Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-23-2022, 02:48 PM   #1641
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Three words which mean universal happiness: Root Beer Float!

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Puppet Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2022, 03:42 PM   #1642
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

La Pen lost
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2022, 11:57 AM   #1643
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Now that basketball is over talk has turned back to football (NCAA). It's only been 3 months since football ended and the season is still a few months away but I love that radio has turned it's attention back to the grid iron the past week. That makes me happy.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 02:17 PM   #1644
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Today was my first day at my new job.

For the last 5 years I have hated Sundays, I have been tight and dreading Mondays.

Today I couldn't wait to get up and get working.

I know this new role with have issues and problems, but ####, having a new job and being out of my old place really makes me happy.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 03:47 PM   #1645
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Today was my first day at my new job.

For the last 5 years I have hated Sundays, I have been tight and dreading Mondays.

Today I couldn't wait to get up and get working.

I know this new role with have issues and problems, but ####, having a new job and being out of my old place really makes me happy.
Hearing you say this makes me happy UCB. I'm always happy (if not somewhat jealous) to see people who are genuinely happy and excited about their work. I've hated Mondays for many several years and you can definitely see in in my moods as Sunday evening approaches.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2022, 04:53 PM   #1646
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Life is too short to live for 2 days a week.

You do better work when you're passionate about it.

People also need growth, change and variety to be happy.

So concealing yourself from change because it's uncomfortable with a job that pays the bills and is secure is fine and dandy until it wears out its welcome. Eventually you want a change of scenery, and there's no stopping that underlying want.

What kills a person's soul is trying to suppress that need because it disturbs the bubble of routine and safety that you've established, and carrying on putting up with the things you don't like about your job or situation for an extended period.

Getting comfortable with being uncomfortable and following your instincts to move and switch it up rather than suffocating it is how you don't lose decades to the same unmemorable routine, and gives you stories to tell later, void of regret.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2022, 04:55 PM   #1647
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds pretty ideal.

But I think I'll wait to follow my passion till I pay off my mortgage at least.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 08:01 AM   #1648
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post

So concealing yourself from change because it's uncomfortable with a job that pays the bills and is secure is fine and dandy until it wears out its welcome. Eventually you want a change of scenery, and there's no stopping that underlying want.

What kills a person's soul is trying to suppress that need because it disturbs the bubble of routine and safety that you've established, and carrying on putting up with the things you don't like about your job or situation for an extended period.

Getting comfortable with being uncomfortable and following your instincts to move and switch it up rather than suffocating it is how you don't lose decades to the same unmemorable routine, and gives you stories to tell later, void of regret.
I'm trying very hard to instill this in my kids. Life is too short to be unhappy with what you are doing. I wish I had followed my own advice , sadly I have lost decades to the same unmemorable routine.
Old 04-26-2022, 10:25 PM   #1649
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

One of the best posts on CP I've seen in a long time.

Just genuine, and good advice too, applicable to so many situations.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2022, 12:13 AM   #1650
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
One of the best posts on CP I've seen in a long time.

Just genuine, and good advice too, applicable to so many situations.
Thanks for that!

I'm trying to make a gig out of helping people in a coaching/counseling capacity (still in the process of working out the specifics of that end goal), and it bleeds over into CP now and then.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2022, 08:45 AM   #1651
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:

I think you can easily passion your way into working as a Walmart greeter in your 70s and 80s.

I prefer the make-hay-while-the-sun-shines philosophy. Work is to be tolerated and you should be maximizing your dollars per hour. That requires some sacrifice, but I don't agree life can be all sunshine and roses. There's a lot of suffering, but you need to pepper in as many good times as you can.

I like to go for super approachable, attainable fun. I don't work for 18 months and then go on a six-week vacation somewhere, as an example. Every weekend we do fun stuff, during the week I try to get out and do a couple fun things, and every month we do something really fun (camping, snowboarding getaway, party with all my friends, etc.). I mean, just for the fata of it a few weeks ago I rented a limo with my squad and we hit some pubs. It was ridiculous, but hilarious.

All that is to say don't bother trying to find some meaningful, fun, enriching job. There's like one of those for every 1000 people. Do your best to find a job that allows you to maintain your sanity, but more importantly leaves you with the time off to enjoy your life. Labouring just isn't going to be satisfying for most of us regardless of what it is, and being passionate about labouring is out of the question for me and most others.

Also - and not pointing this at djflames in particular as I don't know what his motivational style is - generally try to skip any employer-sponsored motivational speakers. They're there to try to reframe how you view your job in order to squeeze more out of you at the lowest cost possible. Pay a guest speaker $2500 to amp up you team of 300 people? That's cheap manipulation and you should always opt out of attempts to manipulate you into higher productivity without increased compensation.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2022, 09:44 AM   #1652
para transit fellow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Cenus 2021 age information released today. Now I can start five year service projections for the municipalities we work for.

https://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-r...dex.cfm?Lang=E

( note: it's a big deal for me... your mileage may vary)
para transit fellow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to para transit fellow For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 04-27-2022, 12:13 PM   #1653
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Over 1.3 million now. Impressive given the state of the economy for the last decade.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 12:24 PM   #1654
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Edmonton 1.01 milion, we win.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 01:05 PM   #1655
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Edmonton 1.01 milion, we win.
Calgary Metro 1.48
Edmonton Metro 1.42

Pretty close.
Old 04-27-2022, 01:21 PM   #1656
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Calgary Metro 1.48
Edmonton Metro 1.42

Pretty close.
I wonder how they count the Metros these days. I remember in the past Edmonton used to count a larger number of towns around it, while Calgary left many out.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 01:35 PM   #1657
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
I wonder how they count the Metros these days. I remember in the past Edmonton used to count a larger number of towns around it, while Calgary left many out.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmont...politan_Region

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calgar...politan_Region

Listed on each page.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 02:26 PM   #1658
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

So despite being part of the Metro, it looks like as of atleast 2016 Calgary CMA didn't include High River, Okotoks, Strathmore, Turner Valley/Black Diamond, Foothills MD, places which made up about 85K at the time.

Looking at the numbers it seems like they don't count them now either, but I think you can safely say add another 90-100K to the Calgary CMA number to get a more realistic view. Edmonton though does count similar towns in their CMA, which I think is a more realistic way to depict the metro.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 02:40 PM   #1659
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
So despite being part of the Metro, it looks like as of atleast 2016 Calgary CMA didn't include High River, Okotoks, Strathmore, Turner Valley/Black Diamond, Foothills MD, places which made up about 85K at the time.

Looking at the numbers it seems like they don't count them now either, but I think you can safely say add another 90-100K to the Calgary CMA number to get a more realistic view. Edmonton though does count similar towns in their CMA, which I think is a more realistic way to depict the metro.
Edmonton certainly is counting a lot more area in their CMA; 9,438.86 km2 compared to 5,107.55 km2 for Calgary.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 04:44 PM   #1660
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Interesting age stats.
Just think… there will never be more people older than you than there are now.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote