Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2014, 10:49 AM   #1
Sample00
Sleazy Banker

Exp:
Default Condo - Tenant/Neighbour harassment

We have a townhouse condo as a rental property.

My tenant is a single guy that works every day. The neighbours next door continually harass him for a variety of different things.

From sitting on the step in front of the condo having a quiet beer, to telling him that his tv is too loud, to complaining about what time of the day he goes to work and starts his diesel truck. The list is never ending. Over the past year, the neighbours having taken to calling the police for every minor incident, to video taping my tenant every time he's outside to parking so close to him that he cant get into his truck.

Furthermore the neighbours are now harassing the maintenance worker and the president of the condo association. I should add that the neighours own the residence and are not tenants.

Sadly, my tenant has been a model tenant. never misses paying rent. never phones about any issues (he fixes things himself) and he's been my longest sitting tenant at just over two years. He has given notice because the constant harassment from the neighbours wont stop and he's just had enough.

Please understand that this was no easy decision for him as vacancy rates here in Edson are less than 0.5%. its virtually impossible to find a place to rent.

Do I have any recourse. thoughts, ideas, suggestions...
Sample00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:51 AM   #2
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flaming Bag of Poo.

ON a serious note, have you spoken to them and asked what their problem is?
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:52 AM   #3
skudr248
First Line Centre

Exp:

Wow that'd piss me right off ... Have you spoken with the neighbors? Why are they being such miserable old ####s
skudr248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:55 AM   #4
Sample00
Sleazy Banker

Exp:

i have tried on numerous occasions. I am of the belief that the male neighbour suffers from a condition similar to Aspergers. I am, of course, not certain, but there is some sort of mental/medical condition that is in play.
In my attempts to resolve the issue, I have had the police contact me and advise me that the neighour does not wish to speak to me any further. And I am to cease any further contact. The police advise me that they also feel there may be a "condition" in play here as well.
My dealings with the neighbour have always been professional and in public. I have never threatened or have caused him any harm, although, I must admit, the thought has crossed my mind.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:58 AM   #5
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sample00 View Post
i have tried on numerous occasions. I am of the belief that the male neighbour suffers from a condition similar to Aspergers. I am, of course, not certain, but there is some sort of mental/medical condition that is in play.
In my attempts to resolve the issue, I have had the police contact me and advise me that the neighour does not wish to speak to me any further. And I am to cease any further contact. The police advise me that they also feel there may be a "condition" in play here as well.
My dealings with the neighbour have always been professional and in public. I have never threatened or have caused him any harm, although, I must admit, the thought has crossed my mind.

Have you spoken to the Board or other neighbours in the complex?

I don't think you have any recourse, but it also doesn't sound like you will have any problems filling the place with that vacany rate.

I would hunt for a Jacked Up, Tap Out, Truck Balls renter next time.....
Old 06-23-2014, 10:58 AM   #6
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

The same thing is going to happen to the next tenant. You should probably just burn their condo down.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2014, 11:01 AM   #7
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
The same thing is going to happen to the next tenant. You should probably just burn their condo down.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2014, 11:02 AM   #8
Sample00
Sleazy Banker

Exp:

The Board is at a loss as to what to do. They say there are no legal options for them. The police advise that anyone can video tape anyone in a public setting. The front of the condo is a "public setting".
Other neighbours are also upset but nobody has any answers.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:03 AM   #9
Sample00
Sleazy Banker

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
if that happens, mine goes up in flames too...they are attached.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:04 AM   #10
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
if that happens, mine goes up in flames too...they are attached.
  • Step #4 ...........profit.........?
Old 06-23-2014, 11:06 AM   #11
Igster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quite frankly, I would probably sell the property. Doesn't seem like it's worth the hassle and sounds like you've exhausted all the options.
Igster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Igster For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2014, 11:06 AM   #12
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was about to suggest selling as well. Not worth the hassle.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:07 AM   #13
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Maybe I'm over simplifying the issue here, but can't you request that the police inform your neighbour that they may not contact you or your tenants either? If they can request that, than you should too.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2014, 11:07 AM   #14
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

The silent midnight assault of their home.

Sneak into their house, and tie them to their bed while wearing a pink bunny suit and warn them that if they don't move the Bunny will be back to mess them up but good.
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:08 AM   #15
Sample00
Sleazy Banker

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igster View Post
Quite frankly, I would probably sell the property. Doesn't seem like it's worth the hassle and sounds like you've exhausted all the options.
Edson is a small community and the realtors are all aware of the neighbour and the situation. Somebody outside of Edson would have to buy it. And i cant even get what I paid for it at this point.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:08 AM   #16
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
Maybe I'm over simplifying the issue here, but can't you request that the police inform your neighbour that they may not contact you or your tenants either? If they can request that, than you should too.
I don't know if the police can really do something en forcible though, not without a threat of violence.

Maybe contact a lawyer due to this costing you revenue?
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2014, 11:11 AM   #17
Sample00
Sleazy Banker

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
ahh, see, thats the thing. this guy is smart. He actually doesnt have contact with my tenant. He video tapes him, photographs him and only phones the police. In the past month, the police have attended my tenants place 3 times because of the neighbours complaints. Each and every time, they have to attend but they tell my tenant just that. They attend, ask if anythings up and then leave. In the past 2 years they have been there 20X. Never once has a ticket been written or a charge pressed.
My tenant is a good guy but they need to respond when someone files a complaint.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:15 AM   #18
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haven't the police told the guy to stop making frivolous complaints?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2014, 11:15 AM   #19
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Still sounds like harassment
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2014, 11:18 AM   #20
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
ahh, see, thats the thing. this guy is smart. He actually doesnt have contact with my tenant. He video tapes him, photographs him and only phones the police. In the past month, the police have attended my tenants place 3 times because of the neighbours complaints. Each and every time, they have to attend but they tell my tenant just that. They attend, ask if anythings up and then leave. In the past 2 years they have been there 20X. Never once has a ticket been written or a charge pressed.
My tenant is a good guy but they need to respond when someone files a complaint.
Ah okay, that makes sense (unfortunately). I wish Calgary bylaw was that committed to responding to these things. A few people in our complex have made an effort to stop all the illegal dumping happening with photos/video/license plates/etc. and condo management just shrugs while bylaw just points back to management. It's ridiculously frustrating and the people dumping just wave at these people recording them now.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote