Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2023, 11:53 AM   #1101
cam_calderon
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
I have a few friends that are in sports broadcasting. Honestly, a lot seems to be right place at the right time.

If you're working in radio for example, and the local sports team needs someone, it's an easy transition.

If you're looking to get on TV, networking and taking whatever is out there will get your foot in the door.

If it's play-by-play that you're looking for, you might want to be searching for CHL, and Junior A teams. CHL broadcasters travel with the team, I don't think lower level do, but I could be wrong on that.
I'm in the print and digital media game, but thanks for the reply. Sounds like timing and networking are almost more vital than merit, but I suppose that goes for a lot of industries.
Old 08-14-2023, 09:57 AM   #1102
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I've started doing some free lance recruiting for financial roles, So far I'm working on two one in Toronto and one in Vancouver. I'll post them up here tomorrow in case there's interest.
I am curious to what your role is with these companies. One of the jobs you posted is DMCL. It's the same job and description that's on their website: https://dmclcpallp.bamboohr.com/careers/105 alongside the rest of their openings: https://dmclcpallp.bamboohr.com/careers.

I am familiar with DMCL, as I know a partner there, and they sign off on a couple statements with my clients. Do you call them up and say you'll help them find someone? Did DMCL reach out to you asking for more coverage? Do you interview the candidates and if you like them you pass them along? Does DMCL give you questions they need answered before they reach them? I am guessing you get a fee if you refer them someone. What is the benefit of going through you first, as opposed to applying directly to DMCL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 10:25 AM   #1103
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
I am curious to what your role is with these companies. One of the jobs you posted is DMCL. It's the same job and description that's on their website: https://dmclcpallp.bamboohr.com/careers/105 alongside the rest of their openings: https://dmclcpallp.bamboohr.com/careers.

I am familiar with DMCL, as I know a partner there, and they sign off on a couple statements with my clients. Do you call them up and say you'll help them find someone? Did DMCL reach out to you asking for more coverage? Do you interview the candidates and if you like them you pass them along? Does DMCL give you questions they need answered before they reach them? I am guessing you get a fee if you refer them someone. What is the benefit of going through you first, as opposed to applying directly to DMCL?

Hi Squiggs,

Most companies use a combination of recruiting firms or freelancers like me and their own search.

We are connected with them and have agreed to do a search outside of their own search.

The biggest benefit is that Recruiters can usually find applicants through more active searches. This benefits the applicant because it gets around the pile of applicants that come through their posting for example. We also interview the candidate and pass on the ones that we feel are strong fits, you're not stuck in a mountain of applicants, so the candidate usually gets eyes on their resume and recruiter presentation helps the client understand why we believe they're somebody that should be moved on in the process, as we give a synopsis of the candidate.

There are also other benefits to the client DMCL in terms of candidate vetting for example.

Yes we get a fee, if they select our candidate, obviously I'm not going to go into a great deal of detail.

The other benefit for the potential candidate is that I'm working on other roles for example in the financial world and after a discussion I might also submit for multiple roles.

Hope this helps.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2023, 11:03 AM   #1104
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Hi Squiggs,

Most companies use a combination of recruiting firms or freelancers like me and their own search.

We are connected with them and have agreed to do a search outside of their own search.

The biggest benefit is that Recruiters can usually find applicants through more active searches. This benefits the applicant because it gets around the pile of applicants that come through their posting for example. We also interview the candidate and pass on the ones that we feel are strong fits, you're not stuck in a mountain of applicants, so the candidate usually gets eyes on their resume and recruiter presentation helps the client understand why we believe they're somebody that should be moved on in the process, as we give a synopsis of the candidate.

There are also other benefits to the client DMCL in terms of candidate vetting for example.

Yes we get a fee, if they select our candidate, obviously I'm not going to go into a great deal of detail.

The other benefit for the potential candidate is that I'm working on other roles for example in the financial world and after a discussion I might also submit for multiple roles.

Hope this helps.

I was not asking what/how you got paid. I assume you got paid, but that's between you and the company. I was just was curious as to how the process worked. I have seen recruiters work with companies and they get an exclusive, so it doesn't matter if the company or the recruiter brings in the hire, the recruiter gets paid either way. This allows the recruiter to be able to advertise the company's name. The DMCL posting didn't seem like that one, so I guessed if you bring them someone they hire, that you get compensated for that. As essentially every CPA firm in Vancouver is hiring almost every level, I had not seen them use recruiters before. It's almost gotten to the point where a CPA leaves one firm and walks down the street and starts work at another firm the same day if they want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 05:13 PM   #1105
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've managed to line up interviews with 4 different companies over the last week and half so that is pretty exciting and a promising indicator of the market for my role. Hopefully one of those can turn into an offer although I am a bit concerned that the salary I am asking for might be a bit high. The one company has a four round process which isn't ideal as I feel that two should be sufficient with three being the max.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 06:32 PM   #1106
skudr248
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I've managed to line up interviews with 4 different companies over the last week and half so that is pretty exciting and a promising indicator of the market for my role. Hopefully one of those can turn into an offer although I am a bit concerned that the salary I am asking for might be a bit high. The one company has a four round process which isn't ideal as I feel that two should be sufficient with three being the max.
What’s your travel appetite? I work for a major on a fairly well known deposit in the golden triangle in the PFS stage right now always looking for competent geo’s. They work field season from late April till about Oct and WFH mainly during the winter season (and to be the case for at least the next 2 years).
skudr248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 06:37 PM   #1107
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone have any suggestions for a person who's about to be looking for a new job after 15 years at the same place? General stuff I may not be thinking about
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 07:48 PM   #1108
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by skudr248 View Post
What’s your travel appetite? I work for a major on a fairly well known deposit in the golden triangle in the PFS stage right now always looking for competent geo’s. They work field season from late April till about Oct and WFH mainly during the winter season (and to be the case for at least the next 2 years).
Love to travel and would have no issue working in an environment that involves significant travel but I don't know anything about hardrock geology which I assume that would be. Additionally, I left geology in 2015 after I was laid off in the downturn and have switched careers/industries. But I'm always interested in potentially going back as I loved exploration work so if there is a link or description you can provide feel free to send me a message.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 06:31 PM   #1109
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, today makes it official, this is the longest stretch I've been unemployed since high school. I expected this, but it's still not a good feeling. Think I'll go for a nice long walk tonight to clear my head.

Had first interviews with 3 companies last week; two remote opportunities which sound really awesome, and an on-site opportunity that feels like a bit of a stretch for my skill set. Additionally one of the companies I interviewed with that cancelled the role I was applying for has now brought the posting back. I've reapplied but I'm not sure if I should reach out to the HR contact I had.

Was a good week last week, but today it feels a little hopeless. Guess it's all about mindset. Tomorrow is a new day.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2023, 10:48 AM   #1110
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Well, today makes it official, this is the longest stretch I've been unemployed since high school. I expected this, but it's still not a good feeling. Think I'll go for a nice long walk tonight to clear my head.

Had first interviews with 3 companies last week; two remote opportunities which sound really awesome, and an on-site opportunity that feels like a bit of a stretch for my skill set. Additionally one of the companies I interviewed with that cancelled the role I was applying for has now brought the posting back. I've reapplied but I'm not sure if I should reach out to the HR contact I had.

Was a good week last week, but today it feels a little hopeless. Guess it's all about mindset. Tomorrow is a new day.
Hoping you end up with more than one option out of those. I may be old school however I still believe strongly that a polite post-interview follow up thank you note goes a long ways. Either written, typed, or emailed. Nothing wrong also with a friendly follow up as well 1-2 weeks later.

Since you WILL be working again soon (be positive!!) now is a good time to knock off some of your home to-do items which also helps you feel personally productive.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 10:52 AM   #1111
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

What is with recruiters? Maybe I'm wrong here, but man they feel like real estate agents sometimes.

I've gone through a 5 week application process, with 4 interviews and 3 online assessments. We are now at an offer stage, but the recruiter wants a firm yes that I will sign before he goes through the effort of getting the offer. I told him I wanted an offer in front of me before I can give a full commitment, and the effort I've given over the last 5 weeks should be enough to show my interest.

I've had things fall apart at the offer stage before, where they put things in that didn't match what was discussed, etc. No person involved in sales will agree to sign a contract before seeing it. It's time to do your part Mr Recruiter, try to get my ask that you are aware I'd like. If not, then I have a decision to make. But I'm not going to say yes for sure.
Old 08-22-2023, 10:59 AM   #1112
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArcher101 View Post
What is with recruiters? Maybe I'm wrong here, but man they feel like real estate agents sometimes.

I've gone through a 5 week application process, with 4 interviews and 3 online assessments. We are now at an offer stage, but the recruiter wants a firm yes that I will sign before he goes through the effort of getting the offer. I told him I wanted an offer in front of me before I can give a full commitment, and the effort I've given over the last 5 weeks should be enough to show my interest.

I've had things fall apart at the offer stage before, where they put things in that didn't match what was discussed, etc. No person involved in sales will agree to sign a contract before seeing it. It's time to do your part Mr Recruiter, try to get my ask that you are aware I'd like. If not, then I have a decision to make. But I'm not going to say yes for sure.
With such a long onerous process they’re lucky those looking haven’t found other work and that you’ve stuck it out. These lengthy tedious processes some organizations have are a deterrent in themselves. If they can’t short list in less than 3 interactions it makes me wonder about their structure and decision making capacity.
Old 08-22-2023, 11:10 AM   #1113
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Is this the recruitment process before you are even presented to the client ?

How many more levels after that if yes ??

One thing that as bugged me in the past is that multiple recruiters will have the same position listed. Who do you apply through ?

All of them ?
Old 08-22-2023, 11:14 AM   #1114
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
With such a long onerous process they’re lucky those looking haven’t found other work and that you’ve stuck it out. These lengthy tedious processes some organizations have are a deterrent in themselves. If they can’t short list in less than 3 interactions it makes me wonder about their structure and decision making capacity.
Agreed. I'm lucky that I'm currently employed but looking, so not in a rush. But the fact this has gone on so long is making me second guess things. What will it be like to get support if I work there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nufy View Post
Is this the recruitment process before you are even presented to the client ?

How many more levels after that if yes ??

One thing that as bugged me in the past is that multiple recruiters will have the same position listed. Who do you apply through ?

All of them ?
I was presented to the client within a few days of starting the process. I've then had the interviews and assessments directly with the client including CEO and HR of course, with the recruiter just getting feedback now and then.
Old 08-22-2023, 11:26 AM   #1115
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

A few years back I had a senior manager contact at a company and he said to apply. I said great how should we do this? I’d already given him my resume stuff. He put me in contact with their recruiter who after a couple weeks decided I wasn’t a fit. The company hired me directly anyways and it was a successful partnership. So yeah some recruiters aren’t on the ball and juggle too much and miss.

With respect to multiple recruiters and same position - I’d suggest you talk with them all. You get a commitment that they will present you and only then do you agree and sign they can represent you BUT ONLY FOR THAT SPECIFIC POSTED POSITION FOR A 1-2 month time period. I learned this one the hard way too.
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2023, 01:06 PM   #1116
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:

lol, that's so dumb. What's the point of an offer if they're asking you to commit beforehand. That's literally what the offer is and it's not like writing up an offer letter takes ages. You don't even know what you're committing to.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 02:03 PM   #1117
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:

We gave up working with recruiters because they were just like real estate salesmen/used car dealerships. Many were hocking the same "listings" aka positions/applicants and their demands were unreasonable (25% of first year salary etc.).

I grew up with someone who ended up starting up his own head-hunting firm and it works for executive hirings where you are going for the cream of the crop and need to pay extra for that subject matter expert or c-level, etc. but for middle and technical roles, no way was it worth our while to meet these salaries and costs.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 04:00 PM   #1118
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Agreed. I'm lucky that I'm currently employed but looking, so not in a rush. But the fact this has gone on so long is making me second guess things. What will it be like to get support if I work there?

I was presented to the client within a few days of starting the process. I've then had the interviews and assessments directly with the client including CEO and HR of course, with the recruiter just getting feedback now and then.
It's called the pre-close but they are doing it wrong. You are supposed to prep your candidate and confirm that if xyz offer comes in that you will sign and take the job. You are supposed to also discuss all of the reasons why you are excited about the new opportunity versus the terrible job you are currently in.

This gets your mind molded into being excited for when the job offer comes in and stops the candidate from trying to nickle and dime the new company or want to shop the offer to their current company and try to leverage more money which could essentially waste everyone's time in the process.

Kind of like making a big pros and cons list so that you can move quickly to closing stage once offer is made.
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 06:21 PM   #1119
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was feeling pretty hopeless this morning, then got calls for two second interviews and a first interview within an hour. I have no idea how this all works...

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2023, 08:35 AM   #1120
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone know of a registered counsellor / career coach with some real world business experience they would recommend?

Lots of counsellors out there (which is great for coverage under benefits) but I find many of them lack business world (i.e. Finance / Engineering) experience and can't relate.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote