Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

View Poll Results: What role do humans play in contributing to climate change?
Humans are the primary contributor to climate change 392 62.92%
Humans contribute to climate change, but not the main cause 163 26.16%
Not sure 37 5.94%
Climate change is a hoax 31 4.98%
Voters: 623. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-23-2019, 10:04 AM   #421
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Do you really think China would stop buying from Saudi Arabia anyways because another dealer has less ####ty of a record?

I doubt Xi Jinping and the Communist Party is going to have a moral renaissance moment. Pretty sure it comes down to price of the product and not the ethics behind it.
This is exactly the argument I'm making. Reducing Canadian exports really doesn't apply any pressure on other oil producing countries - to the contrary, it just means more business for them at our expense

The point about their record is that I'd much rather have that income from the purchases china is going to make regardless go into the canadian economy, rather than funding ISIS and a new gold plated lambo for some arabian prince
stone hands is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stone hands For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2019, 12:18 PM   #422
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2019/...human-history/

I was looking at other things and found this article. Seems worthy of knowing.

World reaches 415ppm of C02 for first time in 800,000 years.
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 11:41 AM   #423
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

https://globalnews.ca/news/5350048/c...=%40globalnews

We'll we're boned.

Quote:
An Australian policy paper warning that society could collapse amid climate change-related strife by 2050 is “plausible” if countries fail to take action, a leading Canadian climate scientist says.

https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/148cb...65336ff23b.pdf

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 11:45 AM   #424
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess he didn't get enoguh reaction from his first book a decade ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_Code_Red

Gotta be tough to go through life with that much anxiety.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 01:22 PM   #425
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

I missed this Neil McDonald piece from a couple of weeks ago.

Paying some piddling carbon tax will do nothing to defend us from what lies ahead: Neil Macdonald

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5143916?fbc...9r1KuhFNfZncEA

The (carbon) tax also provides an excellent diversion to keep the public's attention away from something our politicians are not saying a word about: the monumental cost of preventing, or paying for, the damage climate change will deliver from now on.

No one knows how much money flood-proofing Canada will cost, but it's safe to assume hundreds of billions of dollars. And experts like Feltmate have already calculated that NOT doing the floodproofing work increases the eventual cost by 400 to a thousand per cent.

And in any case, let's not forget where we live. This is Canada, for heaven's sake. The cost of flood-proofing this country will be largely paid for with tax revenue. It's inevitable.
It is a clear and present danger at this point, and what are we discussing? A meaningless bit of window-dressing sin tax
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 03:00 PM   #426
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

"food supplies will run low"

Bull####. To every "scientist" and "environmentalist" that trots this out, time after time, I say bull####.

Climate change is not having a negative impact on yields, and if the plants had it their way, atmospheric CO2 would be quadrupled.

Edit: my comments are not aimed at you, CC

Last edited by The Fonz; 06-04-2019 at 03:18 PM.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Fonz For This Useful Post:
4X4
Old 06-04-2019, 03:24 PM   #427
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Oh well, haven't you heard? The human race will be extinct by 2050, so who cares how much food there is left over?
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 03:33 PM   #428
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

The other line that gets used, "the poor will suffer the worst from climate change".

Really?

Hmmmmmmmmm
*Roger Millions voice*
Old 06-04-2019, 03:34 PM   #429
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Only the markets, innovation and technology will save us. just like every other time
MelBridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 03:39 PM   #430
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
The other line that gets used, "the poor will suffer the worst from climate change".

Really?

Hmmmmmmmmm
*Roger Millions voice*
Nourishment and climate change - and who is affected by each - are two different arguments. I am not sure you can draw an exclusive parallel between these two.

Climate change has nothing to do with the health and availability of crops and foods for human consumption. It has to do with the changing climate patterns and its impact on the environment, farmland or otherwise.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 03:39 PM   #431
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

I don't know if you get QR77 out there (Fonz), but you can download podcasts from Danielle Smith's shows. She's extremely interested in the SOLUTIONS to climate change and has very interesting guests on all the time. Today she interviewed the head of (can't remember the department name) from U of C, and they're working on nano carbon fibre. It is stronger than steel, though not necessarily a replacement in all areas, and it uses CO2 and methane emissions to make it. Basically, the hope is that the waste from certain industries would become the raw materials for new kinds of manufacturing.

She has super interesting segments like this all the time, and it paints a much different picture than DOOM!!! Humans are pretty creative, and I would not be surprised if advancements along these lines end up being the key to balancing the emissions problem that nobody is denying we have. It's just that the solutions is not to just go back to mud huts and turn off the lights. The solutions will be in the form of technology.
The Following User Says Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2019, 03:41 PM   #432
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Really?

Hmmmmmmmmm
*Roger Millions voice*
That chart doesn't really disprove the argument that the poor will suffer the most. Nourishment is really only one indicator and doesn't capture other factors that disproportionately affect impoverished people such as wars, displacement, etc., that can be caused by outcomes related to climate change.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2019, 03:55 PM   #433
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
I don't know if you get QR77 out there (Fonz), but you can download podcasts from Danielle Smith's shows. She's extremely interested in the SOLUTIONS to climate change and has very interesting guests on all the time. Today she interviewed the head of (can't remember the department name) from U of C, and they're working on nano carbon fibre. It is stronger than steel, though not necessarily a replacement in all areas, and it uses CO2 and methane emissions to make it. Basically, the hope is that the waste from certain industries would become the raw materials for new kinds of manufacturing.

She has super interesting segments like this all the time, and it paints a much different picture than DOOM!!! Humans are pretty creative, and I would not be surprised if advancements along these lines end up being the key to balancing the emissions problem that nobody is denying we have. It's just that the solutions is not to just go back to mud huts and turn off the lights. The solutions will be in the form of technology.
Ya, a few of her guests are full of #### though, and she just agrees with them. I think I posted about one of them a week ago. Highly misleading. She's almost to agreeable to be a good interviewer.
Old 06-04-2019, 03:57 PM   #434
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Ya, a few of her guests are full of #### though, and she just agrees with them. I think I posted about one of them a week ago. Highly misleading. She's almost to agreeable to be a good interviewer.
This is why I can't stand Joe Rogan either.
Old 06-04-2019, 04:00 PM   #435
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Climate change has nothing to do with the health and availability of crops-

It has to do with the changing climate patterns and its impact on the...farmland-
Don't these two sentences directly conflict with each other?

Regardless, the argument put forth by many alarmists and doomsday authors is that climate change will wreak havoc on crops, and dwindle global food supplies to the point of mass starvation (with the poor suffering the worst). I'm calling complete bull#### on that, as evidenced by the last 50 years of global food production.
Old 06-04-2019, 04:01 PM   #436
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Which guest are you talking about?
Old 06-04-2019, 04:10 PM   #437
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Regardless, the argument put forth by many alarmists and doomsday authors is that climate change will wreak havoc on crops, and dwindle global food supplies to the point of mass starvation (with the poor suffering the worst). I'm calling complete bull#### on that, as evidenced by the last 50 years of global food production.
Does that take into account the differences in foods produced by large agricultural operations vs. communal farms? I think from what I've previously read, some of the concern is that the changing climate will make it difficult for poorer farmers in developing nations to sustain their crops due to their inability to purchase/maintain the equipment, pesticides, etc., that MNCs can. The arguments also seem to rest on the assumption that these people would not have the necessary means to purchase the equivalent amount of food to sustain themselves if they can't grow their own crops.

Granted, you could definitely argue that that's more of a failure of unchecked global capitalism, but we don't seem to be particularly interested in altering our antiquated principles in that area either.
Old 06-04-2019, 04:34 PM   #438
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
No. You should read/quote the sentence in its entirety instead of selectively picking what I said. I am say climate change affects environment, whether it's farmland or anything else.

Climate change has nothing to do with the health and availability of crops and foods for human consumption. It has to do with the changing climate patterns and its impact on the environment, farmland or otherwise.

Perhaps I should have used a semi colon instead of a common if it helps.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 04:36 PM   #439
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Does that take into account the differences in foods produced by large agricultural operations vs. communal farms? I think from what I've previously read, some of the concern is that the changing climate will make it difficult for poorer farmers in developing nations to sustain their crops due to their inability to purchase/maintain the equipment, pesticides, etc., that MNCs can.
Do you have a link to or remember where you read this? I'd be curious to see their reasoning for why climate change would disproportionately affect poorer farmers.

When I think of poor and/or communal (ie small acre) farms, India comes to mind. The farms in India are extremely small (2.5ac on average, as opposed to 800ac on average in Canada), and they are extremely poor. This is not due to poor growing conditions or under-production though, but rather over-production resulting in over-supply (India has more than quadrupled their crop production since 1950). They are setting production records every other year, so climate change certainly hasn't had a negative impact on their yields either.

Last edited by The Fonz; 06-04-2019 at 04:38 PM.
Old 06-04-2019, 04:44 PM   #440
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
Which guest are you talking about?
Oh jeez, I can't remember. He was talking about CO2 levels and my bull#### meter was going off so I fact checked. He was wrong.