Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2022, 09:30 AM   #3661
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

tomorow is my day in the office, the weather forecast looks conducive to riding with a high of 18 and only a 40% chance of rain; however, the wind is supposed to be 50 kph.

Seems like my mtn bike will not be seeing action for a week or so at least.
Old 06-15-2022, 09:32 AM   #3662
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Ooooof

https://twitter.com/user/status/1537058726997368833
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2022, 09:37 AM   #3663
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Picture doesn't show all the pedestrians standing in the bike lane waiting to j-walk the short distance.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 09:41 AM   #3664
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

that picture is funny........

anyone ride their bike to work today along the river? i drove as there was no way i wanted to battle that wind this morning and then not knowing the pathway conditions coming from the south i did not want to bother risking having to deal with big detours in the morning
Old 06-15-2022, 09:58 AM   #3665
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
that picture is funny........

anyone ride their bike to work today along the river? i drove as there was no way i wanted to battle that wind this morning and then not knowing the pathway conditions coming from the south i did not want to bother risking having to deal with big detours in the morning
lots of little branches everywhere, tree to watch out for in carburn and another just past Glenmore underpass, had to take Ogden road instead of bird sanctuary because water looked to high but others made it through so maybe I just needed to take the detour.
Wind was pretty bad but sort of from the west so you could hide from it a little
Old 06-15-2022, 10:10 AM   #3666
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
What a strange rendering. What is it trying to depict? Why are the parking lanes wider than the driving lanes? How would the bench that lady is sitting at work if a car parked there?
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 12:22 AM   #3667
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

^ clearly it is depicting how cars will always take over bike lanes as their own if paint is the only barrier /sigh
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 09:04 PM   #3668
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

So today I decided to go for a spin out to chestermere. I am biking along 114 st SE right under the stony trail bridge and my garmin varia is warning me about a vehicle approaching and then I hear the vehicle and my spider sense is telling me he is bearing right down on me and he passes and I sweat I felt his mirror brush my arm slightly.

For the life of me I could not understand it as he has lots of room to slide over to his left a bit and the road is wide.

I feel like that is the first time I have ever really been rattled like that. Made me very jumpy until I finally got on the canal trail.

Towards the end of my ride I was passing a guy on his right and I advised him in advance of my intentions, apparently he he heard me say “turn your bike to the right, block the path and then come to a full stop”

I keep telling myself that the trails will dry out soon and I can spend more time on my mtn bike
Old 06-20-2022, 02:46 AM   #3669
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
What's ooof about it? . We have that everywhere in BC and everywhere in Europe. We juat punish drivers more for dooring people and teach the Dutch reach.

The parking lanes are generally wider then the road lanes to accomplish this. Drivers do tend to be more wary of cyclist traffic in this configuration. Since Victoria,Vancouver and Nanimo have g9ne this way of rings have gone down as people get use to it.

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 06-20-2022 at 02:58 AM.
combustiblefuel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 03:02 AM   #3670
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Picture doesn't show all the pedestrians standing in the bike lane waiting to j-walk the short distance.
This is also a fact. We in Van, Vic and Nanaimo introduced 2 way bike lanes . In the beginning all chaos. Now the locals get it ( it wasn't that haf but come tourist season man WTF. Most tourism in American and they just don't get it. I only play bike lane chicken now. Either I hit them or don't. They have insurance and I just don't give a ####. I'm 15 % titanium as is. I was a semi pro cyclist most my youth and early 20s when I earned my cooking red seal. I got no pain nerves in a lot of places that would normally hurt in a crash
Old 06-20-2022, 08:04 AM   #3671
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

A neighbour rolled out his wood bike that a friend made for him to use in the Sunnyside neighbour day parade on Saturday. I was going to roll on it but it corners super wide so I stuck to an old mountain bike instead, but I did take it for a short 1km rip yesterday. It's quite fun but I need to be about 2" taller to ride it comfortably.

Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2022, 01:27 PM   #3672
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustiblefuel View Post
What's ooof about it? . We have that everywhere in BC and everywhere in Europe. We juat punish drivers more for dooring people and teach the Dutch reach.

The parking lanes are generally wider then the road lanes to accomplish this. Drivers do tend to be more wary of cyclist traffic in this configuration. Since Victoria,Vancouver and Nanimo have g9ne this way of rings have gone down as people get use to it.
Garbage design. Paint is not infrastructure.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2022, 01:42 PM   #3673
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:

Obviously the only solution is have bikes ride on the left. Have bikes travel facing head-on to the car traffic so the occupants can see you before they open the doors.

Or lambos for everyone.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 02:24 PM   #3674
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This is also a fact. We in Van, Vic and Nanaimo introduced 2 way bike lanes . In the beginning all chaos. Now the locals get it ( it wasn't that haf but come tourist season man WTF. Most tourism in American and they just don't get it. I only play bike lane chicken now. Either I hit them or don't. They have insurance and I just don't give a ####. I'm 15 % titanium as is. I was a semi pro cyclist most my youth and early 20s when I earned my cooking red seal. I got no pain nerves in a lot of places that would normally hurt in a crash
So you are saying that you are intentionally getting into accidents and hurting people because they don't understand a system that was initially chaos for locals. You sound like a massive ass if that is your philosophy. If people can't easily figure out the infrastructure that isn't a personal problem but one of infrastructure and design.

As for the number of surgical procedures and nerve danage that you have. .. I don't think that makes you invincible in fact quite the opposite.

Last edited by Mean Mr. Mustard; 06-20-2022 at 02:32 PM.
Mean Mr. Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 02:33 PM   #3675
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:

Obviously this doesn't work. They've since redesigned it.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 06-20-2022 at 02:40 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 02:49 PM   #3676
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
So you are saying that you are intentionally getting into accidents and hurting people because they don't understand a system that was initially chaos for locals. You sound like a massive ass if that is your philosophy. If people can't easily figure out the infrastructure that isn't a personal problem but one of infrastructure and design.

As for the number of surgical procedures and nerve danage that you have. .. I don't think that makes you invincible in fact quite the opposite.
It was a flip remark. I actually use a loud bicycle horn. I don't obviously get into accidents but I do cut it close sometimes.

https://loudbicycle.com/
Old 06-20-2022, 03:05 PM   #3677
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It was a flip remark. I actually use a loud bicycle horn. I don't obviously get into accidents but I do cut it close sometimes.

https://loudbicycle.com/
$150??? Wow. My Thunderhorn cost about $12, and is smaller. Too bad I can't find them anymore.
Old 06-20-2022, 03:09 PM   #3678
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had a new one on my ride in this morning. Crossing 20th ave, I have a stop sign, so I stop. Some traffic. There is a pedestrian button, but it's out of the way so I usually just wait. Occasionally a car stops here and I'll wave them to keep going. Well this morning a cop stops. Like, WTF do I do now? Is this a trap? Nope, he just sits, and the car the other direction stops too. I didn't have a lot of choice, I wasn't going to wave a cop through, so I finally went. But if cops can't even get this right, what hope do the rest of us have?
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2022, 08:24 AM   #3679
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wednesday June 22 - what a glorious morning for a bike commute. i felt sorry for all of those riding in their tin coffins
Old 06-22-2022, 08:49 AM   #3680
J pold
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
Wednesday June 22 - what a glorious morning for a bike commute. i felt sorry for all of those riding in their tin coffins
Absolutely true.

The first day I rode without a jacket, beautiful morning.
J pold is offline   Reply With Quote