Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-31-2021, 04:59 PM   #1
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Windows 11

Bit surprised to see no thread yet.

I bought a new gaming laptop in the summer and noticed it offered me a free upgrade to 11 a week ago. I did it and find myself pleasantly surprised. I'm not sure I love the new start menu but it's not bad, so maybe it's just a lateral move at worst.

I do like the centering of the task bar, and the widgets have potential. I like the general 'feel' of it so far

I can't say I love the system requirements. I have a half way decent 5 year old PC that isn't eligible for the OS at all. It's an i7 from 2014 so not exactly garbage. Anyway, I do like it. Just a little surprised at the specs needed
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 05:02 PM   #2
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

Been playing around with it a bit on one of my Laptops... no real complaints so far... does feel like mix between macOS and Win10 with the modified GUI.
underGRADFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 05:14 PM   #3
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
I can't say I love the system requirements. I have a half way decent 5 year old PC that isn't eligible for the OS at all. It's an i7 from 2014 so not exactly garbage. Anyway, I do like it. Just a little surprised at the specs needed
I'm guessing a Haswell 4770k or 4790k?

If you're really eager, you can force it to install a few different ways. I have it running on a processor-unsupported Surface Go LTE (first gen) and it runs just fine. Even have the Windows Subsystem for Android running on it.

The PG has publicly stated that they saw a 52% increase in kernel mode bugcheck events with unsupported processors, while supported processors were 99.8% crash-free, so YMMV.

Last edited by TorqueDog; 11-09-2021 at 03:37 PM.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 05:31 PM   #4
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Did I read correctly that you can't move the task bar? I almost always move it onto the side since it takes up less space on a wide screen monitor, which I hate even more now that 16x10 monitors aren't a thing anymore.
Old 10-31-2021, 05:33 PM   #5
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

What if you ran out of room to show the weather? The horror.
Old 10-31-2021, 05:34 PM   #6
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Did I read correctly that you can't move the task bar? I almost always move it onto the side since it takes up less space on a wide screen monitor, which I hate even more now that 16x10 monitors aren't a thing anymore.
You can move it from the centre bottom to the left bottom but that's it.

I rolled back my PC because of the problems I was having. I'll stick to trying it out in a VM until they bring out proper fixes.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 06:02 PM   #7
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can easily left-align the taskbar icons -- that's supported, but actually moving the taskbar itself requires a reghack. Top or bottom works just fine, but moving the taskbar to the left or right of the screen definitely causes things to break.
Old 10-31-2021, 07:10 PM   #8
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
You can move it from the centre bottom to the left bottom but that's it.

I rolled back my PC because of the problems I was having. I'll stick to trying it out in a VM until they bring out proper fixes.
HOw hard was it to roll back?

Is that somethin that adds some lag and crappiness to your pc? Would it be better to fresh gformat back to 10?
Old 10-31-2021, 07:57 PM   #9
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Bit surprised to see no thread yet.

I bought a new gaming laptop in the summer and noticed it offered me a free upgrade to 11 a week ago. I did it and find myself pleasantly surprised. I'm not sure I love the new start menu but it's not bad, so maybe it's just a lateral move at worst.

I do like the centering of the task bar, and the widgets have potential. I like the general 'feel' of it so far

I'm not saying you are bad at math...but...
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 08:03 PM   #10
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Is that somethin that adds some lag and crappiness to your pc? Would it be better to fresh gformat back to 10?
Rolling back is super easy, and — these days — pretty reliable. But I believe you have only ten days to do so, so you need to make up your mind pretty quickly.
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2021, 08:53 PM   #11
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

I won't move to Windows 11 until they re-add (or someone hacks in) the ability to ungroup taskbar icons with full labels. After having taskbar labels in Windows for over 25 years, that's not a feature I'm willing to give up at this point
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 09:20 PM   #12
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Rolling back is super easy, and — these days — pretty reliable. But I believe you have only ten days to do so, so you need to make up your mind pretty quickly.
holy hell that was easy and fast. thanks td.
The Following User Says Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2021, 09:21 PM   #13
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:

It’s easy as pie to roll back as long as you do it within 10 days. You’ll lose any new apps or updates you installed but otherwise it’ll be like you never upgraded.
Old 10-31-2021, 09:30 PM   #14
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

seems silly but i didnt want my pc on 10 and laptop on 11.
Old 11-01-2021, 01:34 AM   #15
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can't upgrade yet since it's not available for me, but I'm eager to try it out
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 07:24 AM   #16
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

You can get it any time by downloading the installation assistant.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/soft...load/windows11
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2021, 02:16 PM   #17
LChoy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Are there any issues or concerns I should know about before enabling Secure Boot and TPM 2.0?
Apparently my PC needs those things before I can upgrade to 11. Windows provide instructions on how to enable these things, but wanted to check to make sure I don't mess anything up if I do

Thank you,

LChoy
Old 11-09-2021, 02:19 PM   #18
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have read Windows 11 is a RAM guzzler and it slows down older CPUs even more than Win10, is that the case? I have a 6th gen i5 that I don't mind putting Win11 on for a test drive...
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 02:28 PM   #19
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

The big question you should ask yourself before upgrading to Windows 11 is why? Under the hood it's virtually the same OS as Windows 10, it was actually supposed to be a big Windows 10 update before Microsoft decided to spin it out as 11. There are no benchmarks available that show any performance increases, and several that show a significant decrease to 10 under certain circumstances. So really the only thing 11 has going for it at this point is a different visual theme, is that enough of a reason?

Personally I'm waiting at least until Android app functionality is rolled out. That's the point where it offers something significantly new compared to 10, and hopefully by then the performance issues are figured out and Microsoft gets their heads out of their asses in regards to the taskbar oversimplification
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2021, 03:50 PM   #20
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LChoy View Post
Are there any issues or concerns I should know about before enabling Secure Boot and TPM 2.0?
Apparently my PC needs those things before I can upgrade to 11. Windows provide instructions on how to enable these things, but wanted to check to make sure I don't mess anything up if I do

Thank you,

LChoy
Secure Boot is typically enabled by default, onboard TPM 2.0 being enabled is a crapshoot. But if they aren't -- and provided you don't have BitLocker encryption already enabled on your hard drive -- you should be able to enable both of those things without any issue. You can check by looking at your system drive in Explorer and seeing if there is an unlocked padlock icon by your C: drive.
Spoiler!
If your drive already has BitLocker turned on, disable it or make sure you have your recovery key handy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Personally I'm waiting at least until Android app functionality is rolled out. That's the point where it offers something significantly new compared to 10, and hopefully by then the performance issues are figured out and Microsoft gets their heads out of their asses in regards to the taskbar oversimplification
It's here, go play: https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showpo...&postcount=788 I can confirm that installing it that way allows it to update as normal through the Microsoft Store app afterwards, my home machine did this morning.
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post: