Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2019, 07:31 AM   #2741
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Free agent Antonio Brown is getting a workout with the New Orleans Saints on Friday morning as the team does its due diligence on the embattled wide receiver, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Saints star receiver Michael Thomas has a hand injury and was among the team's players listed as limited in Wednesday's walk-through practice. Coach Sean Payton said he wouldn't consider resting his starters heading into the regular-season finale against the Carolina Panthers.

The Saints (12-3) are projected to be the No. 3 seed in the NFC. But they can become the No. 1 seed if they win, the Green Bay Packers (12-3) lose at Detroit and the San Francisco 49ers (12-3) lose at Seattle.
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...working-saints
Old 12-27-2019, 09:23 AM   #2742
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
More than a little surprising to me.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...dimitroff-2020
What's the word for doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result because it applies here. I'm more than a little surprised as Ryan will be 35 to start next season and probably has only a couple more good years in him so sticking with the coach that has wasted the last few years seems like a bad idea.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 10:21 AM   #2743
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
What's the word for doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result because it applies here. I'm more than a little surprised as Ryan will be 35 to start next season and probably has only a couple more good years in him so sticking with the coach that has wasted the last few years seems like a bad idea.
Stuff like this is what actually makes me start feeling older, when I can actually say I watched a guy break into the league and am now witnessing his career wind down. I still remember Ryan's first pass as a pro was an 80-yard TD bomb to Roddy White (I think), and I was watching it at the Shark Club in Victoria.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 02:40 PM   #2744
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Stuff like this is what actually makes me start feeling older, when I can actually say I watched a guy break into the league and am now witnessing his career wind down. I still remember Ryan's first pass as a pro was an 80-yard TD bomb to Roddy White (I think), and I was watching it at the Shark Club in Victoria.
Yeah it doesn't seem that long ago that he broke in which is why it's surprising that he's already winding down to the end of his career. They had their chance to win a Super Bowl and that's probably the closest Ryan will ever see. He probably should go into the HOF as he's been much better than Eli Manning who will probably get in because of those two Super Bowl rings and also better overall than Rivers.
Old 12-27-2019, 07:22 PM   #2745
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah it doesn't seem that long ago that he broke in which is why it's surprising that he's already winding down to the end of his career. They had their chance to win a Super Bowl and that's probably the closest Ryan will ever see. He probably should go into the HOF as he's been much better than Eli Manning who will probably get in because of those two Super Bowl rings and also better overall than Rivers.
Realistically none of those guys should be in the HOF. Brady, Brees, Roethlisberger, and Rogers are the only active guys left from the 2000's who should get in. Eli does have the two Superbowls which maybe gets him some votes, but outside of those years nothing he did screamed Hall of Fame. These guys all have high passing numbers but thats all relative to the era.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2019, 10:28 PM   #2746
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Problem like a lot of teams is that they’ve paid a few guys too much money and have to patchwork the rest of the team up around them.

Jones and Ryan make up $54M on average of the yearly cap hit...more, actually the last couple years with all the signing bonus and way cap hits are calculated. Add Trufant etc and they are over $200M spent.

Falcons are already over the cap for next year. For reference top NFC teams, Saints currently have $20M, Seahawks $66M, 49ers $23M, Packers $27M of 2020 cap space.

When Seattle had to pay Wilson out his rookie contract it meant they had one year but some sacrifices (defense) and the SB window closed for a few years. Atl just redid a 30 year old Jones and a 35 Year old Ryan for 4 more seasons each. That’s not the coaches fault for having to fill the gaps as injuries arise, with practice roster players as that’s all they can afford.
browna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 06:47 AM   #2747
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Was literally thinking this as well when reading his post..man time flies. Was reading an article recently about where Cam Newton could end up next year "for his 10th season", blew my mind he's been in the league a decade already as well.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 10:06 AM   #2748
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Problem like a lot of teams is that they’ve paid a few guys too much money and have to patchwork the rest of the team up around them.

Jones and Ryan make up $54M on average of the yearly cap hit...more, actually the last couple years with all the signing bonus and way cap hits are calculated. Add Trufant etc and they are over $200M spent.

Falcons are already over the cap for next year. For reference top NFC teams, Saints currently have $20M, Seahawks $66M, 49ers $23M, Packers $27M of 2020 cap space.

When Seattle had to pay Wilson out his rookie contract it meant they had one year but some sacrifices (defense) and the SB window closed for a few years. Atl just redid a 30 year old Jones and a 35 Year old Ryan for 4 more seasons each. That’s not the coaches fault for having to fill the gaps as injuries arise, with practice roster players as that’s all they can afford.
It's the coaches fault when the defense is terrible year after year and he's not only changed up all his coordinators over the past few years he even started calling the defense to which it got even worse. The defense only got better recently when he gave up the play calling. Sometimes it's very easy to see when a coach is simply not getting the job done.

Not every team can manipulate the cap like the Patriots and Saints with their QB's signing very favorable team deals as most teams have to pay heavily for a franchise QB and just wait until Mahomes cashes in. The Chiefs have $43 million tied up in Frank Clark and Sammy Watkins. Jones and Ryan are better value than those two. Steelers have $48 million tied up in Big Ben and Stephon Tuitt and their defense has been very good this season. At the end of the day good coaches get the most out of the talent they have to work with.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2019, 11:29 AM   #2749
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not every team can manipulate the cap like the Patriots and Saints with their QB's signing very favorable team deals as most teams have to pay heavily for a franchise QB and just wait until Mahomes cashes in. The Chiefs have $43 million tied up in Frank Clark and Sammy Watkins. Jones and Ryan are better value than those two. Steelers have $48 million tied up in Big Ben and Stephon Tuitt and their defense has been very good this season. At the end of the day good coaches get the most out of the talent they have to work with.
Not sure how the Saints do it, but the fact that the Pats pay Brady's personal LLC a "consulting fee" so they can skirt around the cap on his actual contract is a complete sham.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2019, 12:46 PM   #2750
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not sure how the Saints do it, but the fact that the Pats pay Brady's personal LLC a "consulting fee" so they can skirt around the cap on his actual contract is a complete sham.
The NFL investigated but Kraft's attorneys covered their tracks very well. That doesn't change the fact that it's a total joke that even Joe Flacco gets paid more money than Brady for 2019.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2019, 09:05 PM   #2751
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Jeezuz...this is just awful.

Quote:
Marlo Jones, the youngest son of Detroit Lions wide receiver Marvin Jones and his wife, Jazmyn, died Friday.

Marlo was six months old.

"It is hard to believe that our little angel, our fighter from day one, our son 'Marlito' has unfortunately passed away and is no longer here with us," Marvin Jones wrote in an Instagram post. "Marlo, the joy that you brought to us everyday, with that smile, and that energy was like heaven on Earth.

"You will always be in our hearts. We will always remember you."
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...lo-died-friday
Old 12-28-2019, 09:24 PM   #2752
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I was in Seattle this weekend - lots of Niners fans in town. I got on to the Sunday Night Football bus, and saw the renovations going on at Key Arena. Pictures to follow . . .
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2019, 10:26 AM   #2753
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

ha! Raiders can get in IF:

Raiders win + Steelers loss + Titans loss + Colts win + Raiders clinching strength-of-victory tiebreaker over Steelers*

*Raiders clinch strength-of-victory tiebreaker over Steelers if one or more of the following teams wins or ties: Bears, Lions, Chargers or Patriots

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 10:40 AM   #2754
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Titans win and they go play the Chiefs next week which we have oddly had success against recently.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 11:19 AM   #2755
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Packers apparently were already looking ahead to a week off instead of focusing on the Lions.

Just completely uninspired. Dropped a 30 yard pass that hit Graham in the hands...short a guy on punt team right after and now allow the Lions to march down the field and score on a gimmick play that has the 3rd string QB catching a TD pass.

Awful.
Old 12-29-2019, 11:21 AM   #2756
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lions O have already done more against the Packers than the Vikings did that entire game last Sunday. Still can't get over how bad the Vikes offence is, for a playoff team
Old 12-29-2019, 11:33 AM   #2757
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thankfully the morning games don't matter in my pick'em pool. The guy I'm chasing and I picked the games the same way.
Old 12-29-2019, 11:34 AM   #2758
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ugh Payton why challenge that for DPI?? It deff was DPI, but not nearly egregious enough for the NFL to overturn that, the way they've been doing it this season

EDIT: Wow, they actually did overturn it, I'm shocked! Was the right call anyway

Last edited by Sainters7; 12-29-2019 at 11:36 AM.
Old 12-29-2019, 12:06 PM   #2759
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Will Grier just threw to a double covered Greg Olson instead of a wide open Curtis Samuel right beside him. Nice 3rd round pick.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 12:24 PM   #2760
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

35-0 Saints in the first half, Louisiana football offences are on point this weekend. Lions don't you tease me!