Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2022, 10:31 AM   #1801
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm guessing it will be $500 USD, so ~$650 CAD. For me I don't think I will get it at launch, had a PSVR that I enjoyed and was a really cool experience but just didn't like being in the helmet that much.

(As an aside if anybody is looking for a OG PSVR I just put mine up for sale in the Buy And Sell forum).
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 07:34 PM   #1802
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
I'm seeing people whining about how it's not wireless like the Quest 2 so they aren't going to get it. They don't realize the Quest 2 is pretty much a tablet you put on your face while the PS VR2 runs off of the PS5.

There is AirLink for PCVR but I've heard even people with good connections say it's inconsistent and they prefer wired.
Yeah Sony would be stupid not to take advantage of the power of the PS5. Plus it makes it a lot cheaper.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 01:43 AM   #1803
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm seeing people whining about how it's not wireless like the Quest 2 so they aren't going to get it. They don't realize the Quest 2 is pretty much a tablet you put on your face while the PS VR2 runs off of the PS5.

There is AirLink for PCVR but I've heard even people with good connections say it's inconsistent and they prefer wired.
Yep, to play the high end stuff you need to be wired to your PC just like PSVR2
Old 02-26-2022, 11:49 AM   #1804
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Xbox S available - solid stock for most of the month so far. Emulation?

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B09S9BX3QF
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 09:57 AM   #1805
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

I'm still not seeing the value in buying the S over the X. You just know that games will always be half-assed when playing on the S.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 10:30 AM   #1806
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm excited for the PSVR2. Finally proper controllers instead of those crappy move controllers. The haptic feedback will be awesome IMO. And I don't mind it wired as long as it's one wire, and not the monstrosity that is the PSVR. It's a bit of a pain plugging all those wires in.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2022, 10:50 AM   #1807
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
I'm still not seeing the value in buying the S over the X. You just know that games will always be half-assed when playing on the S.
Currently there are only a small handful of games that take advantage of the Series X in any meaningful way, the vast majority of the Xbox library is still geared for the Xbox One which the Series S would excel at. Plus there are a ton of awesome indie games on GamePass which it would play just as well as the X. I'm thinking of grabbing one just to hookup to a different TV than my Series X, so I can hop on to play something if I want if the main TV is taken
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 11:34 AM   #1808
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bought a PS5 for my wife to play Horizon: FW a couple weeks ago from some college kid with a Best Buy bot. Seems supply is high and buyers low; was only a $50 premium.

Console is pretty nice; takes full advantage of my setup surprisingly. Appreciate that it has "Performance" modes for most games, so you can get proper framesync at 60/4K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 12:28 PM   #1809
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Currently there are only a small handful of games that take advantage of the Series X in any meaningful way, the vast majority of the Xbox library is still geared for the Xbox One which the Series S would excel at. Plus there are a ton of awesome indie games on GamePass which it would play just as well as the X. I'm thinking of grabbing one just to hookup to a different TV than my Series X, so I can hop on to play something if I want if the main TV is taken
Every new release video comparison I've watched (and poorly optimized re-releases like GTA trilogy) shows a notable drop in resolution, framerate and secondary settings (reflections, shadows, object density, textures, etc.) for Series S. The Series X simply offers a superior experience with better resolutions and framerates being the big differentiators, which I suppose not everyone will appreciate. It's only going to get worse as the generation wears on. By the end of the Xbox One's lifespan, the S was honestly a terrible machine for any new AAA game. I don't see how this ends up any differently with the Series S.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2022, 09:29 AM   #1810
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:

Cordless would be great, but to me where PSVR quietly shines is in weight and comfort. I've tried some stronger headsets that felt terrible after 20 minutes. Considering PSVR2 is actually lighter, I'm very excited. I think you're right... the market has shown the cord is annoying but not a deal-breaker for most.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 12:05 PM   #1811
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
Every new release video comparison I've watched (and poorly optimized re-releases like GTA trilogy) shows a notable drop in resolution, framerate and secondary settings (reflections, shadows, object density, textures, etc.) for Series S. The Series X simply offers a superior experience with better resolutions and framerates being the big differentiators, which I suppose not everyone will appreciate. It's only going to get worse as the generation wears on. By the end of the Xbox One's lifespan, the S was honestly a terrible machine for any new AAA game. I don't see how this ends up any differently with the Series S.
Yeah, I really don't follow Hemi's logic either. Every side-by-side comparo showed the graphical fidelity go roughly in this order every time: Series X > One X > Series S > One S. And it was certainly not by small margins.

The only limitation you hit with the One X is the strictly next-gen titles that won't be made available for it, or titles without cross-gen cross-play.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 12:18 PM   #1812
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Series S is good for the price but unless you are only playing minecraft the Series X is a massive upgrade and there are over 100 games that play better on X and its getting bigger every day
Old 03-07-2022, 11:56 AM   #1813
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds like EB Games might have gotten a big shipment of PS5s in today if people are still looking.

Just got the phone call that my pre-order from the trade in event they had for the PS4 Pro is in.

They are selling in bundles only with an extra controller and a game (Horizon, GT7, or Elden Ring) for $810.

Now the question is if I keep it and have one on the main floor and one in the basement...or do I sell it (If somebody on CP really wants it I can probably be convinced to sell).

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 03-07-2022 at 12:18 PM.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 09:17 AM   #1814
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1501954442433753095

EDIT: All versions still available!

Last edited by chemgear; 03-10-2022 at 10:38 AM.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2022, 11:38 AM   #1815
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
https://twitter.com/user/status/1501954442433753095

EDIT: All versions still available!
Looks like gamestop.ca has Xbox Series X also.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Raekwon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2022, 12:03 PM   #1816
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm just going to say it. I'm pretty underwhelmed with the PS5 and Series X over a year in. Most games still aren't built ground up for the new hardware outside of a small handful of exclusives. Yes games look slightly more detailed but it's very subtle compared to last gen. Horizon Forbidden West looks good but doesn't wow me like the first game nor does Forza Horizon 5 or any of the other releases for ether console. Dying Light 2 looks just like a last generation game for example. Best thing so far about the new consoles is load times.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 12:07 PM   #1817
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I'm just going to say it. I'm pretty underwhelmed with the PS5 and Series X over a year in. Most games still aren't built ground up for the new hardware outside of a small handful of exclusives. Yes games look slightly more detailed but it's very subtle compared to last gen. Horizon Forbidden West looks good but doesn't wow me like the first game nor does Forza Horizon 5 or any of the other releases for ether console. Dying Light 2 looks just like a last generation game for example. Best thing so far about the new consoles is load times.
Frame rates are also much better which is pretty huge IMO
Old 03-10-2022, 12:17 PM   #1818
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yep this will be the last generation of consoles I bother going in early on. A $650 console wasn't worth it to play one 15 hour Ratchet & Clank game in a year and a half.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 12:53 PM   #1819
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Your expectations were too high. Yes it's over a year in, but the consoles are still hard to come by, so the install base is much lower than last gen. Why would devs target current gen only and rob themselves of a lot of extra sales? We won't see any massive improvements in graphics on PS5/XSX until anyone can simply go to a store and buy one off the shelf
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 12:56 PM   #1820
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Frame rates are also much better which is pretty huge IMO
Is it? You still have to choose between framerate/performance or 4K quality on almost all new games. How many generations do we have to wait to get both?

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 03-10-2022 at 12:58 PM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote