Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Buy And Sell
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2019, 05:51 PM   #1
gasman
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default LF Stolen Bike

Stolen from Braeside Community Center today at 1pm

Kona Bownesian dark grey in color.
Has bar ends installed.

Stolen from a 10year old who is crushed that her handed down bike from her mom was stolen a week after she got it.

If you see it somewhere please PM me.

We have the dirtbag on camera stealing the bike.

This is an older pic, but the bike hasn't changed

https://ibb.co/RHcz5cR

Last edited by gasman; 09-26-2019 at 10:45 AM.
gasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 06:06 PM   #2
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Look for it on Kijiji. My son and his friends caught a bike thief this way.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 06:44 PM   #3
gasman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
We are keeping an eye out, How long did it take them to post the ad?
Old 09-25-2019, 06:49 PM   #4
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also if you’re on Facebook, post it on the Calgary and area stolen bikes page
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 03:36 AM   #5
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Keep an eye on Facebook marketplace too
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 08:25 AM   #6
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
We are keeping an eye out, How long did it take them to post the ad?
When my laptop got stolen it was next day....
aaronck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 08:41 AM   #7
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought you wanted to buy a stolen bike and thought that was oddly specific criteria.

"I want to buy a bike, but ONLY if its stolen!"

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2019, 10:48 AM   #8
gasman
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Picture of the Dirtbeg

This is the dirtbag!
Old 09-27-2019, 10:55 PM   #9
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Getting a bike stolen, especially one you love, is terrible or if you are a child and you love the bike. There is also a twitter group in yyc for stolen bikes. I believe all people that steal bikes get a special place in hell, because a bike can be like your favourite item.

Looks like he has a chain cutter in that bag. I happened to see a really nice solid steel scissor lock this week which looked pretty awesome and too slow thieves down.

People think i'm crazy but I take my seat with me as well.

Best of luck
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarywinning For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2019, 01:42 PM   #10
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’ve had a couple of bikes stolen. It sucks, and the feeling of violation is bad too.

Make sure you report it to the police. They can’t investigate unless there is a victim.

There are a couple of obvious bike theft rings operating in Calgary that post on Kijiji. They move stolen bikes between cities; Landshark for $200? Boone for $500?

As some of you know I’m a Kijiji addict. I’ve reported a few ads (family in CPS) and have been told I need to quote a victim to get them to look into it.

One guy has moved about 10 bikes this summer. All different sizes and high end. seems pretty suspicious to me.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Badgers Nose For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2019, 02:45 PM   #11
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm just envisioning a group of Bonavista hoodlums selling bikes with Banana seats and handlebar tassels out of their dad's garage.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 06:44 PM   #12
gasman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post
I’ve had a couple of bikes stolen. It sucks, and the feeling of violation is bad too.

Make sure you report it to the police. They can’t investigate unless there is a victim.

There are a couple of obvious bike theft rings operating in Calgary that post on Kijiji. They move stolen bikes between cities; Landshark for $200? Boone for $500?

As some of you know I’m a Kijiji addict. I’ve reported a few ads (family in CPS) and have been told I need to quote a victim to get them to look into it.

One guy has moved about 10 bikes this summer. All different sizes and high end. seems pretty suspicious to me.
I've reported it to police, and since we have this guy from about 4 different angles on different cameras, we have some good shots of his face, a cop actually responded and took statements and collected the videos.

I've been keeping an eye on Kijiji. If you see it on there, don't report the ad, let me know first.
Old 10-02-2019, 11:45 PM   #13
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Don't hold your breath on this one.
Old 10-03-2019, 06:33 AM   #14
gasman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarywinning View Post
Don't hold your breath on this one.
Thanks for your contribution. Very helpful.
Old 10-03-2019, 09:32 PM   #15
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Not sure if he intended to be snarky or factual so I won't defend his post, but his point is pretty true, unfortunately. There's a few dummies trying to sell stolen bikes on Kijiji, but the vast majority of stolen bikes aren't being found and returned.

Police definitely dabble in the Kijiji theft stuff because it's online and they can sting them quite easily, but outside the internet they barely have the resources to look into stolen vehicles, let alone bikes.

But I really hope yours is a case that gets solved because of the circumstances. It's tough enough for adults to accept theft of a valued/loved item, let alone kids.

Last edited by jayswin; 10-03-2019 at 09:35 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2019, 09:54 PM   #16
gasman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Not sure if he intended to be snarky or factual so I won't defend his post, but his point is pretty true, unfortunately. There's a few dummies trying to sell stolen bikes on Kijiji, but the vast majority of stolen bikes aren't being found and returned.

Police definitely dabble in the Kijiji theft stuff because it's online and they can sting them quite easily, but outside the internet they barely have the resources to look into stolen vehicles, let alone bikes.

But I really hope yours is a case that gets solved because of the circumstances. It's tough enough for adults to accept theft of a valued/loved item, let alone kids.
That's fair, I do t have any actual allusion to getting the bike back, but I joined the stolen bike Group on facebook and there have been several found this week on facebook, Kijiji, and letgo, so it does happen.

Keeping an eye on the sites is pretty low effort.

The other post definately came off as snarky
Old 10-04-2019, 11:37 AM   #17
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

It was not snarky. Police do not look at bike crime as something they are out to solve. Property theft is very low on the radar, which makes it an open season for brazen thieves to up their game.

They come out, take a police report, pretend to be happy when they have video. I think they enter the details into a database (at least I hope they do). Then they go onto the next call.

I think most bike recoveries come from if they happen upon a ring of bike thieves or are doing a drug call and find a mass of stolen property.

Not to say if it doesn't pop up on Kijiji that if you call them they won't investigate. I think the mentality is that they have more pressing concerns and that these matters are usually covered by insurance. When my bike was stolen my insurance threatened me that my premiums would sky rocket so I'd better not claim it, which in a way, is another form of theft.

So with all perceived snark removed, don't hold your breath.
Old 10-06-2019, 07:46 PM   #18
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarywinning View Post
It was not snarky. Police do not look at bike crime as something they are out to solve. Property theft is very low on the radar, which makes it an open season for brazen thieves to up their game.
So true, a buddy had his $3500.00 bike stolen off his car rack at Costco. he gave the cops a picture and serial# of the bike and they told him to check kijiji and the pawn shops, amazing what little the police do for the tax dollars they cost.

34 cents of every tax dollar goes to them and they don't even try to find expensive stolen property
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 08:31 PM   #19
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
So true, a buddy had his $3500.00 bike stolen off his car rack at Costco. he gave the cops a picture and serial# of the bike and they told him to check kijiji and the pawn shops, amazing what little the police do for the tax dollars they cost.

34 cents of every tax dollar goes to them and they don't even try to find expensive stolen property

Honestly, what do you think the police will do with a picture of a bike and the serial number? Do you want police looking for stolen property on Kijiji and local pawnshops? Then you’d be complaining about police resources being used to look for poorly secured personal property.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 09:33 PM   #20
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also search letgo as it seems bike thieves li,e selling there as well.

As a bike owner all you can do is record your serial number, and log the bike on bike index or garage 529.

If you have an expensive bike, buy insurance for it and never ever leave it where you can’t see it even if it is locked. Some stores I have taken my bike into because I did not have a lock

There are a couple of very active sellers in Calgary - Fonda and John Anton heck are two that come to my mind. It is disgusting as if you look at what they are selling it is crystal clear they are thieves as it is bikes, hand tools, sunglasses, iPods, clothing etc.

Last edited by Northendzone; 10-06-2019 at 09:35 PM.
Northendzone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Northendzone For This Useful Post: