Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2020, 09:25 PM   #21
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
What this does suggest is wpg and Nashville as natural trading partners...

Turris - not working out
Craig Smith - ufa
Laine - not working out
The same Laine with 44 points in 47 games this season?
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to keenan87 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2020, 09:36 PM   #22
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
Not a PPG player, what a shame.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 09:49 PM   #23
iloveicedhockey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

How many ambidextrous shots do the top scoring teams have? Just putting a model together.
iloveicedhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to iloveicedhockey For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2020, 11:21 PM   #24
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Left-handed shooters are literally why God created backhands.

Edit: Pimps created them for something else, but that’s a story for another time.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2020, 11:26 PM   #25
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
Goal scorers like to score. And it's Winnipeg. He probs wants out.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 02:05 AM   #26
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Or we could do what the top teams do, play them on the off wing on the PP to create one timers, it's mind boggling how bad our PP is.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 04:00 AM   #27
renny
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
There are really good reasons for having right-handed shots especially on the PP. The lanes open up differently when you have someone that's a righty.

renny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 07:49 AM   #28
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Being a good hockey player > Being on a hockey team simply cause you are RHS
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2020, 08:09 AM   #29
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Has anyone run the numbers on RHS players with GRIT?
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 08:19 AM   #30
smiggy77
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Old 01-20-2020, 09:05 AM   #31
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

The OP seems like a suggestion that Treliving has ignored RHS when making moves or drafting. I don't think that bears historical examination. To some degree it's an accident of circumstance.

2014: Bennett was drafted ahead of Nylander and Virtanen - the next highest RHS. But who wouldn't have done that. After that come Tuch, Kapanen, Pasternak, etc. So there were good RHS players, but we were pretty pleased with Bennett, and even if he's picked before, they go Draisaitl (LHS). Only if Reinhart drops two spots do they get a RHS, and it's all by happenstance. The rest of that draft sucked but then again that's not even on Treliving is it? I mean, he'd been on the job for a little over two months.

Calgary's first pick in 2015 was Rasmus (RHS). Their first rounder went to Boston for Hamilton, a RHS. He traded a LHS (Sven) to get the pick for Rasmus.

Calgary picks Tkachuk in 2016. No one complains about that, as opposed to maybe taking Kunin. They also picked Dube and I'm perfectly good with taking him over a RHS around that area of the draft. Third pick was Fox (RHS).

2017: Valimaki - any complaints about taking him ahead of RHS Liljedrin, Rob Thomas (he's pretty good though), Yamamoto (hah)? No second rounder (Lazar) but on the other hand, no player from that pick on has played a season on the NHL.

2018: No first rounder because Treliving traded it for Hamonic who is (you guessed it) a RHS D.

2019: Pelletier (LHS) but FWIW no player after him in the first round is a RHS.

Well, what about trades - He acquired Hamilton (RHS). He traded Hamilton (RHS) and Ferland (LHS) for Lindholm (RHS) and Hanifin (LHS). Traded Seiloff for Chiasson (RHS). Traded picks for Stone (RHS), Shore (RHS),

UFAs? Signed Brouwer (RHS). Signed Czarnik (RHS). Signed Foo (RHS). Signed Ryan (RHS). Signed LHS Frolik and Neal too, but it strikes me that Czarnik, Foo and especially Brower (and Neal) were sought for offence from the right side, as opposed to Frolik who was sought as a useful player (Ryan too, but he's RHS). He also signed Gawdin (RHS) FWIW.

You can blame Treliving for the fact that several RHS he acquired didn't pan out, like Brouwer, Foo, etc. But I think it's unfair to suggest he has ignored it.

Unfortunately, again a lot comes down to Bennett not panning out. Not only did it hurt the C depth, but that seems to be the draft where lots of RHS help could have been available. That pick seems inevitable though, and TBF it was Treliving's third month on the job.

Last edited by GioforPM; 01-20-2020 at 09:48 AM. Reason: edited to correct Ryan's handedness
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 09:32 AM   #32
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

I remember before the 2014 draft lottery, a lot of write-ups had the Flames taking the right shooting Sam Reinhart or right shooting William Nylander and most were quite content with that.

Last edited by David Struch; 01-20-2020 at 09:35 AM.
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 09:33 AM   #33
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

^Ryan's a RHS.

It's all Feaster's fault for trading down on Jankowski. Turns out Tom Wilson was the final solution to every problem, ever.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2020, 09:40 AM   #34
delayedreflex
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

So according to that list, seems like Calgary should be trading with Nashville who is overloaded with RH shots.
delayedreflex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to delayedreflex For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2020, 09:46 AM   #35
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
^Ryan's a RHS.

It's all Feaster's fault for trading down on Jankowski. Turns out Tom Wilson was the final solution to every problem, ever.
Thanks, I fixed it.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 10:04 AM   #36
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
The OP seems like a suggestion that Treliving has ignored RHS when making moves or drafting. I don't think that bears historical examination. To some degree it's an accident of circumstance.

2014: Bennett was drafted ahead of Nylander and Virtanen - the next highest RHS. But who wouldn't have done that. After that come Tuch, Kapanen, Pasternak, etc. So there were good RHS players, but we were pretty pleased with Bennett, and even if he's picked before, they go Draisaitl (LHS). Only if Reinhart drops two spots do they get a RHS, and it's all by happenstance. The rest of that draft sucked but then again that's not even on Treliving is it? I mean, he'd been on the job for a little over two months.

Calgary's first pick in 2015 was Rasmus (RHS). Their first rounder went to Boston for Hamilton, a RHS. He traded a LHS (Sven) to get the pick for Rasmus.

Calgary picks Tkachuk in 2016. No one complains about that, as opposed to maybe taking Kunin. They also picked Dube and I'm perfectly good with taking him over a RHS around that area of the draft. Third pick was Fox (RHS).

2017: Valimaki - any complaints about taking him ahead of RHS Liljedrin, Rob Thomas (he's pretty good though), Yamamoto (hah)? No second rounder (Lazar) but on the other hand, no player from that pick on has played a season on the NHL.

2018: No first rounder because Treliving traded it for Hamonic who is (you guessed it) a RHS D.

2019: Pelletier (LHS) but FWIW no player after him in the first round is a RHS.

Well, what about trades - He acquired Hamilton (RHS). He traded Hamilton (RHS) and Ferland (LHS) for Lindholm (RHS) and Hanifin (LHS). Traded Seiloff for Chiasson (RHS). Traded picks for Stone (RHS), Shore (RHS),

UFAs? Signed Brouwer (RHS). Signed Czarnik (RHS). Signed Foo (RHS). Signed Ryan (RHS). Signed LHS Frolik and Neal too, but it strikes me that Czarnik, Foo and especially Brower (and Neal) were sought for offence from the right side, as opposed to Frolik who was sought as a useful player (Ryan too, but he's RHS). He also signed Gawdin (RHS) FWIW.

You can blame Treliving for the fact that several RHS he acquired didn't pan out, like Brouwer, Foo, etc. But I think it's unfair to suggest he has ignored it.

Unfortunately, again a lot comes down to Bennett not panning out. Not only did it hurt the C depth, but that seems to be the draft where lots of RHS help could have been available. That pick seems inevitable though, and TBF it was Treliving's third month on the job.
This should pretty much put this thread to bed... Aside from the fact that the data the OP provided doesn't really convince me either way that the handedness of our players is a major issue.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 11:00 AM   #37
Kovaz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I think a correlated, but more important, issue is how few good shooters we have. We don't really have that type of weapon that can pick a corner from anywhere. As great as the Lindholm-Hanifin trade was, the biggest negative to me was losing arguably the best two shots on the team in Ferland and Hamilton. Neal being such a disaster also hurts here.

In the same way that having one or two super fast players can make a whole team seem fast and back off defences, I think having one or two elite shots can make the whole team seem more dangerous, and pull defenders out of the slot. But if there's nobody that's a threat from the perimeter, I think it makes us much easier to defend.

If anything, we have too many players in the "solid, high iq, decently skilled two-way player" mold, and not enough that bring something unique to the table. Incidentally those players often are left-hand shots, but that's not the core of the issue.

Last edited by Kovaz; 01-20-2020 at 11:03 AM.
Kovaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 11:10 AM   #38
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Plus he inherited a roster that had the following for right handed skaters

Wideman
Westgarth
Stempniak
McGrattan
Jones

Yikes!

The lefties he chose to keep instead of firesale them for guys that could shoot right included Monahan, Giordano, Gaudreau, Brodie, Backlund and Bennett.

Think this one missed the mark as an attack on Treliving's team building plan, but its interesting nonetheless. As pointed out he's clearly been trying to rectify this issue in recent seasons.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2020, 11:43 AM   #39
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

For fun this month my shinny hockey players had a game of right shooters vs. left shooters. The game ended in a tie. Science!
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2020, 11:45 AM   #40
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Flames have had their chances with adding elite right shooting forwards to the core in Tyler Seguin, Nathan MacKinnon and more recently Mark Stone, next up, William Nylander, Brayden Point, Patrik Laine and Travis Konecny.
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote