Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-14-2022, 04:50 PM   #1681
Cowboy89
#1 Goaltender
 
Cowboy89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: NW Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Gross incompetence on the part of Gondek.

If she was getting bad advice from Cater, which appears to be the case, he needs to go.

Perhaps this royal fumble should also cost Gondek her job?
The handling of this whole thing reeks of campaign strategy logic to control the narrative rather than the actions of someone actually trying to get something done or save a deal.

Dec 21 - Deal is falling through and the primary thing the mayor is worried about is how to paint the narrative by taking it to twitter. Now this whole third party talk to explore the idea seems like a ploy to at least be able to say in 2025 when we go back to the polls that 'it's the Flames fault they are leaving town, we explored every avenue - vote Gondek!' rather than a sincere effort to get an arena built.
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Cowboy89 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2022, 05:07 PM   #1682
topfiverecords
Franchise Player
 
topfiverecords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Overreaction Arena
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Gross incompetence on the part of Gondek.

If she was getting bad advice from Cater, which appears to be the case, he needs to go.

Perhaps this royal fumble should also cost Gondek her job?
Lol, does Murray tell you what to write here directly?
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2022, 05:17 PM   #1683
djsFlames
Franchise Player
 
djsFlames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Where opinions are fact
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Lol, does Murray tell you what to write here directly?
God I hope we're not that much like the Oilers.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 05:19 PM   #1684
Goriders
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Exp:
Default

Save us from our government
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 05:26 PM   #1685
Goriders
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Exp:
Default

Speaks volumes that the other councillors made a point of making sure Gondek will be nowhere near any future negotiations.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Goriders For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2022, 05:30 PM   #1686
ComixZone
Franchise Player
 
ComixZone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
Save us from our government
We get the politicians we deserve.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2022, 05:36 PM   #1687
Goriders
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
We get the politicians we deserve.
Save us from ourselves
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 05:41 PM   #1688
topfiverecords
Franchise Player
 
topfiverecords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Overreaction Arena
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
Speaks volumes that the other councillors made a point of making sure Gondek will be nowhere near any future negotiations.
This is a riot! The mayor doesn't handle the negotiations anyways! City staff handles all negotiations.

Let's see the proof of this unanimous vote where all 14 council members voted yes to "Mayor Jyoti Gondek must no longer be involved in Event Centre negotiations in any capacity". That article is trash and doesn't even mention details of this in the article. Because it didn't actually happen. You guys seriously read these media headlines and take them as fact?

The article does include this:
ďNo mayor, including myself, has the ability to negotiate on behalf of council or the City of Calgary, and no mayor has the ability to terminate a deal,Ē Gondek said during the media scrum.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2022, 05:57 PM   #1689
powderjunkie
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Well, he for sure has his name on the commerce dept. school in the U of S (alma mater). Heís donated a fair bit in Calgary, Iíd say about the norm for high rolling businessmen here.
I know, and CNRL has tons of scholarships and stuff, too. It's just a sad/gross argument, and his philanthropy certainly doesn't seem to standout.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I donít like the idea of giving the Flames public money for the arena, and I voted for Gondek.

But reallyÖthem not having a meeting or even trying to extend the Dec 31 deadline is unbelievable to me. You get notice on Dec 21 that the deal has fallen through, and consider a meeting to discuss it, and somehow decide against that? Thatís just ridiculous. Itís a huge project for the city thatís been discussed for about a decade, and would be in use for the coming 2-3 decades. I canít see any rational reason to not even meet and get things on track.
What action is going to work in those 10 days (that is any different than what happened this week)?



Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
Speaks volumes that the other councillors made a point of making sure Gondek will be nowhere near any future negotiations.
Alternate headline: Council votes to generally keep things going with the same structure as they were before, while exploring possible alternatives in response to recent events.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 05:58 PM   #1690
DoubleK
Franchise Player
 
DoubleK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Calgary, AB
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post



Let's see the proof of this unanimous vote where all 14 council members voted yes to "Mayor Jyoti Gondek must no longer be involved in Event Centre negotiations in any capacity". That article is trash and doesn't even mention details of this in the article. Because it didn't actually happen. You guys seriously read these media headlines and take them as fact?
Do you think this is a complete fabrication?

The fact this was leaked to the media means the Mayor will have to answer it.

Way to ruin your term two months in.

This is a complete clown show no matter which side of the issue you are on. It's funny how the pendulum of blame has swung back and forth between CSEC and the City of Calgary.

Hopefully the adults get involved for Round 3 and something finally gets done.
__________________
It's only game. Why you heff to be mad?
DoubleK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 06:12 PM   #1691
Plett25
Scoring Winger
 
Plett25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: 780
Exp:
Default

I believe that CSEC didn't want to proceed right now anyway due to inflation and cost uncertainty. That's a totally reasonable position, and probably the right decision at the moment.

This whole kerfuffle seems to me to be a play by Edwards and CSEC to weaken Gondek and scare the public that Calgary will lose the Flames. All so they can get a better deal. A better deal might add another $100 million to the Flames' value.

If CSEC wanted to preserve the deal, they wouldn't have put Gondek in such a precarious situation. Sure you can argue that Gondek stepped in it, but if CSEC wanted the deal to go through, they could have and would have saved Gondek from herself.

It's a win-win for Edwards. Apply last minute pressure to a new Mayor and a council full of rookies to squeeze out some concessions. Or apply last minute pressure and blow up the deal over Gondek's pet projects, drop the mess in Gondek's lap and come back in a year and negotiate a better deal.

Why pause the deal for a year and resume the same deal when you can blow it up and try to negotiate a better deal?

Edwards is a negotiator. He knows what he's doing. He does this for a living. Getting the public riled up and blaming the Mayor is his play here. There's a lot of posters who have fallen for it.
Plett25 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Plett25 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2022, 06:19 PM   #1692
topfiverecords
Franchise Player
 
topfiverecords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Overreaction Arena
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Do you think this is a complete fabrication?

The fact this was leaked to the media means the Mayor will have to answer it.

Way to ruin your term two months in.

This is a complete clown show no matter which side of the issue you are on. It's funny how the pendulum of blame has swung back and forth between CSEC and the City of Calgary.

Hopefully the adults get involved for Round 3 and something finally gets done.
If it wasn't fabrication, should there be some proof, or at least actual mention of it in the article beyond the headline? You can clearly see that the Herald's headline writer is twisting "voted to enlist a third party to explore CSEC's future interest in re-engaging" into "voted to exclude Gondek".
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 06:27 PM   #1693
DoubleK
Franchise Player
 
DoubleK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Calgary, AB
Exp:
Default

So yes then.
__________________
It's only game. Why you heff to be mad?
DoubleK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 06:34 PM   #1694
Rejean31
Franchise Player
 
Rejean31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Central Alberta
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
I thought that little 'gem' was among the most repugnant parts of Corbella's blatant stoogery for the CSEC ownership group. The insinuation is "look, they've donated a bunch of money to other public facilities: we owe them one."
Clearly they have donated millions of dollars. They donít just put your name on a building for being a nice guy. Maybe we do owe them one!!
__________________
Food for thought: the Oilers last 3 years have been the worst statistical 3 year span in NHL history.
Rejean31 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rejean31 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2022, 06:35 PM   #1695
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!
 
Torture's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Exp:
Default

https://twitter.com/user/status/1482111085729570820


https://twitter.com/user/status/1482112219697463300

https://twitter.com/user/status/1482125964892983296


Last edited by Torture; 01-14-2022 at 06:41 PM.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2022, 06:37 PM   #1696
Rejean31
Franchise Player
 
Rejean31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Central Alberta
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
This is a riot! The mayor doesn't handle the negotiations anyways! City staff handles all negotiations.

Let's see the proof of this unanimous vote where all 14 council members voted yes to "Mayor Jyoti Gondek must no longer be involved in Event Centre negotiations in any capacity". That article is trash and doesn't even mention details of this in the article. Because it didn't actually happen. You guys seriously read these media headlines and take them as fact?

The article does include this:
ďNo mayor, including myself, has the ability to negotiate on behalf of council or the City of Calgary, and no mayor has the ability to terminate a deal,Ē Gondek said during the media scrum.
Are you Jyotiís lap dog?
__________________
Food for thought: the Oilers last 3 years have been the worst statistical 3 year span in NHL history.
Rejean31 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rejean31 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2022, 06:38 PM   #1697
kermitology
It's not easy being green!
 
kermitology's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: In the tubes to Vancouver Island
Exp:
Default

Corbella shouldn't be relied upon to provide any fact-based reporting on this matter:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1482031287141421058
https://twitter.com/user/status/1482125964892983296

Meanwhile Sean Chu is getting all of his information on this matter from her only it seems based on his comments/questions in council.

I've also seen Freeway (Ryan Pike) get called a city shill for trying to just report on the actual facts of this matter.

I'm honestly shocked that so many people are just falling for the trap of this opinion piece.

People are assuming that an emergency council meeting would have changed anything from the city's perspective. It wouldn't have. This was CSEC's decision that they made ending the agreement trying to blame it on green initiatives and sidewalks when it was the rising costs. The lack of honesty from CSEC is infuriating.
__________________
Who are the people in charge of this product and why haven't they been fired?
kermitology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 06:55 PM   #1698
timun
Scoring Winger
 
Join Date: May 2012
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Vic Park is massively improved from the crackhouse days.

Arriva
Guardian x2
Keynote x3
Vetro
Sasso
Alura
Nuero

= 10 big condo towers and a bunch of smaller buildings and street level commercial, etc. Of course, Stampede wasn't the developer, but it's hard to argue they didn't play a big role in cleaning up the area and making it more attractive for development.
One of the Keynote towers is commercial, FYI.

I think your point here is actually quite far off the mark. I wouldn't say that Vic Park, or at least the parts of Vic Park close to the Stampede grounds, are significantly improved from "the crackhouse days". It's just a sea of parking lots, interrupted by a single, solitary block with three condo towers on it.

Being close to the Stampede grounds is no great benefit that spurred the development of Keynote, Vetro, Sasso, Alura and Nuera: it would have happened anyway. They don't interface whatsoever with the Stampede grounds. In fact those buildings have their backs turned to the Stampede grounds; everything about their design is oriented away from the Stampede grounds. The Stampede/Saddledome have had no positive influence on their development whatsoever.

Arriva and the Guardian towers I would credit more to the improvements CMLC made to the area by building the 4th St SE underpass, better tying the area into the East Village. If not for that project being on the books I doubt those three condos would have gone up.


The way Vic Park east of Macleod and north of 14th Ave was hollowed out into an urban wasteland of asphalt is proof positive that "event centres" do precisely jack #### to spur development. The idea that a new arena was going to magically make this the hip place to go and live is non-sense; the entire premise is bunk.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2022, 06:58 PM   #1699
timun
Scoring Winger
 
Join Date: May 2012
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rejean31 View Post
Clearly they have donated millions of dollars. They donít just put your name on a building for being a nice guy. Maybe we do owe them one!!
Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, but no, we don't owe any of them a penny.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 07:10 PM   #1700
DoubleK
Franchise Player
 
DoubleK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Calgary, AB
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post

I've also seen Freeway (Ryan Pike) get called a city shill for trying to just report on the actual facts of this matter.
Seriously?

If he's a shill for anyone it sure as hell isn't the city.
__________________
It's only game. Why you heff to be mad?
DoubleK is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
e=ng , edmonton is no good

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:08 AM.

Calgary Flames
2021-22




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2021