Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-04-2022, 11:38 PM   #921
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes, absolutely there are larger structural problems at play here where you definitely have a point.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 11:40 PM   #922
Ryan Coke
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
That's the ####ing problem here.

He did everything right and brought his ####ing covid to the work place for all of us to enjoy.

Which brings me back to my post and the first line in my post, which was a simple question.
Should people have to isolate for 14 days every time they ride transit, go to a restaurant, play hockey, or get together with friends or family?

The virus is anywhere, and everywhere. Vaccines are awesome though.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Ryan Coke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2022, 11:43 PM   #923
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rapid tests are creating a false sense of security allowing people to go around symptomatic and likely infectious. Seems like a decent percentage of the population have to be full blown to test positive. At the end of the day we probably aren't dodging this thing over the next month or so.
burn_this_city is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2022, 11:45 PM   #924
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
If the guy even waited 5 days before coming back to work this would have all been avoided.
How do you know he got it travelling and didn't get it on the 31st or 1st when be was back in town already?
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kevman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2022, 11:48 PM   #925
CrunchBite
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
So the answer to the question why aren't we making travelers isolate anymore is...."you're going to get exposed to it anyways, so #### it"

Alrighty then.

I'm fully vaxxed, as are most out here, if not all.

They sent buddy home. Why? He's fully vaxxed so who gives a ####.

They will send me home too if I test positive.
They will probably shut the whole operation down if enough people test positive.

Why? Who gives a #### right? That's what vaccinations are for.

Maybe the vaccination can pay me my day rate for all the days I will miss if we get shut down lol

If the guy even waited 5 days before coming back to work this would have all been avoided.

You have no way to know he brought it back from his trip, he could have just as easily got it from one of you guys walking around asymptomatic. Or from any number of other places.
CrunchBite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 11:48 PM   #926
memphusk
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
No. Vaccines prevent serious illness and death, which was not what heís worried about.

This is why we should have paid sick days. Either that or give up completely on not going to work/school/social outings with symptoms. Let the virus spread freely.

Treat it like a cold. Only stay home if you get paid sick time. But still hang out with friends, go to the movies, vacation and go to work if youíre paid hourly. Basically take no precautions and only skip things if you feel unwell enough to want to skip them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Rapid tests are creating a false sense of security allowing people to go around symptomatic and likely infectious. Seems like a decent percentage of the population have to be full blown to test positive. At the end of the day we probably aren't dodging this thing over the next month or so.
Governments plan to end the fear. They were up to it all alomg!
Old 01-04-2022, 11:49 PM   #927
Ryan Coke
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevman View Post
How do you know he got it travelling and didn't get it on the 31st or 1st when be was back in town already?
If he got it at a New Years get together in Calgary, then is it OK? (Directed at Roof Daddy).
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 11:56 PM   #928
memphusk
First Line Centre

Exp:

Most of us will get it at an inconvenient time if we notice.
Old 01-04-2022, 11:59 PM   #929
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevman View Post
Fair enough, but according to him he didn't go anywhere after getting home.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 12:02 AM   #930
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphusk View Post
Most of us will get it at an inconvenient time if we notice.
Most of us have probably already had Omicron.
Old 01-05-2022, 12:06 AM   #931
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
This is the emerging topic of high quality spit. Depending where/when/how you sample for the test it can have vastly different results person to person.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Boreal For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2022, 12:34 AM   #932
OptimalTates
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Takes a covid test in order to get on the plane, negative.
Comes back to Canada on the 30th.
Comes out to work on the 1st, takes a rapid test when he arrives, negative.
Has a sore throat and gets tested again today on the 4th, positive.
Damn poor guy goes to work right after holidays, does everything right, likely pays for a test to get home, and then you or one of your coworkers gives him the Omicron variant (that is now looking like it has an incubation period of three days)? Sucks for him.
OptimalTates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OptimalTates For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2022, 01:28 AM   #933
cal_guy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
Why wouldnít our governments produce something similar? This information was known at the onset of the pandemic, yet very little mention of how a healthy lifestyle is important in the fight against COVID. Probably more important now then ever given how omicron seems to evade the vaccine but nah, letís close gyms instead.

https://twitter.com/nayibbukele/stat...737317385?s=21
I recall early in the pandemic a study found that people in the overweight BMI category had better outcomes compared to those in the normal BMI category which isn't all that unusual for an acute disease.
cal_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 02:51 AM   #934
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimalTates View Post
Damn poor guy goes to work right after holidays, does everything right, likely pays for a test to get home, and then you or one of your coworkers gives him the Omicron variant (that is now looking like it has an incubation period of three days)? Sucks for him.
Nice try dip ####, but we get site tested every three ####ing days and he is the first positive we've had on site since we started testing in December.

So why don't you shut the #### up if you have nothing useful to contribute to the conversation.

Last edited by Roof-Daddy; 01-05-2022 at 02:54 AM.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2022, 07:46 AM   #935
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So the answer to the question why aren't we making travelers isolate anymore is...."you're going to get exposed to it anyways, so #### it"

Alrighty then.

I'm fully vaxxed, as are most out here, if not all.

They sent buddy home. Why? He's fully vaxxed so who gives a ####.

They will send me home too if I test positive.
They will probably shut the whole operation down if enough people test positive.

Why? Who gives a #### right? That's what vaccinations are for.

Maybe the vaccination can pay me my day rate for all the days I will miss if we get shut down lol

So you as a close contact agent isolating before testing positive? This is the same standard you wanted to hold your coworker to even without being exposed to a known contact. The act of travel didnít really change anything.

For a quarantine after travel to make sense youíd need to have a higher likelihood of getting Covid from travel than just being around Calgary or wherever people live.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 08:40 AM   #936
Lubicon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
If people are following guidance of most health authorities and also common sense they are not running around town if they are symptomatic at all. I can see rapid tests as a false sense of security for asymptomatic carriers but anyone who is symptomatic and is still throwing caution into the wind is the a-hole, rapid test or not.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2022, 08:51 AM   #937
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spoiler!

https://twitter.com/ErinBromage/stat...27207846502406

source study:
https://academic.oup.com/jid/article...QR-PbUA4twVU-s

Very interesting compilation of tests and infections. Antigen tests and viral cultures seem to line up fairly well, while PCR and symptoms match better.

Last edited by Fuzz; 01-05-2022 at 08:55 AM.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 09:14 AM   #938
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Spoiler!

https://twitter.com/ErinBromage/stat...27207846502406

source study:
https://academic.oup.com/jid/article...QR-PbUA4twVU-s

Very interesting compilation of tests and infections. Antigen tests and viral cultures seem to line up fairly well, while PCR and symptoms match better.
I suspect most of the issues with the rapid tests in reality vs studies is people doing them correctly. I assume the people in studies know what they are doing while someone doing it on themselves might not jam the thing far enough up their nose or get a proper sample for testing.
PeteMoss is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2022, 09:21 AM   #939
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
I suspect most of the issues with the rapid tests in reality vs studies is people doing them correctly. I assume the people in studies know what they are doing while someone doing it on themselves might not jam the thing far enough up their nose or get a proper sample for testing.
Ya, with Omicron you are actually being recommended to swab your throat as well, which makes sense considering that's where it sets up shop. I presume that isn't very well known.

Quote:
Many doctors are urging people using rapid antigen testing kits to swab their throats as well as their noses to improve their chances of detecting the virus early.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...wave-1.6299950
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 09:30 AM   #940
Knut

Exp:

A good summary on rapid tests here.

https://yourlocalepidemiologist.subs..._source=direct

Quote:
What should I do?

Rapid Ag tests can detect Omicron and they can, most of the time, tell you whether youíre contagious. The first couple days after exposure or symptoms, they may not work as well. To counter this, here are four tips:

Wait. If you have symptoms or were exposed itís important to isolate and wait a day or two to use an antigen test. This will ensure fewer false negatives.

Throat swab. Swab the throat and the nose to better detect Omicron. The UK has actually recommended this method since May 2020 for many of its tests (see instructions below). Here is their YouTube video. Avoid swabbing your throat after eating/drinking anything acidic ó like coffee, soda, or fruit juices ó as this could produce a false positive. Also avoid brushing your teeth or using mouthwash before a throat swab too as this could lead to a false negative.

Line. Pay attention to the intensity of the positive line. If the line is very, very dark, this means you have a lot of virus and are infectious and a risk to your family and community. If the line is very faint, you could be in the beginning or the end of the contagious period. This is why itís important to have a second test 24 or 48 hours after seeing a faint line to see if youíre still positive. This will give you an idea of whether youíre in the beginning or the end. Below is a display of rapid antigen tests over 11 days from my dear colleague in the UK (before Omicron). You can see that the second red line (indicating a positive test) gets very dark and then lighter and lighter until the test is negative.

Retest. A single negative rapid test canít reliably rule out COVID-19, because it may be that you tested too early, and that the answer will change in a few hours, or a few days. If you think you probably have COVID, but the test was negative, and you need a definite answer, test again in 1-2 days (and isolate as a precaution).
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post: