Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2022, 01:04 PM   #2261
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
This needs to be an NFT.

I'm totally in the dark about why anything needs to be an NFT.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chedder For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2022, 06:27 PM   #2262
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
I'm totally in the dark about why anything needs to be an NFT.
Have you ever heard the phrase ‘jump the shark’? I think NFTs have jumped the shark so creating an NFT of the scene in the show that inspired the term would be ironic. I was joking.
Old 05-08-2022, 09:09 PM   #2263
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Well this was a giant bust
If you’d have bought Cardano the day he posted that, you could have sold it for a 255% return just 6 months later.

I don’t see the value in crypto like he does, but it’s not right to completely misrepresent dino like that.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Fonz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2022, 09:31 AM   #2264
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
If you’d have bought Cardano the day he posted that, you could have sold it for a 255% return just 6 months later.

I don’t see the value in crypto like he does, but it’s not right to completely misrepresent dino like that.
Buy the dip.

PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 08:27 AM   #2265
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

My portfolio is down 47%.
Thankfully it's only play money I can easily afford to lose.

I feel like the crypto bubble shifted to NFTs & now will go somewhere else as NFTs dry up.
The guys making $$ are pumping something new and ahead of the herd of sheep.
This is all investment for flippers with short attention spans and it moves to the next shiny object quickly.
Winsor_Pilates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 11:58 AM   #2266
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
But this is kind of the point. It's not a good investment because it mostly takes luck or market manipulation to consistently make money off of it. There doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason to the market, or long term stability.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2022, 12:04 PM   #2267
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

But he represents crypto as a long term investment not trading the dips trying to get rich so with regards to Cardano he is represented just fine, it was a total turd.

He also plays Bitcoin as a long term investment to get rich which if you got in super early is fine but for people coming late its just super risky with near zero chance of getting rich from it. These days the only ones getting rich are the ones scamming.

This is the issue most people have, its not that Dino made a ton of money on bitcoin its that like so many others that are trying keep the wave going they misrepresent what people are getting into and maybe some genuinely want others to enjoy making money but those days have sailed. Even if someone bought 100k bitcoin would have to double to make 200k, thats a pretty big gamble with 100k on a very volatile market as opposed to the hay days of $200 bitcoin where your 100k would be worth 25million.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Raekwon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2022, 12:25 PM   #2268
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
But this is kind of the point. It's not a good investment because it mostly takes luck or market manipulation to consistently make money off of it. There doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason to the market, or long term stability.
I completely agree in that it's not a good investment - I've tried to discover/understand legitimate value in crypto and have been unable to up to this point. I view the crypto market as gambling and in that sense, dino said to buy Cardano and had I/anyone gambled on that we'd have had an opportunity to cash out a 250% return.

If wanting to judge his advice from an investment perspective, I think it's too early to say (it's been 14 months) whether or not his Cardano call was right or wrong.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 02:42 PM   #2269
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
But he represents crypto as a long term investment not trading the dips trying to get rich so with regards to Cardano he is represented just fine, it was a total turd.

He also plays Bitcoin as a long term investment to get rich which if you got in super early is fine but for people coming late its just super risky with near zero chance of getting rich from it. These days the only ones getting rich are the ones scamming.

This is the issue most people have, its not that Dino made a ton of money on bitcoin its that like so many others that are trying keep the wave going they misrepresent what people are getting into and maybe some genuinely want others to enjoy making money but those days have sailed. Even if someone bought 100k bitcoin would have to double to make 200k, thats a pretty big gamble with 100k on a very volatile market as opposed to the hay days of $200 bitcoin where your 100k would be worth 25million.
Or people with dogecoin from the start. Dogecoin to $100!

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 07:41 PM   #2270
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah ADA is awful; their EVM Milkomeda is a complete joke with nothing to do on it either and terrible on-ramping options.

Their TVL shrinks weekly and the only thing that keeps them afloat is astroturf teams on Twitter and Reddit pumping their tires trying to sell snakeoil to idiots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 12:10 AM   #2271
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Yeah that was totally out of context and I did sell most of my Cardano and made a fair amount of money. The the case for Cardano going up at that point in time was sound.

Things change, you need to adapt to the market like any other investment

thanks for a decent post when others are just gonna pile on...I would put my Crypto investments against any portfolio over the last few years

Last edited by dino7c; 05-11-2022 at 12:18 AM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 12:17 AM   #2272
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post

I told everyone to buy BTC when it was $1500 or less...other posters in here told people not to...I don't advise anyone to buy bitcoin right now and havent for years.

Personally I think the all time high has not been seen yet but its not the best investment.

Last edited by dino7c; 05-11-2022 at 12:21 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to dino7c For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2022, 08:56 AM   #2273
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jesus.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1524375188426702849
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 02:21 PM   #2274
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Jesus.
There's a dark meme in crypto circles where you know the bottom is near when they start posting the suicide help line number.
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 05:40 PM   #2275
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
I told everyone to buy BTC when it was $1500 or less...other posters in here told people not to...I don't advise anyone to buy bitcoin right now and havent for years.

Personally I think the all time high has not been seen yet but its not the best investment.
Well, you said, in early 2021, that Bitcoin would hit $100,000 by year end, and $1M within 10 years.

But, whatevs
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 11:08 PM   #2276
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

The Ponzi scheme house of cards is falling.

What a shame...
Wastedyouth is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wastedyouth For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2022, 01:51 AM   #2277
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Well, you said, in early 2021, that Bitcoin would hit $100,000 by year end, and $1M within 10 years.

But, whatevs
It hit 80k Canadian in 2021...again a decent call at the time
still have 9 years left on the other one

I haven't bought a Bitcoin since early 2017 and I have been pretty clear about that

Last edited by dino7c; 05-12-2022 at 01:55 AM.
Old 05-12-2022, 08:03 AM   #2278
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
It hit 80k Canadian in 2021...again a decent call at the time
still have 9 years left on the other one

I haven't bought a Bitcoin since early 2017 and I have been pretty clear about that
Presumably if you still see it going to a million in 9 years, you'd be shovelling every dollar you have into it, no? Or do you recognize risks that make that a poor choice?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 08:08 AM   #2279
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Welcome to the Winter for this cycle; came about 7 months later than I expected to be honest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2022, 08:11 AM   #2280
Krovikan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Presumably if you still see it going to a million in 9 years, you'd be shovelling every dollar you have into it, no? Or do you recognize risks that make that a poor choice?
Every dollar no, you should have a diversified investment strategy, but for me, yes starting investment in crypto right now. As I think crypto is a cyclical asset that booms every 3-5 years, then busts 1-2 years after booming.
Krovikan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bitcoin , cryptocurrency , ethereum