Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2020, 09:45 AM   #3921
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Interesting. I tried to watch it and couldn't even get past the first episode. Maybe I should try it again.
The first episode was purposely confusing. Probably a creative direction they couldn't have done without Netflix and releasing all 8 episodes at once.

Try episode 2. If it's still not working for you, then I'd move on.

Last edited by Ashasx; 01-20-2020 at 09:47 AM.
Ashasx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 09:51 AM   #3922
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Interesting. I tried to watch it and couldn't even get past the first episode. Maybe I should try it again.
There is time shifting going on that isn't obvious for those who haven't played the games or read the books.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 09:58 AM   #3923
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

I started the Witcher as well last week, on Ep 6 now.

I found this is one show where subtitles are a must. Makes it much easier to learn the names and follow the characters in my opinion.

I've enjoyed it thus far. It also helped that I read about the time shift before starting the series.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 04:41 PM   #3924
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
There is time shifting going on that isn't obvious for those who haven't played the games or read the books.
As someone who hasn't played the games or read the books, I would say the non-obvious time-shifting is by design and part of the show.

Sure it's not quite Heston falling on his knees in front of the Statue of Liberty, but I don't think it's something you need to tell someone.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2020, 08:51 AM   #3925
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

I watched the Don't F$&% With Cats series over the weekend. I was a bit ashamed I had somehow missed this when it actually happened. I will blame my American-ness and say its because we have such a high bar for crazy here it must have flown under the radar!

I saw a some comments a couple of pages back and agreed that the internet sleuths didn't really seem to do much. Had Magnotta not given his own name, they would have never known who it was. If anything, Magnotta was the better internet sleuth when he trolled the lady by linking to her job location. (perhaps she had openly discussed her work in those facebook groups and it was open knowledge. the show implied she was fairly private about her life though)

It was sad how disillusioned the mom was. I can only imagine it is a coping mechanism.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dobbles For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2020, 04:49 PM   #3926
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Finished up the Aaron Hernandez doc. Well done, for the most part, but one aspect seemed to be more rumour mongering than anything.

Spoiler!
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 09:37 AM   #3927
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Drive to Survive Season 2 hits Feb 28th. Looking forward to this one! Ferrari and Mercedes will be in this season, but I'm mostly tuning in for Guenther.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2020, 05:47 PM   #3928
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
Finished up the Aaron Hernandez doc. Well done, for the most part, but one aspect seemed to be more rumour mongering than anything.

Spoiler!

Huh? His highschool friend was on camera talking about how they were doing the dirty. Then others they wanted to bring forth in court to speak about their trysts with him, but the lawyers argued they didn't think it was relevant. It more than seems substantiated.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 07:39 PM   #3929
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
Huh? His highschool friend was on camera talking about how they were doing the dirty. Then others they wanted to bring forth in court to speak about their trysts with him, but the lawyers argued they didn't think it was relevant. It more than seems substantiated.
It was only really the high school kid though. Maybe I missed something, but the discussion with the other Patriot was only how his sexuality might be an issue and how hard it would be to cope. In any event, it would seem like a massive stretch to suggest it had much to do with it. Dick head father, sure. CTE, maybe.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 07:41 PM   #3930
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wasn't his brother also talking about it pretty matter of factly?
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2020, 08:56 AM   #3931
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
It was only really the high school kid though. Maybe I missed something, but the discussion with the other Patriot was only how his sexuality might be an issue and how hard it would be to cope. In any event, it would seem like a massive stretch to suggest it had much to do with it. Dick head father, sure. CTE, maybe.
Just finished watching last night. Very interesting show. Recommend.

Regarding the bisexuality, there was also the mention of the other inmate he had met and had a relationship(?) with. The supposed last person to see him alive the night of his suicide.
dubc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 08:58 AM   #3932
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
The high school quarterback's dad was awesome.
dubc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dubc80 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2020, 09:04 AM   #3933
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubc80 View Post
The high school quarterback's dad was awesome.
He was good, he acknowledged his prejudices and accepted his actions. I liked him.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 02:19 PM   #3934
Insufficient Funds
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Yes the first couple of episodes are a bit more of origin story for the 3 main characters. There is some jarring time jumping that makes way more sense in episode 4.

A little bit of background on The Witcher maybe for those who aren't familiar with the books or games. The first season of the show encompasses the first 2 books which were largely short stories. These stories range from a single monster hunt to more in depth "world building". The author didn't really know what he had until the 3rd book. It's for this reason the first season of the show may seem kind of pieced together.

The show runners wanted to included the origin stories and give some idea of the trials and tribulations the characters went through. The main characters are of course Geralt, Ciri and Yennifer. They really needed to set a base for future seasons with this kind of info. I won't go much further into it here for those who've not yet seen it. But I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to the next season in over a year from now.
Insufficient Funds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 02:08 PM   #3935
Hart50
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Giri/Haji is a very good gangster/thriller series that takes place in both London and Tokyo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4CZM2HdVJc
Hart50 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hart50 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2020, 01:12 PM   #3936
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I enjoyed Uncut Gems. Not sure why Sander did not get an Oscar nomination as IMO his acting in this is on the level as Phoenix. While I think Phoenix would be fully deserving of the Oscar for best actor that role wasn't much of a stretch for him as he's done this kind of character most of his career. When it comes to Sandler we are talking about a guy when you look at him you think of Opera Man, Cantina Boy or all the goofy characters played in his comedy movies and he did a masterful transformation to a hustler desperately trying to make that elusive big score.

Despite being over 2 hours the movie is very fast paced with a lot of edge of your seat scenes, a smidgen of indi-movie weirdness, and a fantastic cast. If you don't like Sandler I don't know if this will change your mind about him but if you like good movies I think it's worth a watch.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2020, 07:29 PM   #3937
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I enjoyed Uncut Gems. Not sure why Sander did not get an Oscar nomination as IMO his acting in this is on the level as Phoenix. While I think Phoenix would be fully deserving of the Oscar for best actor that role wasn't much of a stretch for him as he's done this kind of character most of his career. When it comes to Sandler we are talking about a guy when you look at him you think of Opera Man, Cantina Boy or all the goofy characters played in his comedy movies and he did a masterful transformation to a hustler desperately trying to make that elusive big score.

Despite being over 2 hours the movie is very fast paced with a lot of edge of your seat scenes, a smidgen of indi-movie weirdness, and a fantastic cast. If you don't like Sandler I don't know if this will change your mind about him but if you like good movies I think it's worth a watch.

I really enjoyed this. It’s only the second movie I’ve seen by the Safdie brothers, Good Time being the other. I found the style of both movies very similar very frenetic.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 03:48 PM   #3938
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Uncut Gems was good... I think?

Hard to tell when it’s anxiety ridden from start to finish. It’s uncomfortable to watch, but Sandler’s performance is a amazing.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 04:12 PM   #3939
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

Uncut Gems was fine. Sandler was good but, oh my god, there was so much yelling that it began to grate on me. There wasn’t a single sympathetic character in the movie which kind of makes sense with the subject matter I guess.
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 10:55 PM   #3940
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

There’s a new short film called What Did Jack Do? Starring and directed by David Lynch. He’s the only cast member. The synopsis says “A detective interrogates a monkey who is suspected of murder.” It’s only 17 mins long.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote