Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-22-2020, 06:51 AM   #2001
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

The only thing I felt was tedious were all the collectibles/POI scattered around the seas of Skellige.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cDnStealth For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2020, 12:19 PM   #2002
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
I've been playing and talking about Escape from Tarkov for a couple years now.

It's currently the highest viewed game on Twitch right now - check it out.
chiming in to say i picked this game up and wow, what a breath of fresh air

feels like a cross between day-z and dark souls. really hard to describe what this game is but man is it ever fun
stone hands is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stone hands For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2020, 07:04 AM   #2003
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I got a little addicted to the Gwent game and spent a fair bit of time just trying to collect all the cards.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2020, 12:59 PM   #2004
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

So me and some buddies from work are looking to get into a new MMO. We've got all various experience over the years from Ultima Online to Pubg type stuff. We are looking for a persistent world, preferably fantasy setting.

I've floated WOW so far, to mixed results. Elder Scrolls Online is another one guys are talking about.

We are huge Star Wars fans, but the current MMO looks pretty dated graphics wise.

Any suggestions for a group of four? We will be casual players, but are on the same shift so have lots of weird hours to play together.

It doesn't have to be free to play, but I'd rather play a subscription game than a pay to win type scenario as those seem to just be more expensive in the long haul. Also one guy starts dropping loads of cash and the rest of us fall behind or have to spend to keep up.
Old 01-23-2020, 01:00 PM   #2005
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Try Final Fantasy XIV. It's pretty much the gold standard for a fantasy MMORPG. It's WoW-like, but does everything better.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2020, 02:14 PM   #2006
BlAcKNoVa
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just started playing Octopath Traveler last night and oh my is it ever old school RPG goodness.
BlAcKNoVa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlAcKNoVa For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2020, 04:13 PM   #2007
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Like many people I’ve gotten back into Witcher 3 after watching the tv show. I thought I’d give the Switch version a try. What a mistake. They had to make so many concessions graphically to make it work. Everything is blurry/aliased and the lighting/shadows are awful.

I’ve enjoyed games like Skyrim on the Switch but it wasn’t graphically impressive to begin with. Witcher 3 is probably the most beautiful game I’ve ever played so I can’t accept the mess that is the Switch port.

I’ve switched to playing on my TV via Steam Link and it’s been perfect. I think I need to get a good lapboard though. Any suggestions?
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 04:58 PM   #2008
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Try Final Fantasy XIV. It's pretty much the gold standard for a fantasy MMORPG. It's WoW-like, but does everything better.
Seconded, FFXIV is amazing, and if you have a consistent group of 4 and never have to wait in the duty finder, even better.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 05:07 PM   #2009
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
So me and some buddies from work are looking to get into a new MMO. We've got all various experience over the years from Ultima Online to Pubg type stuff. We are looking for a persistent world, preferably fantasy setting.

I've floated WOW so far, to mixed results. Elder Scrolls Online is another one guys are talking about.

We are huge Star Wars fans, but the current MMO looks pretty dated graphics wise.

Any suggestions for a group of four? We will be casual players, but are on the same shift so have lots of weird hours to play together.

It doesn't have to be free to play, but I'd rather play a subscription game than a pay to win type scenario as those seem to just be more expensive in the long haul. Also one guy starts dropping loads of cash and the rest of us fall behind or have to spend to keep up.
Elder scrolls online is fantastic not grindy all the stories and quests are fantastic all can be done solo except for 4 man dungeons and raids. Has awesome pvp battlegrounds or a gigantic pvp area with castle sieges the only game I play currently
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2020, 08:11 PM   #2010
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

So there are specific 4 man instances? IE a consistent group of 4 people wouldnt have to ask anyone else to come along?
Old 01-23-2020, 10:19 PM   #2011
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So there are specific 4 man instances? IE a consistent group of 4 people wouldnt have to ask anyone else to come along?
In eso all the dungeon instances can be done 4 man also veteran dungeons are 4 man too pvp battlegrounds are groups of 4 it's free to play after you buy the base game you can subscribe to a monthly membership it gives you access to all the dlc but not the new expansions that come out. Also even though it's free the only thing you can buy are cosmetic things for your characters there is no pay to win
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2020, 11:22 PM   #2012
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:

The new expansion of SWTOR really pushes the graphics engine and there are areas that are gorgeous.

AS is Dantooine and Ossus.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2020, 09:16 AM   #2013
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

ESO seems to be the front runner right now garnering a lot of interest from 3/4 of us, especially with all of the content built around 4 mans and being free to play.

The group would love to play SWTOR, just haven't heard good things. I did download it and try out the beginning part on my old PC, where I had graphics set lower so I shouldn't judge it by that.

How's the PvP in that game Cap? Is it very WoWish/Battlefront 2 or more Mount and Blade/Witcher?

Is it a game that is better played story wise solo, or can a random group of characters from different classes/races come together and play through it all?
Old 01-24-2020, 11:37 AM   #2014
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Seconded, FFXIV is amazing, and if you have a consistent group of 4 and never have to wait in the duty finder, even better.
Here's my biggest issues with recommending FFXIV right now, especially to a group of people wanting to play together:
- Your starting class determines the starting city, and unlike WoW, you don't want to run to one place to play together from the start. You'll be jumping back and forth frequently in the first 15 levels to do job quests.
- Many main story instanced battles are single player only, not to be confused with dungeons which are all 4 players.
- A Realm Reborn is pretty grindy at times, especially in the section between the end of ARR's story and Heavensward's story. They will be correcting this problem this year.

That being said, it's an amazing game and well worth playing.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2020, 02:17 PM   #2015
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Wow or FFXIV? Gun to your head.
Old 01-24-2020, 02:44 PM   #2016
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been playing Middle-Earth: Shadows of War on GamePass. God damn is that a fun game. The first one was decent but this one is way better. Everything ramped up from the last, great story, and the fighting is awesome. If you like the Batman Games with a sprinkling of Assassin's Creed and are a LOTR fan you'll like it.

Feels like it's nonstop action the entire time. The game also does a good job of holding your hand to make sure you understand how upgrading works along with the rivalry aspect. It's a couple years old but recently came out on Gamepass. Well worth a play if you need a good deep action game to get into.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 06:18 PM   #2017
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Wow or FFXIV? Gun to your head.
WoW is my gut reaction. The single large continents without loading screens and the gameplay are the big advantages it has over FFXIV. The music and story of FFXIV destroys WoW, though.

As I've said previously here, I feel that Shadowbringers is equal to the best expansions WoW has released (which are Wrath of the Lich King and/or Legion, IMO). With Battle For Azeroth being a weak expansion, Shadowbringers hit at a perfect time.

Last edited by Mazrim; 01-24-2020 at 06:21 PM.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2020, 01:48 AM   #2018
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
ESO seems to be the front runner right now garnering a lot of interest from 3/4 of us, especially with all of the content built around 4 mans and being free to play.

The group would love to play SWTOR, just haven't heard good things. I did download it and try out the beginning part on my old PC, where I had graphics set lower so I shouldn't judge it by that.

How's the PvP in that game Cap? Is it very WoWish/Battlefront 2 or more Mount and Blade/Witcher?

Is it a game that is better played story wise solo, or can a random group of characters from different classes/races come together and play through it all?

The PVP is very much World of Warcraft MMO like. I really enjoy it. You really have to know your buffs/debuffs and be good with your interrupts though. What makes it interesting is there are some cool powers that you can use with mobility and there are some cycles that you can use that are very effective. There are also 8 different characters with different characteristics that you can further customize in terms of your skills progression.

The only complaint that I really had is that they over modified the Sith Sorcerer and the Imperial Agent characters lately and they lost a lot of the punch that they had. Honestly there was nothing better with the agent then sneaking up behind a player in a game of Huttball (Awesome PVP game) and stabbing him in the back and darn near killing him.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 12:38 PM   #2019
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

hell yes. Completely missed they've already announced this, and the fact it's already released in April makes it even better. The RE2 remake was absolutely brilliant, if this one is "only" just as good it's going to be a treat.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 09:41 AM   #2020
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
WoW is my gut reaction. The single large continents without loading screens and the gameplay are the big advantages it has over FFXIV. The music and story of FFXIV destroys WoW, though.

As I've said previously here, I feel that Shadowbringers is equal to the best expansions WoW has released (which are Wrath of the Lich King and/or Legion, IMO). With Battle For Azeroth being a weak expansion, Shadowbringers hit at a perfect time.
I think it's worth noting that 8.3 came out last week, and BfA feels a lot better. Not quite Legion 7.3 good but much closer than previously.

Over BfA launch, there are now 5 raids, 12 dungeons, 2 new expanded gear mechanics (HoA Essences and Corruption), 10 zones (2x daily tiers), a new Daily that's actually interesting (Visions of N'Zoth) and comes with a leveling mechanic, expanded War Campaign, heroic Warfronts, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.

Last edited by PsYcNeT; 01-28-2020 at 09:45 AM.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote