Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-14-2020, 03:43 PM   #6021
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Screen Rant is a great follow on youtube.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 04:22 PM   #6022
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
By far the biggest disappointment in the series was the lack of payoff for the White Walkers. I would watch a children of the forest/first men war series, just so they would have the opportunity to retcon why the Night King allowed himself to die, and ordered his most powerful generals to sit the last battle out.
To redeem Theon of course.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 03:10 PM   #6023
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I apologize for the necro-thread.

There has been something that has been bothering me for some time about the last couple of seasons of GOT. Having read a lot of RR Martin before GOT, I kind of had an idea of his writing style, and how a lot of his surprises, and twists, are never really twists at all but rather a subversion of expectation.

A video was just released, from a youtuber that has been at it for a long time, that sums up my one suspicion about the storyline after the television series caught up to the books as source material. It's common knowledge that Martin told D&D who was going to be sitting the Iron Throne at the end of the book, and the broad strokes of how they get there. D&D then went about finishing the story as if it were a nice linear CSI episode.

In the spoiler, I will say what my issue was with the end of the series, and underneath that the video, if you wish to go into it with a bit more depth. Fair warning that personally I find merit in this theory.

Spoiler!

Spoiler!
Old 12-02-2020, 03:21 PM   #6024
dakeyras
Farm Team Player

Exp:

[QUOTE=Harry Lime;7655791]
Spoiler!

There's always been plans for a book after TWOW. A Dream of Spring. As for plot, who knows, beyond the vague hints GRRM gives.

While it's possible that TWOW is ready, I personally don't think so. I just can't see the publishing company holding off because that's a ton of money they could be getting.
dakeyras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 03:37 PM   #6025
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

GRRM has a stranglehold on his publishing contract. He's not concerned about money, so much as legacy. He didn't leave the show on good terms after season four (three?) and from that point didn't really care if they couldn't keep up with the quality of his writing.

Spoiler!

Anyway, if the books do come out before everyone in the series is too old to play the parts, they could go onto a Season Nine, with GRRM's involvement and put a pretty satisfying bow on the whole thing! I'd love a final season that plays like a horror movie.
Old 12-02-2020, 03:39 PM   #6026
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

One step at a time there. Lets get GRRM to finish those books before we start dreaming of another adaptation.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 04:22 PM   #6027
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's really never finishing this series.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 11:06 PM   #6028
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

The morbid truth is that there's no way he lives long enough to finish the series
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 07:40 AM   #6029
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I don't think it would be that interesting, the Dragons are gone, the Targaryn's are gone. The good villains are gone, there's a unemotional dufus on the throne who can see the future.

Where would they go with it?
East? There is a huge continent there barely explored, and possibly more?
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 09:52 AM   #6030
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

We may get one more book from him but the likelihood is really low.

It's more likely he'll pass away and his pages and notes will be given to a ghostwriter to finish the story. They're not going to leave that money on the table.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 10:51 AM   #6031
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
He's really never finishing this series.
It seems to be a common theme among Fantasy writers.

I genuinely believe that GRRM is just burning through advances banking on dying before having to actually deliver any product.

Look at that man. Look at him!! He could go at any moment.

Its 2020....its a miracle hes survived this long.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 11:01 AM   #6032
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

I think he's lost interest in the series. Not uncommon with obscenely large projects like this. The planning stage was fun. Now that he has to execute, he's already burnt out.
Old 12-03-2020, 11:06 AM   #6033
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I think he's lost interest in the series. Not uncommon with obscenely large projects like this. The planning stage was fun. Now that he has to execute, he's already burnt out.
Fantasy writer loves world building, can't really complete a narrative. Tale as old as time.
Old 12-03-2020, 11:28 AM   #6034
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Fantasy writer loves world building, can't really complete a narrative. Tale as old as time.
I should write a 3, no 6, no 9 book series on the trials and tribulations of a fantasy writer and his attempt at world building. Just think of the world within a world building that is possible!

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 12-03-2020 at 11:49 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2020, 11:38 AM   #6035
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I should write a 3 no 6, no 9 book series on the trials and tribulations of a fantasy writer and his attempt at world building. Just think of the world within a world building that is possible!
You could call it Inception Inception.
Old 12-03-2020, 02:17 PM   #6036
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
We may get one more book from him but the likelihood is really low.

It's more likely he'll pass away and his pages and notes will be given to a ghostwriter to finish the story. They're not going to leave that money on the table.
Enter Brandon Sanderson, he finished up The Wheel of Time after Robert Jordan passed and he actually puts books out in a timely fashion.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 02:32 PM   #6037
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Enter Brandon Sanderson, he finished up The Wheel of Time after Robert Jordan passed and he actually puts books out in a timely fashion.
Brandon Sanderson actually did a better job with that than Jordan would have done. Writing a credible battle sequence is really hard to do, let alone for hundreds of pages. He also decided that the story couldn't be compressed into ending after 12, and made it a baker's dozen in order to tell the story properly. It's the best thing that could have happened to the Wheel of Time, because honestly that story was becoming a giant 80 tentacle squid monster.

They have cast the television series already, and I have to admit that I'm a little worried about their compression of the story on film. It will either be brilliant, or a Shanarra/Sword of Truth sized mess.

(I actually liked the Sword of Truth tv series. Horrible Xena-like scripts, but perfect casting.)
Old 12-03-2020, 02:37 PM   #6038
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had started The Wheel of Time back in 2000, and stalled out around book 5. Need to get back and read it all. I am enjoying Sanderson's Stormlight Archive.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 11:45 PM   #6039
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

It's really a slog, Sanderson did well enough but really it was an impossible task.

The TV show could be great if they just pick a subset of the story lines and polish those down.

I just started relistenting to the Stormlight Archive since the newest book just appeared.
Old 12-04-2020, 09:59 AM   #6040
Patek23
Franchise Player

Exp:

So one thing that’s really really bothered me. And I believe a video above touched on it a bit but it was way too long for me to watch it all. Bran becoming king is the biggest and laziest travesty in the entire series. Multiple times through the series after becoming the Raven he tells people he is no longer Bran and it’s a name he once knew. He becomes cold and distant to his relatives and then all of a sudden now he’s Bran again? What makes it even worse is:

Spoiler!
Patek23 is offline   Reply With Quote