Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2018, 06:57 PM   #161
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Quine is impressive. Plays a solid all-around game, despite limited minutes. Think he's earned an extended stay.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to cannon7 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2018, 07:06 PM   #162
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoggyFlamesFan View Post
I just don't understand what's going on with James Neal. In no way am I wanting to give up on the guy, but something's gotta give. In every one of those blowout games he hasn't registered a single point. He is cursed.

As long as the Flames are winning I'm not sure anything needs to give. They are scoring at a high rate. You can afford to give him time to find his game, or chemistry with team-mates.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2018, 07:08 PM   #163
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
That was 85-86....the losing streak.
Tide turned by a young mike vernon iirc
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 07:08 PM   #164
FlatLandFlamesFan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The Flames had the highest payroll in the league in 89

a 3rd line that could have been a first line on some teams
Simply not possible in todays salary cap era.

But...this is the most fun watching this team since Hartleys' heartattack kids.
The big difference is this is sustainable!

FlatLandFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 07:09 PM   #165
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think that's the point. He's not finding his game right now while playing.

It's not a punishment. Give him a game or two to sit out and mentally reboot.

<in response to Jiri>
Old 12-16-2018, 07:10 PM   #166
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

The other difference was that in '89 we had become used to having very good teams - at least during the regular season. The question was if they could get over the hump.

This team, at the top of the standings, comes after literally decades of regular season performance that ranged from terrible to "good".

So for me I'm trying to enjoy the ride a lot more. In '89 I was spoiled.
In '89 it was an almost no brainer that they would win (at least during the reg. season), so the highs and lows were based on whether my favorite players scored or not.

Peter Maher's book "Eternal Flames" documents the season game by game and is a must read.

https://www.amazon.com/Eternal-Flame.../dp/0771043066
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 07:17 PM   #167
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
This team is nothing like the 89 team which was a juggernaut and along with Montreal, the absolute class of the league. No shame in that..
I would argue that the 2019 Flames' success so far is more impressive given the sheer parity and depth of talent leaguewide.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 07:27 PM   #168
Always Earned Never Given
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I just don't understand what's going on with James Neal. In no way am I wanting to give up on the guy, but something's gotta give. In every one of those blowout games he hasn't registered a single point. He is cursed.
Yes he sure is.... While he is being stitched up, the Blues pull their goalie with 5 minutes left and as soon as Johnny scores the empty netter, Neal is back on the bench missing a couple of shifts with the goalie pulled!

Pretty sure Chucky or Backs would have tried to feed him.
Always Earned Never Given is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Always Earned Never Given For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2018, 07:39 PM   #169
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

As far as 89 goes, totally different mindset. Flames were expected to win. Recall the season before they also had won the Presidents trophy. Season before they finished second in the league.

So, similar to the Stamps the last few years, regular season meant nothing, no matter the stats they pile up, it was all about the playoffs and the cloud overhanging really the previous 5 or 6 playoff seasons. Oilers loss in 83,84,Jets loss in 85 and 87, Oilers loss in 88.

So this is a treat. The defense playing out of this world with their aggressive play at the blue line. JG SM and EL looking untouchable often. Aggressive forecheck, able to be physical and smart in their own zone. Smart smart hockey, played at a high tempo for the most part. Guys like Ryan and Czarnik and now Quine coming out of the clouds to play a key role. Same goes for Hathaway. Scoring from the second and third line is a given, not a bonus.

On 88 and 89 the season didn't start until after the regular season was done and was tough to get excited. This season it appears that the way Bill Peters has transformed these guys and made them all better as individuals and a team.

Its hard not to think ahead about 4 and a half months, but a lot of things between now and then.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2018, 07:42 PM   #170
FlamesAreOne
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I can't believe we have Lindholm and Hanifin locked up for so long, for so cheap.
FlamesAreOne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to FlamesAreOne For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2018, 07:44 PM   #171
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
Gaudreau on pace for 36g and 108pts
Tkachuk on pace for 36g and 96pts
Monahan on pace for 48g and 94pts
Lindholm on pace for 41g and 89pts
Giordano on pace for 15g and 88pts
####, if they hit those..
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2018, 07:59 PM   #172
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I made this reply to Toonage a while back in the James Neal thread, and suspect that this will not be the last time I reference it.

It's the leprechaun guys...
Quote:
I'm convinced he met a leprechaun, who offered him the choice between:

1.) Having a down year for goals but his team will be 1st in the Pacific

2.) Having a 35 goal season but his team will be fighting it out for a WC

And James Neal went: "Well.... ####"

And here we are.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:12 PM   #173
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

This team needs one more ingredient and I’m not sure what that is yet. My expectations have already been exceeded and for that I point to Peters .

Something about Peters feels like Bob Johnson. Badger had something as a coach which infected , injected a certain confidence. Our 88/89 team Believed in the system , our players all were pulling in the same direction and refused to accept defeat.

When I think of how good Mullen, Loob , Gimour were when it mattered .....man it was awe inspiring. Having Suter and Macinnis , Ramage and Macoun , Natress, McCrimmon and Murzyn all mean nasty defence men when they had to be .

Maybe that’s just it.....we need one more defenceman to be a nasty mean but disciplined difference.

I don’t know but these wins are building a confidence where Peters will soon be able to ask more of all these players and get it without question. Man Treliving deserves some credit for what he’s done bringing Bill in to replace Gluegun.

And Depth.....wow ....getting the effort and results from Quine , Valimaki and all the young players we’ve had to lean on is impressive.

The future is bright.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EVERLAST For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2018, 08:16 PM   #174
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:

nm

Last edited by Buzzard; 12-16-2018 at 08:40 PM.
Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 08:27 PM   #175
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
As far as 89 goes, totally different mindset. Flames were expected to win. Recall the season before they also had won the Presidents trophy. Season before they finished second in the league.

So, similar to the Stamps the last few years, regular season meant nothing, no matter the stats they pile up, it was all about the playoffs and the cloud overhanging really the previous 5 or 6 playoff seasons. Oilers loss in 83,84,Jets loss in 85 and 87, Oilers loss in 88.

So this is a treat. The defense playing out of this world with their aggressive play at the blue line. JG SM and EL looking untouchable often. Aggressive forecheck, able to be physical and smart in their own zone. Smart smart hockey, played at a high tempo for the most part. Guys like Ryan and Czarnik and now Quine coming out of the clouds to play a key role. Same goes for Hathaway. Scoring from the second and third line is a given, not a bonus.

On 88 and 89 the season didn't start until after the regular season was done and was tough to get excited. This season it appears that the way Bill Peters has transformed these guys and made them all better as individuals and a team.

Its hard not to think ahead about 4 and a half months, but a lot of things between now and then.
I wouldn't be surprised if they compete for the President's cup this year but underwhelm in the playoffs - the lose before you win thing. But next year and beyond may have that feeling of inevitability that you're talking about.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2018, 08:34 PM   #176
Owen15
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brouhaha View Post
Wow! What a difference 1 month and a half make. In October, we went 3 - 6 - 1 (after the infamous 9 to 1 humiliation vs Pitt at home), lost in the shootout next game vs Washington. We ended October winning 2 straight vs Toronto and Buffalo. So, after the Wash. game, we were 3 - 6 - 2. Remember this?

People were calling for heads to roll! Brody should have been traded. Treliving should have been fired for his moves with players and coach. It was a complete meltdown from a fair number of people here in CP. Since then, unless I missed something, the Flames have gone 19 - 4 - 0. I had to look a few times to make sure if that's accurate. I'm sure someone can take a quick peek and see if that is indeed true.

I have cheered for the Flames since the early 80s. Yes, I am over 40 lol! As has been mentioned by a few people already, I love seeing this team win in so many ways. Low scoring, tight games, blowouts, holding on for wins, clutch performances, so much fun to watch! After last year's performances, boring hockey, poor home record, this is so refreshing.

I am also excited by what I am seeing with this particular group of players. They are winning in spite of Neal and Smith's poor starts to this season. I am hopeful they can turn things around. That's part of what a team does; pick each other up even when some are struggling, and still find ways to WIN!!! Love it so far.

Go Flames Go!
Dare to dream... I feel the same. It’s like do I need to pinch myself, is this really our team?

So many times expectations have gotten high and disappointments ruined them. It’s hard as a Calgary fan, but I’m all in. This team can achieve a lot.
Owen15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 08:38 PM   #177
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
The 89 team simply murdered opponents. It was the one year I thought the team had true killer instinct.
I think the present Flames are pretty confident in their ability to come back but if that is a true killer instinct, I am not sure.

I think to have true killer instinct, the present team needs more toughness and the lack of it is what worries me a bit. They are showing more and are starting to come to each others aid but think they need more.

I would hate to upset their chemistry now though. That is very important as well.

I don't mean toughness by having players who can fight. I mean toughness by having players who can take care of business by themselves and play a regular shift. Not players who mainly fight and play 4 to 5 minutes.

If you take a look at the 89 Flames, they had Otto, Peplinski, Hunter, MacDonald, Roberts, and Patterson up front...and Gilmour could agitate as good as any of them as well as contribute offensively. Then we had MacCrimmon, Ramage, even Macoun rounding up the back end.

They were tough, not dirty, and they had that killer instinct.

The only Flames I would really consider tough are Chucky, Girodano, and Hamonic. I am worried that the present Flames might be pushed around a bit.

As far as comparing defense of the 89 Flames and our present team, I think our present team can hold their own. They are certainly more mobile...maybe not as tough but certainly as mobile or better.

I think Giordano is as good as MacInnis although in 89, MacInnis literally had Roy shaking whenever he had the puck. That intimidation was a big factor against the Habs. I think Hanifin will become as good as Suter.

So in summary, the two things that worry me a bit with our present Flames are team toughness and goal tending. The goal tending seems to be sorting itself out somewhat but it is certainly not ideal.

Last edited by redforever; 12-17-2018 at 09:02 AM.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 08:56 PM   #178
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
This team is nothing like the 89 team which was a juggernaut and along with Montreal, the absolute class of the league. No shame in that.

Maybe it’s the coach but I get some 2004 vibes from this team but they are certainly constructed very differently.

I'm with you on the coach...was quite concerned when Tre hired Peters...didn't look like a guy who was going to lead the team to the promised land, but he had a difficult and poorly constructed team in Carolina. Then with Tre bringing the trade with Carolina and players from there, I thought ... well, not good things.

I'm turning the corner and becoming a Bill-liever though. I think he has learned (how to lose?) and has figured out how to motivate his team and control their fragility. I see signs of the "workboots" 2004 team that Sutter built, but also signs that they forget themselves every once in a while, and start reading their own news reports of how wonderful they are. Then they get spanked.

A few tougher player pieces to add for the last half and playoffs, some serious discipline to remember to work ALL the time and not slack off on the checking/skating part of the game (like today when they stopped skating and immediately got the first goal scored on them), and they'll be a serious contender.

And maybe more.
taxbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 08:56 PM   #179
Redrum
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hate to nitpick but any idea what's going on with the ATL? I saw it briefly then it disappeared. It would be awesome to read before I have to be sober again.
Redrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 09:02 PM   #180
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
Hate to nitpick but any idea what's going on with the ATL? I saw it briefly then it disappeared. It would be awesome to read before I have to be sober again.
Shows for me. Page 1, post #21.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote