Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

View Poll Results: What role do humans play in contributing to climate change?
Humans are the primary contributor to climate change 392 62.92%
Humans contribute to climate change, but not the main cause 163 26.16%
Not sure 37 5.94%
Climate change is a hoax 31 4.98%
Voters: 623. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-16-2019, 09:48 AM   #1621
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
We're not going to change her mind. She's got a set agenda, its not going to be anything but her lecturing and making angry faces.
haha, she is indeed good at that.

What I'd like to know is, where is she getting her funding from? How does a 16 yr old travel the globe the way she is? It would be interesting to see where the money is coming from.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 09:49 AM   #1622
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
The best thing to do is respect her, listen to her, and not give her base a reason to think we're disrespecting or attacking her.

Let her come in, do her thing, lecture if she wants, rail if she wants, and thank her and wish her well on her trip home and be done with it.
That's the best I think this province can hope for. Just keep quiet, say hi, and move on with business.

Any fury, fire, or antagonism by anyone in the government, MSM, or hardcore pro-O/G supporters are going to damage perception of our province as angry and backwards.

Everyone just needs to be quiet, and if asked, extol the virtues of our industry in a positive light. No need - or reason - to get into a pissing match.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2019, 10:36 AM   #1623
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
That's where something like car sharing instead of ownership might be better. You want to drive from Calgary to Vancouver, you swap your EV halfway there with another so you don't have to wait. Or, you end up with some of those rest stops like they have all over Ontario, where you can drop off your car, have lunch, and then get going again. I just haven't seen many plans yet for how the charging infrastructure is going to scale up when EVs become more prolific on the road. Right now it would be suffereable, but I don't know if you're 3rd in line to charge your car, how that's going to look.
Swapping cars would kind of suck if you're fully loaded. Perhaps battery swapping could be the answer? Having secondary, easily swappable batter[ies] could really speed up the process and keep the vehicle aligned with bladder capacities (would still get a few minutes of main charge). Being able to carry a 'spare' battery would also help facilitate leaving an EV at a trailhead for a day of ski touring, etc.

I don't know anything about wireless charging, but could the answer lie in 'activating' major roadways?
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 10:38 AM   #1624
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

So we have to bow down to a climate zealot so we don't anger the twitter mob?
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2019, 10:47 AM   #1625
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Sorry, but on a global optics level with regards to her visit, Alberta may be in an uphill battle (unfortunately). The smartest and most rational way to deal with this is to welcome her, respect her positions on climate change, and professionally inform her of the facts as to how critical O+G is, and the steps that are being made in regards to clean practices and innovation within the industry.

There's absolutely ZERO need to be a dick about and during her visit, on any platform. If we are, we're just going to perpetuate the negative stereotype many outside Alberta and Canada have about us. Don Braid agrees.

Braid: How should Alberta greet Greta?

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/pol...d-dc1d9512ac6e
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2019, 10:50 AM   #1626
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

A zealot? That’s nice. Classy
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 10:53 AM   #1627
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't think heckling or being hostile serves any purpose. I have to imagine Greta has her heart in the right place and is being manipulated and used as a front pushing the agenda of a group of capitalists set to make large profits off global warming fear mongering which is why I have chosen to ignore her rather than lash out which only serves to fuel the fire. I would hope we choose to take the high road here, let her come and go, then move on as this stunt will eventually run its course.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 10:54 AM   #1628
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Yeah, but how can we show how tough we are if we don't even talk about the carbon footprint of the boat she used or be like "What about Saudi Arabia??"

I have low confidence that the UCP can be tactful about this, but I guess you never know. We're already going to come off as evil, so if we can be respectful and hardline the positive value of what we're doing, at least we might convince someone somewhere. Coming off as aggro whiners is just a self-inflicted wound which we really don't need.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 10:58 AM   #1629
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
We're not going to change her mind. She's got a set agenda, its not going to be anything but her lecturing and making angry faces.

Its a pointless waste of time, and giving her propaganda points.

You don't need to change her mind, the rigidity of her opinion is irrelevant. But there needs to be a reasonable counter narrative against the messaging she is putting out into the world. I agree with everyone saying not to be rude to this little girl, but I also think the Alberta energy sector needs to get way better at its own PR.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Igottago For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2019, 11:03 AM   #1630
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
i will be interested when they start charging drives a fee when they use a charging station, because the charge is really a stop at the gas station.

eventually the price of electricity will need to rise to accommodate the required level of taxation
Some places already do, and others (Petro Canada) will be starting soon from what I can find. Although Vancouver's also has to do with trying to prevent people from using the stations as a free parking area.

https://www.petro-canada.ca/en/perso...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://pluginbc.ca/vancouver-approves-ev-charging/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Ya, a 20 minute stop to charge every 500km isn't that big a deal, it will just be interesting to see how it is managed in the future when everyone needs to do it. You picture a long weekend at gas stations with the number of vehicles in and out in 5 minutes, and try to imagine how that works with everyone in EV's, and I can imagine a lot of frustration. But maybe charging speeds and battery capacity will improve at a rate that matches adoption, and it won't be a big deal.
I think one difference can be how charging stations are layed out. Consider a traditional gas station - it is limited because you need pumps and islands for the pumps. An electric charging stations could have a layout more like a parking lot with stalls and you could theoretically fit more vehicles in the same space as you could at a old school gas station. It might not be as bad as it first seems if we put some thought into how the stations are designed.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 11:19 AM   #1631
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
You don't need to change her mind, the rigidity of her opinion is irrelevant. But there needs to be a reasonable counter narrative against the messaging she is putting out into the world. I agree with everyone saying not to be rude to this little girl, but I also think the Alberta energy sector needs to get way better at its own PR.
Have Greta and the CEO's of Suncor, Cenovus, Imperical, TC, Enbridge and CNRL hold a press conference together announcing that climate change is real and there is much work to be done, and we need to rise above partisan lines and anger to collaborate towards a greener future that also doesn't compromise the livelihoods of ordinary people.

Won't happen but would love to see it. Bonus points for doing this without Kenney, Savage, Wolf, or any other UCP pawn involved.
Old 10-16-2019, 11:38 AM   #1632
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtmac19 View Post
A zealot? That’s nice. Classy
Not to be nitpicky as overall I agree, let her come in and do her thing, be polite and let her go on her way.

Is she not a zealot? She is fanatical and uncompromising and cannot be reasoned with, basically the definition of a zealot.

Her ethos, in its entirety is: 'Oil = Bad'

There is no room for discussion or compromise, so theres no point in trying.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2019, 11:40 AM   #1633
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

CNRL and Suncor CEOs regularly acknowledge that climate change is real, and that much more needs to be done (while highlighting how much has been done over recent years). Over the past year climate discussion has had a larger role in each of the quarterly earning calls.
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 11:41 AM   #1634
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Have Greta and the CEO's of Suncor, Cenovus, Imperical, TC, Enbridge and CNRL hold a press conference together announcing that climate change is real and there is much work to be done
I don't think anyone disputes that climate change is real. The climate has been changing on Earth for 4.5 billion years.

The argument, from what I can tell, is over the impact of a .01% increase in atmospheric CO2. There is skepticism and disagreement that this additional .01% of atmospheric CO2 is having undesirable effects on our environment, if any at all.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 11:46 AM   #1635
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Looks like she's already here:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1184520180870930434
Old 10-16-2019, 11:50 AM   #1636
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Has the planet in it’s last 4 billion years always had a climate capable of supporting human life? Never changes?

Environmentalism is not pragmatic.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 12:10 PM   #1637
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

It sounds like she's here to march in rallies.

I doubt her side is really all that willing to have meaningful conversations with the Premiere and Mayors, this is just so they can get sound clips of her.

Oh and holding a press conference with the CEO's of larger producers? Most of them have already acknowledged climate change, so unless she's willing to acknowledge that and the technology changes in the Oil Sands production what's the point of that press conference.

I just don't see a point of leaders being used in propaganda pieces, she's not coming here for any kind of meaningful dialogue, her side wants her in the belly of the evil beast taking swings on video.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 12:15 PM   #1638
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I don't think heckling or being hostile serves any purpose. I have to imagine Greta has her heart in the right place and is being manipulated and used as a front pushing the agenda of a group of capitalists set to make large profits off global warming fear mongering which is why I have chosen to ignore her rather than lash out which only serves to fuel the fire. I would hope we choose to take the high road here, let her come and go, then move on as this stunt will eventually run its course.
Did I say heckle and belittle her? I'd love if we could have an adult dialog but I don't see that happening.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 12:25 PM   #1639
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
Has the planet in it’s last 4 billion years always had a climate capable of supporting human life? Never changes?

Environmentalism is not pragmatic.
... you know that isn’t being questioned. It’s whether or not we are impacting that change, to the detriment of the only climate we have survived in.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 12:26 PM   #1640
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
The day the pleasure use automobile becomes banned, we’re all ####ed. It’ll happen I’m sure, because it’s an easy target. Everyone will keep on buying garbage they don’t need from halfway around the world, and eating miraculously constantly in-season produce, while the hobby auto enthusiast is vilified.
I agree with the sentiment, especially the garbage they don't need part. I just wanted to point out that often the least carbon intensive food comes from far away.

Things farmed by hand in climates where they naturally thrive save more in emissions during the growing/harvesting phase than they add during shipping. Sea freight is by far the most efficient method of transportation we have. Most of the emissions for food at your local store are incurred after it hits the port from somewhere way across the globe, as well as on your way home with it.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post: