Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-13-2022, 07:46 PM   #1881
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Interesting numbers out of Denmark

Their cases are flat to diligent rising again and their hospitalizations and icus are holding stable. They appear to have reached a steady state with Omicron. They are at 750 ish hospital including incidental and 70 ICU or so.

Their main advantages over us is significantly higher third doses, marginally higher second doses and higher rates of previous infection.
They also had restrictions in place for a month that are now going to lift (theatres, no spectators at sporting events, etc). They moved fast with Omicron so will be interesting to see what happens now. Did they 'flatten the curve' so it stays at a steady state for a longer period of time versus countries that just let it rip like England which went skyrocketing but are now starting to decline.
PeteMoss is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 01-13-2022, 08:59 PM   #1882
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

A propos some moron earlier saying that long mono isn't even a problem:
https://www.technologynetworks.com/i...rsonnel-357493

In short: had Mono = 32x more likely to get multiple sclerosis.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 09:03 PM   #1883
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
Ya, but for healthy kids, that risk is close to zero, likely similar to having an adverse reaction to the vaccine. Iím not sure what chicken pox has to do with covid vaccines for kids? Just because we vaccinate for chicken pox, is not a reason to vaccinate for covid.

So why should we vaccinate healthy kids now that itís not preventing transmission? Iím literally asking, not arguing FYIÖ.
Is it close to 0?

In the last 120 days (per a poster referencing the Alberta website, I havenít checked) 23% of hospitalizations had pre existing conditions. Based on JACI you prevent 1000 hospitalizations/million with childhood vaccinations. The risk is very low but the risk of getting Covid right now is nearly certain so the question is do you expose your child to the risk of Covid in a vaccinated state or not. I prefer a roughly 1/5000 to 1/10000 risk as opposed to 1/1000 given that side affects with the child doses are far more remote.

I compare to chicken pox because hospitalization and death risk among children is similar.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2022, 09:25 PM   #1884
ikaris
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Is it close to 0?

In the last 120 days (per a poster referencing the Alberta website, I havenít checked) 23% of hospitalizations had pre existing conditions. Based on JACI you prevent 1000 hospitalizations/million with childhood vaccinations. The risk is very low but the risk of getting Covid right now is nearly certain so the question is do you expose your child to the risk of Covid in a vaccinated state or not. I prefer a roughly 1/5000 to 1/10000 risk as opposed to 1/1000 given that side affects with the child doses are far more remote.

I compare to chicken pox because hospitalization and death risk among children is similar.

One factor to consider as well is how Omicron will play into this; I would speculate that the ďincidentalĒ covid hospitalizations for children will be even higher then the ~50% that is being observed in Ontario. Itíd great to see that data split up per age group to see if this speculation is actually true.
ikaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 09:33 PM   #1885
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikaris View Post
One factor to consider as well is how Omicron will play into this; I would speculate that the ďincidentalĒ covid hospitalizations for children will be even higher then the ~50% that is being observed in Ontario. Itíd great to see that data split up per age group to see if this speculation is actually true.
I think you could consider the similar risk ratios from Delta to omicron and then just use JACI data on hospital prevention and ignore the issue.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 09:47 PM   #1886
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ya, but for healthy kids, that risk is close to zero, likely similar to having an adverse reaction to the vaccine. Iím not sure what chicken pox has to do with covid vaccines for kids? Just because we vaccinate for chicken pox, is not a reason to vaccinate for covid.

So why should we vaccinate healthy kids now that itís not preventing transmission? Iím literally asking, not arguing FYIÖ.
I like the good old days of chicken pox parties. I remember being a kid and my friend a few doors down got chicken pox. Later that week all the kids on the block had chicken pox and we stayed home from school together. It was awesome.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2022, 09:49 PM   #1887
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
A propos some moron earlier saying that long mono isn't even a problem:
https://www.technologynetworks.com/i...rsonnel-357493

In short: had Mono = 32x more likely to get multiple sclerosis.
I didn't say that. I said no one cares or talks about it.
Old 01-13-2022, 11:44 PM   #1888
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:

Because the risk from the vaccine is even closer to zero.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 02:28 AM   #1889
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't ignore long Syphillis!
Old 01-14-2022, 07:23 AM   #1890
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1481979664650276868

So now covid could screw our chances to make the world cup

Last edited by PeteMoss; 01-14-2022 at 07:51 AM.
Old 01-14-2022, 07:47 AM   #1891
Amethyst
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
https://twitter.com/tsn_sports/statu...650276868?s=21

So now covid could screw our chances to make the world cup
It's screwed everything else up, so why not?
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 09:31 AM   #1892
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Daily Mail, so take it with a big grain of salt until it is fully confirmed, but the UK seems to be moving in the right direction if Omicron is peaking and going down. We shouldn't be far behind.

Quote:
England 'WILL scrap Covid passes and WFH at the end of the month’ because they are 'hard to justify' now that Omicron is subsiding — with masks on trains and in shops the only curb left
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...fortnight.html
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 10:05 AM   #1893
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Honest question: what's the point of putting your kid through 2/3 needle pokes now, when it's not going to move the needle on stopping this pandemic?
Protect them from the possibility of severe outcomes. And also so you can travel internationally (eventually the requirement will fall to kids under 12, I'm sure).

Some cities require it (age 5+) to eat at restaurants, attend sporting events, etc. New York being one. Newark another. Basically, if you want to be part of society moving forward.

Last edited by Sidney Crosby's Hat; 01-14-2022 at 10:13 AM.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 10:22 AM   #1894
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

nice of the governbment to create 24 hrs of choas in the trucking industry.

it will be interestign to see what the double vaxx mandate does to US/Canada shipping and the supply and food chains.

to me it is just yet some more potential upward pressure on the cost of stuff. but, i guess canada has a supply of root vegetables like potatos and turnips and they are so much more enjoyable than strawberries and grapes
Old 01-14-2022, 10:26 AM   #1895
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney Crosby's Hat View Post
Protect them from the possibility of severe outcomes. And also so you can travel internationally (eventually the requirement will fall to kids under 12, I'm sure).

Some cities require it (age 5+) to eat at restaurants, attend sporting events, etc. New York being one. Newark another. Basically, if you want to be part of society moving forward.
I'd imagine most mandates will be dropped in the next 3-6 months.

No point for a mandate if 100% of the population has been exposed and hospital rates are trending downwards.
Old 01-14-2022, 10:28 AM   #1896
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
I'd imagine most mandates will be dropped in the next 3-6 months.

No point for a mandate if 100% of the population has been exposed and hospital rates are trending downwards.
Possibly - although we just saw a variant that evaded everything. If we are going to blow up our hospitals every winter still a chance that a mandate would go in place.
The Following User Says Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2022, 10:28 AM   #1897
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post

it will be interestign to see what the double vaxx mandate does to US/Canada shipping and the supply and food chains.

to me it is just yet some more potential upward pressure on the cost of stuff. but, i guess canada has a supply of root vegetables like potatos and turnips and they are so much more enjoyable than strawberries and grapes
Already a big shortage of truckers.

My guess is they are trying to play hardball. Can't imagine the mandate will stay in place.

If it does, have fun people. Small businesses are gonna get torn apart & inflation is gonna sky rocket like we've never seen before.
Old 01-14-2022, 10:30 AM   #1898
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post

Garlic Mashed Potatoes > Garlic Mashed Strawberries

EDIT: My Uncle grows garlic for the whole family, won't be running out of that either.
Old 01-14-2022, 10:30 AM   #1899
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
Possibly - although we just saw a variant that evaded everything. If we are going to blow up our hospitals every winter still a chance that a mandate would go in place.
True.

But we also never had 100% of the population exposed.

After Omicron we'll have 100% exposure, and 90% vaccination rates.

Not sure how a virus reacts to an environment like that. Mutate to survive means what? Less deadly? More deadly?

I guess the Chinese will need to make sure they code the next go around properly.
Old 01-14-2022, 10:40 AM   #1900
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
True.

But we also never had 100% of the population exposed.

After Omicron we'll have 100% exposure, and 90% vaccination rates.

Not sure how a virus reacts to an environment like that. Mutate to survive means what? Less deadly? More deadly?

I guess the Chinese will need to make sure they code the next go around properly.
Why would 100% of the population get exposed? That never happens with any disease (unless you're talking about over years and years). The UK is already seeing cases decline after an estimated ~25-30% attack rate for Omicron (likely because of high booster uptake).
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post: