Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2022, 07:21 PM   #1701
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Am trying to get my parental units to actually get rid of their junk instead of boxing it and storing in basement or crawl Space. Had the misfortune of having to go see it a couple years ago and definitely felt stressed/anxious at the prospect of it falling upon me to deal with in the future.
Second worse feeling was knowing I have stockpiled my own boxes of cr@p and memory-boxes that haven’t been opened in a few years.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 07:24 PM   #1702
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

opening a junk removal service seems like a smart play for the next 20-30 years.
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Canadianman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2022, 08:38 PM   #1703
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

nvm

Last edited by bigtmac19; 05-26-2022 at 12:56 PM.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 10:42 PM   #1704
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianman View Post
opening a junk removal service seems like a smart play for the next 20-30 years.
The Globe and Mail recently did a story about this. My parents have tons of stuff they need to get rid of too. They’ve started going through some of it and put anything useful on Facebook Marketplace. I’m glad they saved some stuff from my childhood, like my Lego, but I don’t need my Turbo Pascal floppies.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...tering-canada/
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2022, 11:46 PM   #1705
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtmac19 View Post
My sister lives in my late parent's home. It was full to the brim when she moved in. At the time I offered to get a bin and come help her start to get rid of the stuff and make some room to make the house more her own. She declined. I'm completely terrified of what the house looks like now. I have not been through the door since my Dad died in 2011. She has never invited me in and as far as i know has never cleaned it out. It's an older two story home, full basement, completely full of junk. Needless to say we are not very close, and I don't know how to do anything, or even if I can in order to address this situation. She's six years older than me and the house is way too much for one person at the best of times. It's a shame, because I drive by it once in awhile and it just looks more and more shabby every time.
Wrong thread?
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 12:18 AM   #1706
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
My daughter and some other girls I've coached occasionally come out and skate with our shinny group when we are short bodies. They make the rest of us look bad!! We need to tell them nobody forechecks or backchecks, and stop taking 45 second shifts, this is beer league - it should be two minutes or more now. It's also tough for us to adjust to crisp passes that are actually on the tape.

It's a blast!
I bring my son to my weekly game up pick up if he doesn't have school the next day. I've been doing it for three years, minus the Covid cancelled season. What's great is that a handful of guys that always go on the dark team are Oiler fans, and they deck out in Oilers gear...thats not the good part. The good part is that my son wears a Flames jersey and he dangles around those pylons and pretzels at will!

It is fun to have my son out there playing too. I'm hoping to start introducing my other son to the group soon as he's a teenager now too. It's just makes playing hockey so much more fun.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 09:47 AM   #1707
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
bc-chris, did you legit pay someone to throw away like $100G worth of lumber and wood without batting an eye?

Just bugging you. I'm in the process of doing the same with junk my parents say they want to get rid of themselves... but still haven't gotten rid of after a decade. It'll feel great once that stuff is cleared out.

ha! ha! the wood that was tossed was not really usable - not sure why my dad kept it to be honest. the first got-junk truck was nothing but wood! my dad had tons of wood that had been left outside, uncovered - so it was just rotted. there was tons of 'cut offs' that you just don't ever use - it looked like he needed 2x2's at one point and just ripped down 2x4's becuz there lots 1/4"x1.5" wide strips. the amount of particle board and osb was ridiculous. press board shelves from old stereo cabinets and book shelves.... and the list went on and on!
it's not like i didn't grab a ton of still good usable material. probably 3-4 truck loads of good wood that i'll have a use for. i was the most stoked when i found a 4x8 sheet of 3/4" plywood and a bunch of awesome 1.5" thick maple planks!!! SCORE! ha! ha!

it was a lot of work but something that had to be done. i'm pretty sure this is why my dad never wanted to move - he didn't want to go thru everything and chuck stuff out!

i think it's hard for my parents generation - you think about it... their parents lived thru the depression and as a result saved "everything"... and then passed that trait onto their kids. now our generation is seeing the result - parents that don't throw anything away!
Old 05-26-2022, 09:52 AM   #1708
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc-chris View Post
i think it's hard for my parents generation - you think about it... their parents lived thru the depression and as a result saved "everything"... and then passed that trait onto their kids. now our generation is seeing the result - parents that don't throw anything away!

My father in law grew up in England during WWII so he never threw out anything. When we cleared out his condo we were finding mountains of things like jars and bags and anything that he thought would have future use. Plus there'd be multiple jars/cans of certain foods the he'd obviously kept in the event of shortages.

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Puppet Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2022, 11:44 PM   #1709
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Went to watch the Okotoks Dawgs play beaseball in Seaman Stadium. It was the season opener series and turned out to be a great night for baseball.

Old 05-30-2022, 08:56 AM   #1710
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've only been to one Dawgs game but man that was a fun time
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 08:58 AM   #1711
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dawgs games are always fun. Sad I was too young to appreciate the Cannons when they were here, would love some more ball around here
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 09:13 AM   #1712
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
I've only been to one Dawgs game but man that was a fun time
Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Dawgs games are always fun. Sad I was too young to appreciate the Cannons when they were here, would love some more ball around here
I’ve always found the name fascinating, because when I had MLB 1996 on Sega GameGear, I named my create a team the “Calgary Dawgs”…. I was 10…. What are the odds!?
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2022, 10:27 AM   #1713
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

It's a very 90s name. It's not a good name but they probably don't need to change it.

We had season tickets to the Dawgs before the pandemic. It was great fun and cheap for the whole family. My kids were under 12 at the time so they got in free and just sat/played on the berm while my wife and I sat it in the seats. They'd come to the seat for money and head to the concession.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 10:26 PM   #1714
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finally got some answers to a medical issue I've been having. Luckily the very bad things (aka cancer) were ruled out months ago which is great, but there were 2 options left. One of these options would have been lifestyle altering, but today confirmed I only need a minor surgery and everything's gonna be tip top. Surgery date was also substantially sooner than I expected.
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2022, 10:53 PM   #1715
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Kind of weird, but my daughter graduated high school in the same high school I went too.
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 8 Ball For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2022, 11:55 PM   #1716
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 Ball View Post
Kind of weird, but my daughter graduated high school in the same high school I went too.
On man, that would be weird.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 07:41 AM   #1717
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

We saw Clue at the Vertigo Theatre last night. It's based on the 80s screenplay (which is based on the game obviously) and if you've seen the movie you'll know the kind of madcap, physical comedy involved. It was hilarious. We have season tickets at the Vertigo and this was by far the best show we've seen there.

I think this is the last weekend and it's probably sold out, but if you're looking for something to do, I highly recommend it.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Swift For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2022, 09:44 AM   #1718
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watching my daughter graduate from university last week made me happy (and extremely proud!). It's the first university convocation I have attended as I did not go to mine and I kind of wish I had done so now.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2022, 09:48 AM   #1719
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
Finally got some answers to a medical issue I've been having. Luckily the very bad things (aka cancer) were ruled out months ago which is great, but there were 2 options left. One of these options would have been lifestyle altering, but today confirmed I only need a minor surgery and everything's gonna be tip top. Surgery date was also substantially sooner than I expected.
Spoiler!
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 10:03 AM   #1720
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp: