Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2021, 04:55 PM   #701
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan! View Post
Also a woman of color.. If the mayor was some white dude nobody would even mention this leftist BS.

Same in Arizona, it's always the conservative groups who oppose this stuff see: Goldwater Institute
This is so tiresome. Please. People are allowed to take issue with a mayor's decisions regardless of their race or genitalia. Oh you found one idiot on twitter who made a cricket joke? Congrats, yeah, there's racist idiots around. Doesn't invalidate the vast of majority of people who don't like it when a mayor sewers a done deal that would add to the quality of life in this city with BS extra charges that just so happen to fit with their pre-existing dogmatism, no matter what they look like.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to DiracSpike For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2021, 04:57 PM   #702
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Well that was a fun read ... not.

Hate commenting until I've read everything for fear of repeating what's already been said.

So I'll keep it to this ...

Will never cease to amaze me how people pick 100% one side or extremes in something that has so many angles to it.

Additionally amazed how people can read the same information and only see what seems to support their side.
Bingo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 04:59 PM   #703
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

this whole thing has made me even more convinced that Calgary's identity should not be tied to the Flames. that's Edmonton stuff right there, and you never go full Edmonton.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 05:00 PM   #704
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
I can't imagine the amount of garbage Gondek is getting sent her way on the various social media platforms right now. It's probably appalling. Especially since she likely had very little impact on how this came to be and is willing to find additional funding to keep the deal alive.

This thread is such a great example of people only wanting to hear their side, despite people contributing valid and helpful information to the discussion.
This sunk on her watch.

So far everything she’s been involved in or spear headed has blown up in her face and failed.

Sometimes it’s ok to tell people they doing a bad job.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 05:08 PM   #705
Don Benji
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
I just scanned Twitter searching for the term "Gondek" and within 15s found a tweet in which some racist dillhole claimed that her agenda was to replace hockey in Calgary with cricket. I can 100% guarantee you that a hypothetical Mayor Carra would not have had a comment like that directed at him.
Good for you. That has nothing to do with what I said.
I have no doubt you found racist garbage after searching her name on Twitter.

I thought my point was clear that right wing people will be critical of a left wing mayor regardless of race or gender. Claiming that it wouldn't happen to a "white dude" is pure BS.
Don Benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 05:23 PM   #706
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can’t wait for Notley to get re-elected. She’ll probably ask that the current arena be torn down due to the climate emergency. Flames will play out of the Crescent Heights out door rink until further notice.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 05:25 PM   #707
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

The hot takes are getting pretty wild in here.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2021, 05:26 PM   #708
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t think the issue with Gondek is race or gender based.

It’s competance. She’s in over her head and all Calgarians are going to suffer for it.

Like most organizations with poor leadership. They eventually fail.
The Following User Says Thank You to Goriders For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2021, 05:29 PM   #709
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
So watching the full CSEC press conference, there was a question from Meghan Potkins (Postmedia) regarding this November 18 meeting. A paraphrase of the response was "CPC is a forum for development approvals matters, not for who is responsible for those costs. This would not have been discussed at that meeting."

Which to be fair, is correct. Who pays what is a commercial matter, of which CPC has no relevance to. Still, people on both sides should have seen these costs coming at that point....
Correct. But if the (climate) requirement doesn’t exist, then the cost doesn’t exist. They not only supported it, but as the councillors said, they boasted about supporting. Even so, the Mayor offered to find funding.

With respect to sidewalks, they are clearly squarely in project scope - to the curb. As such additional unanticipated cost estimates are the project’s.

Of the $12m, the City has offered $6.4m because those are unanticipated costs happening outside the curb line in the road itself.

But even saying all that, CSEC cited this as ONE of the reasons, not the only reason. The main one (the 3rd point on their statement) being overall cost escalation, and uncertainty. So while everyone is trying to cast blame on the City, the City doesn't control material prices or supply chain problems.
Old 12-22-2021, 05:36 PM   #710
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

If nothing else, it’s funny watching people who play fiscal conservative in other threads wagging their finger and having a fit over Gondek not spending even more taxpayer money, even though it’s been explained by smarter people in the know how she played no part in the dissolution or the problems that caused it.

“It’s not her race or sex! Promise!” well, if nothing else, it’s what you perceive her political alignment to be, because there’s no actual basis for the criticisms… and yet they continue.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2021, 05:42 PM   #711
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Murray Edwards himself was a regular donor to the Liberal Party when he lived in Canada. If anything, the "leftist" in this situation is the majority owner who wants public funding.
We need to stop with analogies on this thread. My god
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cappy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2021, 05:43 PM   #712
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m sure the Flames owners see the price escalation coming due to the devaluation of the Canadian dollar an subsequent inflation thanks to the endless printing at the bank of canada.

They probably have to eat all of that as I’m guessing the cities input is fixed.

So look for an out you can blame on Gondek. Either you get out of the deal. Or she caves and you get a new deal. In the new deal tax payers eat the cost. So win win for them.

Devaluation of the canadian dollar is going to effect a lot of things. Less shiny things for the masses due to economics. Economics don’t care about spin doctors or climate emergencies.

Last edited by Goriders; 12-22-2021 at 06:03 PM.
Old 12-22-2021, 05:49 PM   #713
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
I don’t think the issue with Gondek is race or gender based.

It’s competance. She’s in over her head and all Calgarians are going to suffer for it.

Like most organizations with poor leadership. They eventually fail.

While there are no doubt plenty of people who will have issues with Gondek over just her policies and nothing else, it is also sadly true that many people will have an issue with her due to being a woman of colour.

This plays out that way every single time, and if you don't think that's at least partially at work, you're very naive.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 05:49 PM   #714
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
If nothing else, it’s funny watching people who play fiscal conservative in other threads wagging their finger and having a fit over Gondek not spending even more taxpayer money, even though it’s been explained by smarter people in the know how she played no part in the dissolution or the problems that caused it.

“It’s not her race or sex! Promise!” well, if nothing else, it’s what you perceive her political alignment to be, because there’s no actual basis for the criticisms… and yet they continue.
Might have something to do with a fake made up expense though

"Climate mitigation"
Old 12-22-2021, 05:54 PM   #715
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
The hot takes are getting pretty wild in here.
Can’t touch a take when it’s…red hot!
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 06:03 PM   #716
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
While there are no doubt plenty of people who will have issues with Gondek over just her policies and nothing else, it is also sadly true that many people will have an issue with her due to being a woman of colour.

This plays out that way every single time, and if you don't think that's at least partially at work, you're very naive.
Speaking for myself. I just think she’s an idiot. She could be a purple giraffe and I’d feel the same.
Old 12-22-2021, 06:04 PM   #717
Ferarri
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

At this point, what would ultimately “save” the deal? I’m still not clear as a fan and a taxpayer regarding what each side wants. Let’s say for argument sake, both sides agree to share these costs 50/50. From the comments it seems like there is a lot more to this (I’ll admit I haven’t read the entire thread).

Not good having two players with giant egos (Gondek and Edwards). People on this forum, myself included, are extremely passionate about this team and want them to be an integral part of the Calgary landscape. So what’s it going to take…sick of the finger pointing and blame game. Let’s get some real solutions and go from there (yes, much easier said than done)
Ferarri is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ferarri For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2021, 06:04 PM   #718
Steve Macfarlane
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Well that was a fun read ... not.

Hate commenting until I've read everything for fear of repeating what's already been said.

So I'll keep it to this ...

Will never cease to amaze me how people pick 100% one side or extremes in something that has so many angles to it.

Additionally amazed how people can read the same information and only see what seems to support their side.
Well said. Seems like the ball is really in the Flames court and they're drawing the line here again. There may be way more to it just based on income and pandemic effect. I posted a story with a couple quotes from both sides but I also got a warning about self promotion here ... so I guess check it out if you like. =) (I'm not certain what I'm allowed to do).
Steve Macfarlane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Macfarlane For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2021, 06:04 PM   #719
Scary Eloranta
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Thread should be changed to Event Center is Dead.

So whatever happened to real leadership? We have each side acting like six year olds. It’s ALL the other sides fault. Couldn’t have said we have some issues but we’re going to see if we can work them out? We have to get punched in the face with is BS right before Christmas? What a complete farce.

Even worse for when you have relatives coming from edm for six days of hell and get to listen to how inferior cowtown is. Not sure I can even argue that anymore. Ughh, there’s just not enough booze for this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scary Eloranta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 06:04 PM   #720
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Might have something to do with a fake made up expense though

"Climate mitigation"
The real expense that CSEC agreed to and boasted about being on board with? The expense that predates Gondek? The expense she has repeatedly offered to seek funding for through the provincial and federal government?

Yeah, sure. I bet that’s it. You’ve cracked the case!
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:

Tags
e=ng , edmonton is no good