Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-17-2012, 08:59 PM   #1
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:
Default The Ongoing Dog Attack Mega-Thread

Since there are so many dog attacks lately, I figured it's about time to consolidate these events into one thread instead of starting a new thread every time. This thread is similar to the one where we talked about the Grade 4 girl being attacked by a dog in May 2012 and the City's consideration of raising the fines for owners of attacking dogs (127 reported attacks in Calgary in 2011), but instead of talking about those two specific topics, this will be a place where we can talk about all of the dog attacks around us.

Soooooo, WTF is with all the dog attacks? Like dogs or hate them, they seem to be out for blood as of late.

Police Kill Pit Bull that Attacked Pregnant Woman in her 20s
I just came across this one even though it's a couple of weeks old.
Quote:
The woman, who is eight months' pregnant, sustained bite marks on her arms and upper body in the attack at a home in Fort Saskatchewan on Monday afternoon. She has since been released from hospital but continues to receive medical care. Police say her baby is fine.
Pit Bull and Five Other Dogs Attack Alberta Man
Here's one from this week. A vicious unprovoked attack on a guy just walking along.
Quote:
"As he was approaching a residence, there was a dog that they alleged was in the driveway that attacked him, basically launched at this face (and) bit him on the face," Const. Sam Montasser said Friday.

"It's unclear at this point exactly how many dogs joined in the attack, but we do believe it could be as many as six."

Pit Bull Attacks Cocker Spaniel in Calgary
Here's one from three days ago.

Quote:
Jann Vincent-Stevenson was walking her springer spaniel, Chopper, on Thursday in a back alley in the 1100 block of Mayland Drive N.E. when a pit bull in an unfenced yard snapped its leash and attacked Chopper.

And apparently the Herald also got tired of penning a new article every time there's an attack, because they also report on an attack on a young boy in Chestermere in the same article.
Quote:
Meanwhile in Chestermere, an 11-year-old boy was bitten above the eye by the family dog and was treated with several stitches.

The seven-and-a-half-year-old mixed breed dog was taken to a veterinary clinic and euthanized.

Reward Offered for Owner of a Dog who Attacked and Maimed a 6-Year-Old Boy in Calgary
Here's one from a couple of weeks ago. A $500 reward is being offered to anybody that can help find the owner of the dog that basically walked away with her dog after it left a little boy with 20 stitches in his arm a kilometer away from help in the middle of Fish Creek Park.

Quote:
Instantly, the dog broke away from its owner, and clenched Tristan's right arm.
I think as a society we've become a little too lackadaisical about the dangers of dogs lately and the rash of attacks recently will hopefully serve as a wake-up call to all the owners out there that have forgotten just how dangerous and unpredictable dogs can be.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:44 PM   #2
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's 100 % the owners fault.
Trashy, incompetent owners = unbalanced dogs.

The fines need a few more zeros added to them.
Plus banned from owning any canine that weighs more than 20 pounds.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:57 PM   #3
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

I place all the blame on the owners for the way they raise thier dogs. A dog is not a threat to the public if it is trained properly. We have far too many owners who have no clue about dog ownership.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:50 PM   #4
KeepCalmCarryOn
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Dogs are great. Love living around so many in my hood. There is a couple who are scared of them and don't let their kids near them. It's weirdos like that who end up bit. I feel bad for that couples kids. They are missing out on mans best friend and their parents both have lady bits if they are scared of dogs.
KeepCalmCarryOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 10:55 PM   #5
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepCalmCarryOn View Post
They are missing out on mans best friend and their parents both have lady bits if they are scared of dogs.
Huh?

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Regulator75 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2012, 11:17 PM   #6
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

I think a big part of the problem is this.

I have a 11 pound wiener dog, that is a bit territorial and can get aggressive with strangers. I have raised her well, it is just in her nature to protect her surroundings. If she ever decided to attack someone, the only thing at risk would be just below knee level, and to be honest, it would take one swift blow to kill her, or break her hold.

The problem is, when a dog like a pit bull decides it doesn't like someone, or just has an alpha moment, it takes a firearm to stop them. Even the best trained dog in the world, can have a moment. Pit bulls have such incredible jaw strength, breaking their hold is near impossible. I don't think it is as much the temperament of the dog, as it is the sheer strength and damage they inflict when they do attack. They cause so much damage it is always news.

My wiener dog = bb gun
Pit bull = Desert Eagle .50

You can shoot them both at someone and equal amount of times, but only one is pretty much guaranteed to maim or kill when fired.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 11:22 PM   #7
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
I place all the blame on the owners for the way they raise thier dogs. A dog is not a threat to the public if it is trained properly. We have far too many owners who have no clue about dog ownership.
Can't the same be said of guns? Not that I'm suggesting "dog control" but as a society we don't allow persons to own dangerous weapons. Maybe if you want to own a certain breed of dog or a dog over a certain weight you need to take a course and get a license?
Old 06-17-2012, 11:24 PM   #8
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

the crappy owners should be euthanized instead of the dogs
Old 06-17-2012, 11:30 PM   #9
saskflames69
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Dogs are great. Love living around so many in my hood. There is a couple who are scared of them and don't let their kids near them. It's weirdos like that who end up bit. I feel bad for that couples kids. They are missing out on mans best friend and their parents both have lady bits if they are scared of dogs.
Really? My family knows this wonderful lesbian couple and they absolutely love our dog.
Connor Zary will win the Hart Trophy in 2027.
saskflames69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 11:30 PM   #10
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
Can't the same be said of guns? Not that I'm suggesting "dog control" but as a society we don't allow persons to own dangerous weapons. Maybe if you want to own a certain breed of dog or a dog over a certain weight you need to take a course and get a license?
I would be in favour of something like that. Pit Bulls with the wrong owners is asking for trouble. Dog ownership is a huge responsibility and i don't think enough owners realise this.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:41 PM   #11
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I have a no petting other peoples dogs policy with my kids. I think it is sound judgement. I have no knowledge of the temperment of those dogs and I think owners have a to positive view of the behavior of their dogs around strangers. The first thing you here in every bite case is that their dog is so friendly and it was totaly out of character. I dont teach my kids to fear dogs and they can be around dogs they know but not strangers dogs.

Also to blame people who are afraid of dogs for getting bit is ridiculous. It is the owners fault.

My position has always been is that owners shoukd be criminaly liable for their dogs behaviour.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2012, 12:53 AM   #12
VO #23
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
I would be in favour of something like that. Pit Bulls with the wrong owners is asking for trouble. Dog ownership is a huge responsibility and i don't think enough owners realise this.
How do you enforce it though? I'm sure your classic dirtbag pitbull owner won't be dissuaded by licencing/registration requirements.
VO #23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:21 AM   #13
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames_Gimp View Post
the crappy owners should be euthanized instead of the dogs
If I'm getting this right, (which I may not be, so correct me if I'm wrong) if a dog attacks a human, the owners of that dog should be killed.

Then who looks after the dog?

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:35 AM   #14
Zevo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Awesome, yet another 'look how evil dogs are' thread started by Sliver. I look forward to the usual over-reactions.

Dogs do 1000 times more good in people lives than they do harm. They help the lonely cope, as well as the elderly. People with disabilities can lead a more normal life. Kids have a best freind.

The joy and love they give to so many people far outweigh the 'dangers' of dog ownership.
Zevo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Zevo For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2012, 06:21 AM   #15
VO #23
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevo View Post
Awesome, yet another 'look how evil dogs are' thread started by Sliver. I look forward to the usual over-reactions.

Dogs do 1000 times more good in people lives than they do harm. They help the lonely cope, as well as the elderly. People with disabilities can lead a more normal life. Kids have a best freind.

The joy and love they give to so many people far outweigh the 'dangers' of dog ownership.
I don't think anyone is talking about banning dogs as pets, writ large. But there is certainly some merit to the discussion regarding banning certain breeds of dogs, IMO. It's much easier to place an outright ban on dangerous, destructive, and unpredictable dogs like pit bulls than it is to implement some sort of ridiculous 'licencing system' that will almost certainly be flouted with impunity by the very people we don't want owning these types of dogs.
VO #23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VO #23 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2012, 06:27 AM   #16
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Clearly the dogs are all on the bath salts and gradually turning into face eating zombies like the rest of society.
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:00 AM   #17
longsuffering
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
I think a big part of the problem is this.

I have a 11 pound wiener dog, that is a bit territorial and can get aggressive with strangers. I have raised her well, it is just in her nature to protect her surroundings. If she ever decided to attack someone, the only thing at risk would be be just below knee level, and to be honest, it would take one swift blow to kill her, or break her hold.
IMO attitudes like this are part of the problem.

If your dog is territorial and aggressive, it has NOT been raised well. Your dog should NOT consider any territory it's territory. (Your home, yard, etc.is YOUR territory). It should NEVER show aggression if you are an effective pack leader.

Your attitude is common amongst owners of small dogs, who seem to be the worst behaved at dog parks, in large part their owners think "they're too small to hurt anyone", meanwhile they act aggressively towards larger dogs, end up in trouble after which their owners scream bloody murder.
longsuffering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to longsuffering For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2012, 07:58 AM   #18
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am more worried about little dogs around my little guy than I am big dogs. Little dogs tend to jump around much more. Plus, I can't stand the yappy little rats.

Regardless of training and the behavior of the dog, I will never leave the kid unsupervised around them. Doing so is asking for trouble. All it takes is an tail pull or an accidental stepping on a foot for a dog to give one little bite that can cause pretty significant damage to a kid.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:22 AM   #19
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

just out of curiousity - how many dog fights are there at the off-leash dog parks?

as for the rest, i'd be fine with the city jacking up the fines - i'd actually like to figure out a way to get all teh dogs in my nieghborhood to quit barking - it is the most annoying sound - although it pales when compared to hearing the dogs owner yell shut up repeatedly.....
Old 06-18-2012, 08:25 AM   #20
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
just out of curiousity - how many dog fights are there at the off-leash dog parks?
I can go weeks without seeing one and then see a two in a day... usually it's more of two dominant males butting heads that sounds worse than it actually is.

Why?
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dog attack puppy barking