Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-12-2022, 10:53 AM   #1721
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

You are disregarding the words repeated and eventually in that excerpt posted above.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 11:01 AM   #1722
shotinthebacklund
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
You are disregarding the words repeated and eventually in that excerpt posted above.

Boosters “can be done once, or maybe twice, but it’s not something that we can think should be repeated constantly,” Marco Cavaleri, the EMA head of biological health threats and vaccines strategy, said at a press briefing on Tuesday.

Is a variant altered vaccine considered a booster or a new immunization?
shotinthebacklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 11:21 AM   #1723
Stampede2TheCup
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotinthebacklund View Post
https://www.who.int/news/item/11-01-...ne-composition

Suddenly there is a voice rising that is strongly opposed repeat booster. The WHO has come out with this statement.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ystem-ema-says
Quote:
Currently you are eligible in Alberta to receive a booster 5 months post second vaccination.

If there is safety concerns with getting it in a tighter timeline then 1 year would you not like to have this information?

From the Bloomberg article:
Quote:
Repeat booster doses every four months could eventually weaken the immune system and tire out people, according to the European Medicines Agency. Instead, countries should leave more time between booster programs and tie them to the onset of the cold season in each hemisphere, following the blueprint set out by influenza vaccination strategies, the agency said.
The 3rd shot, or first booster is crucially needed for protection against Omicron. The link you posted casts doubt on frequent boosters, which is a different thing entirely. They are talking about 4th shots and beyond, and it's not really what I would characterize as a "safety concern" based on the article.

https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/sto...r-study-finds/

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/12/14/covi...heres-why.html
Stampede2TheCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 11:36 AM   #1724
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
The three biggest unions in Alberta are pushing for a “circuit-breaker” to deal with the rising cases. The ATA, Nurses and AUPE all signed an open letter saying we should have no in-person dining at restaurants and bars, close gyms and have kids back in online learning.

The government says it’s not on the table.
I doubt those union leaders represent their membership on this issue. I'm hearing unrest from a few members of trade unions.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2022, 11:48 AM   #1725
belsarius
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I doubt those union leaders represent their membership on this issue. I'm hearing unrest from a few members of trade unions.
I'm hearing a lot of support from members of ATA, Nurses and AUPE so I think they are representing their membership.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 11:54 AM   #1726
chedder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Is there any point in rapid testing just because your spouse's parents are coming over? My thoughts are it's only necessary if anyone has any symptoms. Everyone is triple vaxxed except kids, who are double.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 11:57 AM   #1727
shotinthebacklund
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampede2TheCup View Post
From the Bloomberg article:

The 3rd shot, or first booster is crucially needed for protection against Omicron. The link you posted casts doubt on frequent boosters, which is a different thing entirely. They are talking about 4th shots and beyond, and it's not really what I would characterize as a "safety concern" based on the article.

https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/sto...r-study-finds/

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/12/14/covi...heres-why.html

What is the duration of protection going to look like from the booster? I had read a study at one point showing some indication of a repeating half life of protection. 6 months for initial 2 dose course of immunization 3 months for the booster. I believe it was out of Israel but im not sure. Would make sense as they are administering 2nd boosters allegedly.

Does anyone have any insight into trials being done currently regarding vaccination or Boosters after a Covid infection?
Old 01-12-2022, 12:00 PM   #1728
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
My mom has serious dementia, we were forced to hospitalize her due to it while we found her long term care, which we found, but had to go through all the hoops before we could transfer her. I've gone to visit her every night (Its heartbreaking a lot of the time she has no idea who I am). I went to go tonight at the Rocky View and was denied visitation as there was a positive case in the ward and its shut down. This also delays us moving her into the LTC facility.

My Dad is devastated he goes every day and spends hours with her. I think it helps so he's not alone during the day.
I am on the BOD for the Lac St. Anne Foundation. We are walking such an insane tight rope for providing care and housing for the elderly and keeping access for families. Your patience is appreciated, it is incredibly hard on the staff.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wastedyouth For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2022, 12:00 PM   #1729
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Most countries aren't even mandating the 3rd shot which at this point we see some clear benefits.

But there are countries like Israel who for a time seemed pretty trigger happy at booster, booster, booster. Quite obvious the paranoia and fear has won in their government, so that is probably where this push back against repeated boosters after the 3rd shot is coming from.

Canada is already 3/4 through Omicron and we still haven't even mandating the booster, so I doubt it will happen outside of those idiots in Quebec who think government imposed rules are the only solution out of this.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 12:06 PM   #1730
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Most countries aren't even mandating the 3rd shot which at this point we see some clear benefits.

But there are countries like Israel who for a time seemed pretty trigger happy at booster, booster, booster. Quite obvious the paranoia and fear has won in their government, so that is probably where this push back against repeated boosters after the 3rd shot is coming from.

Canada is already 3/4 through Omicron and we still haven't even mandating the booster, so I doubt it will happen outside of those idiots in Quebec who think government imposed rules are the only solution out of this.
Israel vaccinated their country first so they are ahead of every where else so their 3rd shots are waning now as Omicron hits. Its a timing thing - not paranoia and fear.

Everyone who has a different approach than you aren't paranoid, fearful or idiots.
Old 01-12-2022, 12:17 PM   #1731
shotinthebacklund
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
Israel vaccinated their country first so they are ahead of every where else so their 3rd shots are waning now as Omicron hits. Its a timing thing - not paranoia and fear.

Everyone who has a different approach than you aren't paranoid, fearful or idiots.

Comes back to considering how many doses its going to take? At what time frame? Dont get me wrong, I really hope it does not come to this but nothing currently suggests this wont be the intention. Everyone who has a different approach to you are not mindless, self entitled , mouth breathers. ( dont mean that as a personal attack, more as pointing out the hypocrisy of the statement. )

Last edited by shotinthebacklund; 01-12-2022 at 12:20 PM.
Old 01-12-2022, 12:24 PM   #1732
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Comes back to considering how many doses its going to take? At what time frame? Dont get me wrong, I really hope it does not come to this but nothing currently suggests this wont be the intention. Everyone who has a different approach to you are not mindless, self entitled , mouth breathers. ( dont mean that as a personal attack, more as pointing out the hypocrisy of the statement. )
The current vaccines are not going to be the final product. We will have phase 2 vaccines - either pointed to the VoC or pan-coronavirus.

No one is expecting anyone to get this specific vaccine 17 times and if we do have to do that - our vaccine development is failing us.

And I don't think anyone with a different opinion is any of that - was just parroting the language used in the previous post about the governments being paranoid and afraid.
Old 01-12-2022, 12:30 PM   #1733
Stampede2TheCup
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
What is the duration of protection going to look like from the booster? I had read a study at one point showing some indication of a repeating half life of protection. 6 months for initial 2 dose course of immunization 3 months for the booster. I believe it was out of Israel but im not sure. Would make sense as they are administering 2nd boosters allegedly.

Does anyone have any insight into trials being done currently regarding vaccination or Boosters after a Covid infection?
You should know by now in this stage of Covid "what's the duration of protection going to look like from the booster?" is a complicated question that we probably don't have an answer to yet. Especially considering that the virus keeps changing so much.

Getting vaccination after Covid infection helps immunity. As for trials, I have no idea if they exist or what you are even trying to figure out anymore.
Old 01-12-2022, 12:32 PM   #1734
Stampede2TheCup
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
How many shots does it take a sniper to hit a target?
Old 01-12-2022, 12:33 PM   #1735
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Knowing what we know now, even if Omicron didn't exist these vaccines would have likely been a primary series of 3 doses, probably spaced over a period of 9-12 months (dose 1 -> 3 month gap -> dose 2 -> 6-8 month gap -> dose 3). Acting like a 3rd dose is some act of desperation is just ignoring all the evidence that has been around for months.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2022, 12:36 PM   #1736
shotinthebacklund
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
You should know by now in this stage of Covid "what's the duration of protection going to look like from the booster?" is a complicated question that we probably don't have an answer to yet. Especially considering that the virus keeps changing so much.

Getting vaccination after Covid infection helps immunity. As for trials, I have no idea if they exist or what you are even trying to figure out anymore.

You dont have any concerns about possible implications of vaccination after infection? You are willing to just run under the assumption it can be nothing but a good thing? There has to be studies being done of this. I was vaccinated after a Delta infection and had whats considered severe outcomes, I would not want others to have a similar experience.

Last edited by shotinthebacklund; 01-12-2022 at 12:38 PM.
Old 01-12-2022, 12:37 PM   #1737
Cowboy89
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by belsarius View Post
I'm hearing a lot of support from members of ATA, Nurses and AUPE so I think they are representing their membership.
Of course their membership supports it. All of them will continue to get paid and they won't have to pay the price the hospitality industry and other industries that require in person sales or services will. There is no downside for them.
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cowboy89 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2022, 12:37 PM   #1738
shotinthebacklund
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
How many shots does it take a sniper to hit a target?

Are they a good Sniper?.... I actually have no idea what you are referencing here. sorry
Old 01-12-2022, 01:05 PM   #1739
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
Is there any point in rapid testing just because your spouse's parents are coming over? My thoughts are it's only necessary if anyone has any symptoms. Everyone is triple vaxxed except kids, who are double.
I guess that depends on how you feel about your in-laws....
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 01:09 PM   #1740
belsarius
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy89 View Post
Of course their membership supports it. All of them will continue to get paid and they won't have to pay the price the hospitality industry and other industries that require in person sales or services will. There is no downside for them.
Plus it helps protect the public institutions from failure. Don't forget that when you are trying to colour everyone's world view with a "got mine, F the rest" attitude.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote