Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-13-2022, 03:24 PM   #1861
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
Its not as simple as saying I don't want to take them though.

You have to watch some vaccine knowledge video and then get a commissioner for signing affidavits to sign it. Not the world's most stringent thing but more than just signing a sheet a paper.
Well yeah. But for someone who is adamant about not vaccinating their kids, that is easy to do.

I think that is why its not common knowledge that we have vaccination requirements in schools. Turns out its not that hard to get an exemption.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 03:38 PM   #1862
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Well, another 3:30 presser today w/ Kenney and Hinshaw.

What are the Vegas odds on what is going to happen?

1:1 - it will start late
4:1 - all schools going online for a while?
5:1 - some grades going online for a while"
6:1 - cancellation of kids and adult rec sports?
7:1 - further restrictions on gyms, dining, personal services?
dubc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dubc80 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2022, 03:41 PM   #1863
GordonBlue
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubc80 View Post

1:1 going to complain about the feds, rapid test deliveries in particular.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 03:41 PM   #1864
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Very unlikely to have major restrictions, considering that Quebec of all place is now rescinding its curfew and bring back to school after realizing it did absolutely nothing and was grossly overzealous considering the mild and infectious nature of omicron.

May even be the opposite the direction and less restrictions.
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 03:42 PM   #1865
Eric Vail
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

How about:

It's Trudeau's fault you don't have the rapid test kits I promised.
Eric Vail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 03:42 PM   #1866
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebot View Post
Very unlikely to have major restrictions, considering that Quebec of all place is now rescinding its curfew and bring back to school after realizing it did absolutely nothing as was grossly overzealous.

You hear that everoyne?
Don't tear up those tickets for the game tonight just yet....
Old 01-13-2022, 03:45 PM   #1867
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotinthebacklund View Post
More evidence is needed on the use of the different COVID-19 vaccines in children to be able to make general recommendations on vaccinating children against COVID-19.

Your choice to vaccinate your children, I would never judge you based on that decision. Just as its my right as a parent to chose not to at this time.
Yeah I’ve seen you pluck out this one line and bold it already. Twice. I also read the link in its entirety. Thanks.

It doesn’t say anything about concerns with safety in children.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 03:46 PM   #1868
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Back_Shantz View Post
You hear that everoyne?
Don't tear up those tickets for the game tonight just yet....
Usually major restrictions are pre-leaked well before the presser as notices are sent prior, and there's nothing of the sort.

It's likely going to be testing and school related.
Old 01-13-2022, 03:47 PM   #1869
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't expect much out of this, other than yelling at the feds for rapid tests.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2022, 03:53 PM   #1870
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebot View Post
Very unlikely to have major restrictions, considering that Quebec of all place is now rescinding its curfew and bring back to school after realizing it did absolutely nothing and was grossly overzealous considering the mild and infectious nature of omicron.

ORRRRR they are on the downside of their wave so don't need it anymore.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 04:04 PM   #1871
shotinthebacklund
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Yeah I’ve seen you pluck out this one line and bold it already. Twice. I also read the link in its entirety. Thanks.

It doesn’t say anything about concerns with safety in children.

I have never once claimed it to say its unsafe. If you feel the need to defend your decision to vaccinate direct it elsewhere. I have zero issues with your choice to vaccinate.
shotinthebacklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 04:32 PM   #1872
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
ORRRRR they are on the downside of their wave so don't need it anymore.
ORRRRR Legault's curfew was quite unpopular and backfired soundly and he is saving face.

https://lactualite.com/politique/la-caq-recule/

It's an election year, not surprising the curfew relief announcement happened the same day as a major poll showing a major loss lead mostly attributed to the newest curfew (and it needs to be taken in context, as the CAQ previously was extremely popular in Quebec in its handling of the pandemic and polled at nearly 50% in prior polls for Maintreet Research). He was able to sell previous restrictions, this one he could not.
Old 01-13-2022, 04:57 PM   #1873
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

People in hospital still increasing, but the rate of increase has declined for the 2nd day in a row. Good to see ICU numbers declined slightly today.

Acording to official numbers, almost 1 in 60 Albertans have Covid...using Dr. Hinshaw's extrapolation, that number is 1 in 6.
Old 01-13-2022, 05:13 PM   #1874
AFireInside
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotinthebacklund View Post
Bingo
Bingo? Were you going to vaccinate your child before Omicron? If you weren't then it's kind of silly to suggest that now that vaccinated catch it more frequently it's pointless.

I find this whole narrative from people who didn't want to get it, saying all along the vaccines don't work (not you) sitting here now saying, "but vaccinated catch it now too, so what's the point"?!

The point was 6 months ago. If I sit here every season and say that McDavid is going to get a knee injury, and he finally does after 5 seasons of me saying that, it doesn't mean I was right.

For the record I'm fine if people choose not to get their child vaccinated, everyone just needs to be ok with their decisions if complications arise, from whatever they decide.
AFireInside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 05:49 PM   #1875
username
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFireInside View Post
Bingo? Were you going to vaccinate your child before Omicron? If you weren't then it's kind of silly to suggest that now that vaccinated catch it more frequently it's pointless.

I find this whole narrative from people who didn't want to get it, saying all along the vaccines don't work (not you) sitting here now saying, "but vaccinated catch it now too, so what's the point"?!

The point was 6 months ago. If I sit here every season and say that McDavid is going to get a knee injury, and he finally does after 5 seasons of me saying that, it doesn't mean I was right.

For the record I'm fine if people choose not to get their child vaccinated, everyone just needs to be ok with their decisions if complications arise, from whatever they decide.

There are a lot of people that were waiting for more data on whether or not to vaccinate their kids, especially those 5 or 6 years of age (youngest of the age range). Most people know the only reason to vaccinate kids is to stop the spread and protect others, kids themselves are safe. Now that we know the vaccine doesn't do either of those things for those vaccinated, most people that were waiting aren't going to vaccinate their kids.

Honest question: what's the point of putting your kid through 2/3 needle pokes now, when it's not going to move the needle on stopping this pandemic?
username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 06:50 PM   #1876
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
There are a lot of people that were waiting for more data on whether or not to vaccinate their kids, especially those 5 or 6 years of age (youngest of the age range). Most people know the only reason to vaccinate kids is to stop the spread and protect others, kids themselves are safe. Now that we know the vaccine doesn't do either of those things for those vaccinated, most people that were waiting aren't going to vaccinate their kids.

Honest question: what's the point of putting your kid through 2/3 needle pokes now, when it's not going to move the needle on stopping this pandemic?
We vaccinate children for chicken pox, a disease with a similar hospitalization rate to Covid in children. You put your kid through a needle poke because it reduces overall risk of hospitalization.

Last edited by GGG; 01-13-2022 at 06:53 PM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 07:00 PM   #1877
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
We vaccinate children for chicken pox, a disease with a similar hospitalization rate to Covid in children. You put your kid through a needle poke because it reduces overall risk of hospitalization.
And the risk of “long chickenpox”…. Shingles.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2022, 07:08 PM   #1878
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting numbers out of Denmark

Their cases are flat to diligent rising again and their hospitalizations and icus are holding stable. They appear to have reached a steady state with Omicron. They are at 750 ish hospital including incidental and 70 ICU or so.

Their main advantages over us is significantly higher third doses, marginally higher second doses and higher rates of previous infection.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 07:30 PM   #1879
Ryan Coke
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post

For me, while I completely agree that it’s not about “stopping spread”, and I am not particularly concerned with her risk of serious outcomes, there are a couple of reasons I had my youngest daughter vaccinated right away.

The balance of risk was still in favour of vaccination, although the numbers were small either way. But I also prefer my kids to be less sick than more sick. She is going to get it in all likelihood, so if I can maximize the chances that it is a minor illness (equivalent to a cold instead of the flu, for instance) then I’ll still take that.

And with the risks so small, the question becomes why wouldn’t she get it?
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan Coke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2022, 07:36 PM   #1880
username
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Ya, but for healthy kids, that risk is close to zero, likely similar to having an adverse reaction to the vaccine. I’m not sure what chicken pox has to do with covid vaccines for kids? Just because we vaccinate for chicken pox, is not a reason to vaccinate for covid.

So why should we vaccinate healthy kids now that it’s not preventing transmission? I’m literally asking, not arguing FYI….
username is offline   Reply With Quote