Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2018, 09:10 AM   #1621
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Reading his response, above, it doesn't seem as though the first two instances were anything but creepy.

He mentioned about the last accuser that he kept records of her account of the night in question, where she blacked out, in case her story changed over time. Which it did. That NDT read the first account and saw a potential future problem arising, and took steps to protect himself at that time (not legally or confrontationally), but by simply saving the written account of the accuser, is noteworthy. He never tried to cover anything up.
Old 12-02-2018, 09:20 AM   #1622
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Reading his response, above, it doesn't seem as though the first two instances were anything but creepy.

He mentioned about the last accuser that he kept records of her account of the night in question, where she blacked out, in case her story changed over time. Which it did. That NDT read the first account and saw a potential future problem arising, and took steps to protect himself at that time (not legally or confrontationally), but by simply saving the written account of the accuser, is noteworthy. He never tried to cover anything up.
I think the second incident is clearly inappropriate behaviour for a boss to his subordinate even only taking Tyson’s characterization into account. She quit her job over it and warned the production company not to hire female PAs. Those actions indicate that there was a real issue and pretty clearly workplace harassment.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 11:48 AM   #1623
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
Seems weird to protest saying it is a sad day. May not be sad for everyone, but certainly sad for some people.
Sure, just likes it’s a sad day anyone is found guilty of anything particularly awful, the difference being that people don’t really seem to care about that unless it’s a famous person.

Not a lot of “gonna be a sad day if...” when regular people are accused of awful things.

I guess my only gripe is this: how can you be sad that you found out something negative about someone that you literally know almost nothing about? None of us know Tyson, we’re not his friends or family or coworkers, and everything he’s admired for remains in tact regardless of whether he’s guilty or not.

Hero worship is just bizarre. On your point about Iggy, would it really be sad? It’s not like he’d be any different of a person, it’s not like his play on the ice is erased or his charity work is all suddenly reversed. Everything that’s ever happened already happened, every good thing and every bad thing remains. Nothing changes. Separate people from their accomplishments, separate their actions from their ideas, and there’s not a lot of sadness to be found.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 12:07 PM   #1624
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

I don't see why it's difficult to understand that people are disappointed (and call it a sad day) when people they admire and respect are accused of something awful. Tyson isn't some ordinary joe, he's a brilliant man that has contributed much to the world. If it turns out that he's a creep, I'm going to consider that to be a sad day. Bob your neighbour, the deli manager at Safeway is pretty replaceable. A guy like Tyson is a lot more rare. If he's a goddamn rapist, he deserves to go to prison. That sucks. He wont be contributing much to the world of science if he's locked in a cell.

Is this really so hard to understand?
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2018, 12:19 PM   #1625
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone have a link to the supposed assault allegations? I read thru the other two and Tyson's responses and they seem like mostly innocent misinterpreted intentions. Not that Tyson shouldn't know better and be acting accordingly. Even if it was his intention to sleep with his assistant, while an obvious power dynamic issue, the story of the encounter at his house is pretty tame. The tattoo thing, for me, its a breach of personal space no doubt, the whole situation could be avoided by simply asking "do you mind if I see the rest?"

The headlines are inflammatory, makes it sound like he reach up her dress or something. He followed a tattoo along her shoulder. Again, touching someone without consent is absolutely not okay, but here's nothing in either of those stories that really change my opinion of him honestly. So I'd be interested in the assault claim.
Old 12-02-2018, 12:23 PM   #1626
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 12-02-2018, 12:40 PM   #1627
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/nosacr...lic-interview/

This accusation goes back a long ways, the accuser confronted him in public in 2010, she does say that she tried to report it to the school authorities after the incident happened and they told her to keep quiet because it would ruin the other persons life. That alone if true is gross.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 01:35 PM   #1628
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default High-Profile Sexual Abuse Epidemic

Why would something as serious as rape not be reported to actual authorities. Why go through the school? What does this even have to do with the school? If there was a murder or theft would you not call the police?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 01:51 PM   #1629
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
If he's a goddamn rapist, he deserves to go to prison.
IF. The fact that mere accusations ruin lives needs to stop.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 02:22 PM   #1630
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Pluto thing is just a weird thing to do. Sounds like he may have had to roll or move some of the dress that was covering her shoulder, which is not something the vast majority of people would think of doing to a complete stranger. Hard for me to understand why he would have thought this was appropriate. Is it sexual assault though?
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 03:23 PM   #1631
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
The Pluto thing is just a weird thing to do. Sounds like he may have had to roll or move some of the dress that was covering her shoulder, which is not something the vast majority of people would think of doing to a complete stranger. Hard for me to understand why he would have thought this was appropriate. Is it sexual assault though?
They were drinking, the only error I think he made was asking "May I". It's one misfired brain synapse. That one particular incident to me IMO is a pretty big stretch to accuse someone over.

The wine and cheese thing, concerning but I think she knew full well she could leave anytime she wanted, or even to not go in.

The Rape accusation, thats the one I think is going to get him. But it's dodgey on the woman behalf. I listened to the first bit and she changed things twice instantly. "I was pretty much a virgin" went to "I only had sex a few times" in the span of seconds. But I also do not like how he went on the offensive about that one and spinning it to where shes not all there mentally.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 03:27 PM   #1632
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
Well that certainly is a very detailed account. Pretty damning and ultimately disappointing. I hope more facts about this can be brought to light so we can know as much of the truth as possible.

And dear god, don't let it be a serial thing. Although I think anyone with the capacity to drug someone and assault them, particularly a friend, and to do so in a matter-of-fact type way, probably has done it more than once.

Last edited by Coach; 12-02-2018 at 03:31 PM.
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 04:15 PM   #1633
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
But I also do not like how he went on the offensive about that one and spinning it to where shes not all there mentally.
I've been thinking about this too, disturbed some by it. Then I was reading some commentary elsewhere that helped this make some sense.

Technically, what we, the general public think, doesn't matter. It's a matter of what the courts think. And yet, the court of public opinion won't wait for the other courts. Should he not present his case then, to the court of public opinion as well? If he's going to be judged in the court of public opinion, he should have his say in it, too.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 04:17 PM   #1634
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Why would something as serious as rape not be reported to actual authorities. Why go through the school? What does this even have to do with the school? If there was a murder or theft would you not call the police?

That's what tends to happen at colleges, remember you're dealing with students here and they're reporting it to receive advice or counseling at well. The fact is, she claims at the time she did reporting it to someone who had a position of authority and as she claims she was coached to keep quiet about it.

Old 12-02-2018, 04:41 PM   #1635
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
That's what tends to happen at colleges, remember you're dealing with students here and they're reporting it to receive advice or counseling at well. The fact is, she claims at the time she did reporting it to someone who had a position of authority and as she claims she was coached to keep quiet about it.
If a copy of that report surfaces and is substantiated Tyson's career is over. And his reputation will forever be destroyed, guilty or innocent.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 04:45 PM   #1636
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
Well that certainly is a very detailed account. Pretty damning and ultimately disappointing. I hope more facts about this can be brought to light so we can know as much of the truth as possible.

And dear god, don't let it be a serial thing. Although I think anyone with the capacity to drug someone and assault them, particularly a friend, and to do so in a matter-of-fact type way, probably has done it more than once.
The account of the alleged rape isn't very detailed at all. She says she had a drink of water from a plastic coconut and then wakes up being raped and then doesn't remember anything until the next day in the afternoon.

That's it.

Maybe he did it, but when you look into details about this women, she comes off as pretty damn crazy.

She's also big into self promotion. Trying to have June 7 known as her day, into cosmic sound healing, and selling workshops to learn that art for up to $2000. Selling 6 tuning forks for $400.

So maybe he did it. Maybe not. The witness is hard for me to take seriously though.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 04:55 PM   #1637
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Except that she has been accusing him of rape for years, prior to “me too”. So pre “Me Too” accusing a famous person of tape wasn’t exactly going to help your tuning fork business. I don’t think you can relate her self promoting with the credibility of her report.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 04:56 PM   #1638
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
The account of the alleged rape isn't very detailed at all. She says she had a drink of water from a plastic coconut and then wakes up being raped and then doesn't remember anything until the next day in the afternoon.

That's it.

Maybe he did it, but when you look into details about this women, she comes off as pretty damn crazy.

She's also big into self promotion. Trying to have June 7 known as her day, into cosmic sound healing, and selling workshops to learn that art for up to $2000. Selling 6 tuning forks for $400.

So maybe he did it. Maybe not. The witness is hard for me to take seriously though.

That's the tough part of it, she makes it sound like he roofied (sp?) her. However she again did confront him twice years ago once in a very public setting.

I don't think being weird and hawking stupid stuff is really all that relevant here.

I don't know how far this will go, its her word against his, there's no physical evidence that it did or didn't happen. But for Tyson, there has to be feelings of terror that other people are going to pop out.

Right now he's a toxic brand though.

Old 12-02-2018, 06:49 PM   #1639
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post

That's it.

She has hints of some odd behaviour, no doubt. But her lapse in memory during a roofie incident is obviously expected. Her recount of all the other events surrounding it is what gives it more credibility, including her alledged interactions with her parents, the school and himself following it.

If she’s been after it since long before he was this celebrity, it makes it even stronger. Who anticipates an astrophysicist is going to end up as some cultural icon?
Old 12-02-2018, 07:08 PM   #1640
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not a big fan of the movement because some of it is just shaming without needing evidence or corroboration, and to me the first two accounts seem fairly trivial to ruin someone's career over. The last one though, seems fairly credible from the amount of detail she went into (and the seriousness of it). If what she's saying is true and she was on the path to these big dreams, it's really unfortunate for her. You'd have to think roofieing someone wouldn't be a one time deal and more people will eventually come forward. Who knows.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote