big comeback. This #### has been happening since the beginning.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 01:02 PM   #147
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anthony Edwards, just released a statement about being abused as a teen by Gary Goddard, a seemingly small time director/producer.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 01:04 PM   #148
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
How do you think all these victims have been feeling for years (decades)?
Maybe I'm unclear at the sentiment of your post and why that was directed at me, but I'd imagine they feel awful beyond what words can describe. And I never stated anything contrary to that, so your question confuses me.
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 01:10 PM   #149
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
Nobody commenting on the numerous times Louis used the word admired in his apology? Just seems a little off putting to me.

Leary did a but years/decades ago about Hollywood and just coming out and saying sorry, doing rehab and then making a big comeback. This #### has been happening since the beginning.
Big time. It's such a hollow apology. Louis is a Hillary shilling scum bag.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 01:12 PM   #150
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcrunk View Post
Big time. It's such a hollow apology. Louis is a Hillary shilling scum bag.
You know how I know you're a crazy person?
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2017, 01:15 PM   #151
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
You know how I know you're a crazy person?
Because I can't stand the Clintons? I'm not even a Trump supporter but Hillary and Bill should be in jail. The Clinton Foundation is one big money laundering scheme. I'm surprised any Democrats support Clinton after she cheated and screwed Sanders out of the nomination. He probably would have beaten Trump.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:17 PM   #152
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah what a scumbag he is coming right out and legitimizing these womens claims instead denying it and having people cast doubt towards the women coming out. He isn't sorry for what he did he merely said he didn't realize the position of power he had and how it could affect decisions. Were talking about a guy that asked a woman if he could masturbate in front of them, he didn't just pull it out and start yanking. As far as the sexual assault scandals go this is tiny yet his actions gave so much more power to all people coming out now with accusations.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Raekwon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2017, 01:18 PM   #153
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

He's only sorry because he was caught. He sure wasn't keen to disclose his scum bag ways on his own without pressure. Pathetic ####ing celebrities think they are above everyone.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:23 PM   #154
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I know I'm missing something here, but the article I read stated he had 'asked' first. Assuming that's the case, and the other person didn't reject, I fail to see the 'misconduct' there.
Or did I miss somewhere that said he did it without their consent? Re: CK
81MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 01:26 PM   #155
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
He's only sorry because he was caught. He sure wasn't keen to disclose his scum bag ways on his own without pressure. Pathetic ####ing celebrities think they are above everyone.
It's reasonable to be sorry for something once the results of your actions catch up with you.

Maybe he didn't realize asking somebody if he could masturbate in front of them was sexual abuse. If I was going to be sexually abused, I would prefer it to take the form of somebody asking if they could masturbate in front of me and me saying no over basically every other type of sex abuse I can imagine.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:26 PM   #156
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
I know I'm missing something here, but the article I read stated he had 'asked' first. Assuming that's the case, and the other person didn't reject, I fail to see the 'misconduct' there.
He answers it in his apology. His position of power doesn't really make it a question.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 01:27 PM   #157
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
He asked first but as per his statement with the power he had over them its not a question of if they want it more a question of what would happen if they refuse.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 01:28 PM   #158
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Try the decaf. Its not as delicious as outrage but its easier for everyone here.

He may very well be sorry for what he did. You can't hang a no remorse sign on him simply because he didn't call the papers and turn himself into police immediately after the incidents. You can be sorry about something and still not want it to be public. Since you don't actually live inside his head you can't say for certain whether his apology is genuine or not. However, taking it at face value it seems like he acknowledged that he has a problem, is remorseful, and knows he has a long road ahead.

I don't excuse anything that he did but it appears that he owns his actions in his statement.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:30 PM   #159
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

These statements and apologies from Hollywood mean nothing. They are trying to salvage their careers. It is an entirely selfish exercise and people are just happy to make excuses for them because they might be a fan of their work. I could care less if these sex pests ever work again.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:33 PM   #160
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
These statements and apologies from Hollywood mean nothing. They are trying to salvage their careers. It is an entirely selfish exercise and people are just happy to make excuses for them because they might be a fan of their work. I could care less if these sex pests ever work again.
Super hard to tell if you're trolling here. My radar must be wonky.

What do you think they should do if not apologize? Say "eff yeah, grab 'em in the puusssay!"?

Apologizing is the only decent thing to do at this stage for these guys. What's the alternative?