Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-14-2022, 07:18 PM   #1701
powderjunkie
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Do you think this is a complete fabrication?

The fact this was leaked to the media means the Mayor will have to answer it.

Way to ruin your term two months in.

This is a complete clown show no matter which side of the issue you are on. It's funny how the pendulum of blame has swung back and forth between CSEC and the City of Calgary.

Hopefully the adults get involved for Round 3 and something finally gets done.

Please look into Corbellaís history as a shill, and then look up the difference between a column and a news article.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2022, 07:25 PM   #1702
topfiverecords
Franchise Player
 
topfiverecords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Overreaction Arena
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rejean31 View Post
Are you Jyotiís lap dog?
Last I checked Iím human and not a dog.

None of the comments in posts against her are based in comprehension of all of the facts. They just come off as Rick Bell wannabes.

Rabble rabble City Hall rabble rabble. Fake news debunked, but ignored. Resume rabble rabble.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2022, 07:26 PM   #1703
Wormius
Franchise Player
 
Wormius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Somewhere down the crazy river.
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rejean31 View Post
Clearly they have donated millions of dollars. They donít just put your name on a building for being a nice guy. Maybe we do owe them one!!

Thatís nice and all, but if I donate $200 to the library, I donít ask Mustard Seed for $600 back later.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 07:37 PM   #1704
DoubleK
Franchise Player
 
DoubleK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Calgary, AB
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Please look into Corbellaís history as a shill, and then look up the difference between a column and a news article.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Please try not to be a condescending jerk.
__________________
It's only game. Why you heff to be mad?
DoubleK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 07:40 PM   #1705
zamler
Franchise Player
 
zamler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Exp:
Default

This thread is just like the CSEC/City negotiations one giant pissing contest.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2022, 07:45 PM   #1706
topfiverecords
Franchise Player
 
topfiverecords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Overreaction Arena
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Please try not to be a condescending jerk.
Says the person who called all involved on this project to date, children.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 07:47 PM   #1707
DoubleK
Franchise Player
 
DoubleK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Calgary, AB
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Says the person who called all involved on this project to date, children.
Wow, you got me there.

Maybe just block me then. I'll do the same.
__________________
It's only game. Why you heff to be mad?
DoubleK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 07:57 PM   #1708
topfiverecords
Franchise Player
 
topfiverecords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Overreaction Arena
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Wow, you got me there.

Maybe just block me then. I'll do the same.
If thatís what youíre into. Iím actually surprised Iím not blocked by everyone already.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 08:11 PM   #1709
Goriders
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
One of the Keynote towers is commercial, FYI.

I think your point here is actually quite far off the mark. I wouldn't say that Vic Park, or at least the parts of Vic Park close to the Stampede grounds, are significantly improved from "the crackhouse days". It's just a sea of parking lots, interrupted by a single, solitary block with three condo towers on it.

Being close to the Stampede grounds is no great benefit that spurred the development of Keynote, Vetro, Sasso, Alura and Nuera: it would have happened anyway. They don't interface whatsoever with the Stampede grounds. In fact those buildings have their backs turned to the Stampede grounds; everything about their design is oriented away from the Stampede grounds. The Stampede/Saddledome have had no positive influence on their development whatsoever.

Arriva and the Guardian towers I would credit more to the improvements CMLC made to the area by building the 4th St SE underpass, better tying the area into the East Village. If not for that project being on the books I doubt those three condos would have gone up.


The way Vic Park east of Macleod and north of 14th Ave was hollowed out into an urban wasteland of asphalt is proof positive that "event centres" do precisely jack #### to spur development. The idea that a new arena was going to magically make this the hip place to go and live is non-sense; the entire premise is bunk.
They should tear the condos down and rebuild the crack houses.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 08:11 PM   #1710
Goriders
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
If thatís what youíre into. Iím actually surprised Iím not blocked by everyone already.
I am too
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 09:45 PM   #1711
kermitology
It's not easy being green!
 
kermitology's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: In the tubes to Vancouver Island
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Seriously?

If he's a shill for anyone it sure as hell isn't the city.

Just check out the comments here: https://flamesnation.ca/2022/01/13/c...ild-a-new-one/
__________________
Who are the people in charge of this product and why haven't they been fired?
kermitology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 09:56 PM   #1712
Slava
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
Corbella shouldn't be relied upon to provide any fact-based reporting on this matter:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1482031287141421058
https://twitter.com/user/status/1482125964892983296

Meanwhile Sean Chu is getting all of his information on this matter from her only it seems based on his comments/questions in council.

I've also seen Freeway (Ryan Pike) get called a city shill for trying to just report on the actual facts of this matter.

I'm honestly shocked that so many people are just falling for the trap of this opinion piece.

People are assuming that an emergency council meeting would have changed anything from the city's perspective. It wouldn't have. This was CSEC's decision that they made ending the agreement trying to blame it on green initiatives and sidewalks when it was the rising costs. The lack of honesty from CSEC is infuriating.
I donít know how you figure a meeting wouldnít have changed anything. Here we are less than two weeks later trying to get people back to the table. Surely that type of approach couldíve been started in December?

Itís crazy to me that that attitude from the city in response to the deal failing wasnít reconciliation and trying to move forward. Itís a huge project for the city, and when some councillors wanted to meet and have a discussion the mayor basically brushes it off, and people are good with that?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2022, 10:19 PM   #1713
powderjunkie
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Please try not to be a condescending jerk.
So no then? (You don't know the difference between a news article and column?)

Am I doing this right?



Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
One of the Keynote towers is commercial, FYI.

I think your point here is actually quite far off the mark. I wouldn't say that Vic Park, or at least the parts of Vic Park close to the Stampede grounds, are significantly improved from "the crackhouse days". It's just a sea of parking lots, interrupted by a single, solitary block with three condo towers on it.

Being close to the Stampede grounds is no great benefit that spurred the development of Keynote, Vetro, Sasso, Alura and Nuera: it would have happened anyway. They don't interface whatsoever with the Stampede grounds. In fact those buildings have their backs turned to the Stampede grounds; everything about their design is oriented away from the Stampede grounds. The Stampede/Saddledome have had no positive influence on their development whatsoever.

Arriva and the Guardian towers I would credit more to the improvements CMLC made to the area by building the 4th St SE underpass, better tying the area into the East Village. If not for that project being on the books I doubt those three condos would have gone up.


The way Vic Park east of Macleod and north of 14th Ave was hollowed out into an urban wasteland of asphalt is proof positive that "event centres" do precisely jack #### to spur development. The idea that a new arena was going to magically make this the hip place to go and live is non-sense; the entire premise is bunk.

I think we're actually pretty close to agreement. My post was in response to a claim that Vic Park is a redevelopment failure...

It's quite natural that VP would develop from the core-side outwards, and of course they tend to face west.

I agree that big buildings do very little to catalyze development. My only argument is that parking lots (pretty nice ones at that) are better than crackhouses.

And the brick facade bigger BMO Centre + casino is better than the grey box Round Up Centre + ugly parking lots that preceded them
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 02:43 AM   #1714
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Calgary, Canada
Exp:
Default

Listen, let's cut the BS here and understand that this is going to be a very very strong negotiation and the city needs to be on it's A game and we can't have rookies making the calls here. We need strong representation here because the Calgary Flames ownership group is brining their A game and they know business.

They made a very risky move by getting rid of CMLC for this deal and have now managed to exit this and put the risk back onto taxpayers and the city.

The Mayor and council are being completely dishonest pieces of garbage by indicating it's to early to say if this is going to cost taxpayers more than the original deal. We already know it will cost ten's of millions more, end of story. You can't so much as buy a loaf of bread in this environment and not know your getting ****ed by inflation, let alone building a massive, complex structure.

The city better extract some additional item's as a result of this new deal in exchange for additional cash contribution from the city. To all the progressives on council and in the mayor office, this is their opportunity to assist and help the little guy and girl as much as possible.

I hate to say it but most of the people on council and in the Mayor's office have some pretty low grade overall business and lackluster resumes overall. The people who are in the position like Murray Edwards are the type of people who are of vastly higher intellect and can actually out perform in business. They see things at a different level than "normal" people and are usually on the inside track by sure financial and political capital.

As soon as the Flames and Oilers ownership groups announced in August that effective September 15th, their facilities and businesses would require proof of vaccination in order to attend, I knew Alberta was getting a Vax Passport. Government MLA and Jason Kenney was feeding the common Albertan a bunch of BS but behind the scenes the big dogs were making plans for their multi billion dollar businesses that generate hundreds of million in revenue.

Low and behold, in the middle of September Kenney dropped the bomb about the Vax Passport as some urgent last minute system that needed to be enacted.

I will repeat that the city needs to be able to get some additional wins in exchange for the additional boatload of cash we are going to be sending the wealthiest people in Canada. It can't just be the little guy always on the losing end of things.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 03:16 AM   #1715
Jacks
Franchise Player
 
Jacks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
As soon as the Flames and Oilers ownership groups announced in August that effective September 15th, their facilities and businesses would require proof of vaccination in order to attend, I knew Alberta was getting a Vax Passport. Government MLA and Jason Kenney was feeding the common Albertan a bunch of BS but behind the scenes the big dogs were making plans for their multi billion dollar businesses that generate hundreds of million in revenue.

Low and behold, in the middle of September Kenney dropped the bomb about the Vax Passport as some urgent last minute system that needed to be enacted.
Not sure what Covid restrictions have to do with arena negotiations.

Also, are you trying to say that Flames and Oilers ownership told Kenney to put in restrictions on attendance? and that somehow that was going to generate hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue?

Is this a disguised vaccine rant?
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jacks For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2022, 07:43 AM   #1716
powderjunkie
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
Not sure what Covid restrictions have to do with arena negotiations.

Also, are you trying to say that Flames and Oilers ownership told Kenney to put in restrictions on attendance? and that somehow that was going to generate hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue?

Is this a disguised vaccine rant?
Don't you see? This guy is just operating a different level than us "normal" people. He's connected all the dots.

powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 08:22 AM   #1717
SebC
tromboner
 
SebC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: where the lattes are
Exp:
Default

Pretty sure they're just saying the Flames owners predicted or had an inside scoop that a vaccine passport was coming so took actions to mitigate it. Which might be evidence that the Flames got an inside scoop, or it could just mean that the looked at rising hospitalizations and knew that action would be necessary.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 09:39 AM   #1718
Barnet Flame
#1 Goaltender
 
Barnet Flame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Barnet - North London
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
A while back I looked through EDM and CGY event calendars for 2018:

CGY missed out on:

Old Dominion
Avenged Sevenfold
Brantley Gilbert
Jeff Dunham
Shania Twain (2 nights)
Paul McCartney
Drake (2 nights)


We got and they didn't (unless it was at a different venue in EDM):
Ellen Degeneres
Stars on Ice
Brad Paisley (Stampede)
Luke Bryan (Stampede)
UFC
Cirque Wonderland
Fleetwood Mac? (I know they've postponed show(s) in the last few years due to illness, not sure if this one happened or was a re-schedule)


It certainly skews in EDM's favour, but not by that much. Even if/when we do get a strong-roofed arena, there is no guarantee we get every big show that comes through EDM. The balance probably comes a lot closer, but there will still be shows that only do one city or the other.

That is a grim list of acts.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 09:51 AM   #1719
RM14
First Line Centre
 
RM14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

City planning is more concerned on 5 to 10 years from now. Comparing what happed is useless.

Edmonton probably benefits with more shows if Calgary can too as it is more attractive for big tours to come to Alberta if both cities can support modern entertainment.
RM14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 10:00 AM   #1720
MegaErtz
Crash and Bang Winger
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Exp:
Default

I'd like to see a mandatory minimum number of months that any deal would be subject to public review before it is voted on. That snake Davison managed to sneak through a deal in less than a week with no public consultation whatsoever in the middle of summer 2019.
MegaErtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
e=ng , edmonton is no good

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:44 AM.

Calgary Flames
2021-22




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2021