Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: When will the ring road be completed?
1-3 years 8 3.85%
4-7 years 91 43.75%
7-10 years 65 31.25%
10-20 years 20 9.62%
Never 24 11.54%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-11-2018, 06:18 PM   #3021
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
Not really ring road related, but since the people that seem to know stuff like this will likely read here, does anyone know how long the construction at 68th st. NE is going to last? It used to connect Country Hills Blvd and 96 ave, but they're doing some undergrounds there, and it looks like it'll be awhile. In fact, the sign says 68th st. is closed (instead of temporarily closed), so I'm not sure what to think. It's a disruption to a route I take often and I'm hoping it eventually connects again.
I live in the area and got a notice that it was going to be closed from Date X to Date Y. I can't remember the dates, unfortunately, because I don't usually use that road. The closing did begin several weeks after it was scheduled, so whatever the date is, I believe they are behind. The notice did say it was going to re-open again though, so it should at some point.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Amethyst For This Useful Post:
4X4
Old 01-11-2018, 06:35 PM   #3022
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I live in the area and got a notice that it was going to be closed from Date X to Date Y. I can't remember the dates, unfortunately, because I don't usually use that road. The closing did begin several weeks after it was scheduled, so whatever the date is, I believe they are behind. The notice did say it was going to re-open again though, so it should at some point.
Thanks for the info. Do you have any recollection of roughly how long? 6 months? A year?
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 07:46 PM   #3023
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Do you have any recollection of roughly how long? 6 months? A year?
At some point, that will be permanently closed, when 60th Street continues through. As for timeline now, I have no idea.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:08 PM   #3024
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I think if was a matter of months - less than a year.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Amethyst For This Useful Post:
4X4
Old 01-11-2018, 11:53 PM   #3025
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
At some point, that will be permanently closed, when 60th Street continues through. As for timeline now, I have no idea.

If 60th would begin to exist, the lack of 68th wouldn't be as annoying. With neither, it's either Metis or Stoney.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 02:43 AM   #3026
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Final leg is a go.

Quote:
Premier Rachel Notley and Transportation Minister Brian Mason will announce that the province is going ahead with construction of the west — and final — leg of the ring road in Calgary at an event on Thursday with Mayor Naheed Nenshi, according to a source.
https://calgaryherald.com/news/polit...gary-ring-road
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2018, 08:17 AM   #3027
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

If true this will really make me happy as it will make a huge difference to my daily commute. They also better not half ass it with lights and go full build out right from the start with interchanges and all that.

Anxious to see if this pans out, fingers crossed. Another 5 years of construction zones but it's been 21 consecutive years now so what's a few more.
Lubicon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 08:23 AM   #3028
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought they were already constructing it down by grey eagle?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 08:32 AM   #3029
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
If true this will really make me happy as it will make a huge difference to my daily commute. They also better not half ass it with lights and go full build out right from the start with interchanges and all that.

Anxious to see if this pans out, fingers crossed. Another 5 years of construction zones but it's been 21 consecutive years now so what's a few more.
I don't think that half-assing it would even work. Just my personal opinion, but with the volumes that will be taking it nearly from day one, anything less than free-flowing would be an instant gong show.

I'll give the province (both current and previous) credit with Stoney - aside from the oldest section in the NW, they've realized that it needs to be done right. Not perfect, but a big improvement over the days where Deerfoot had traffic lights in the deep south!

Sure, they've left some future interchanges (14 Street NW for one), added or changed a configuration here and there, but there aren't any lights or interruptions. The road should be able to evolve in the future, without really impacting traffic (at least at peak times).

Having said that, just watch them mess up the final link!
Jimmy Stang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 08:33 AM   #3030
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
That is what is being called the SW leg. Basically from McLeod to Glenmore. It had to be started first to satisfy the agreement made with the Tsuu Tina.

The west leg is from Glenmore to Highway 1 in the west.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2018, 08:36 AM   #3031
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Glenmore is currently having some widening and improvements in that area, but I believe that's a city project in anticipation of the ring road coming through. And, of course, anything happening on Tsuu T'ina land is part of the SW section, which is already underway.
Jimmy Stang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 08:44 AM   #3032
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ring road was a great idea for the city and it has helped a lot.

Its just annoying how it's narrowed to two lanes in some spots causing backups in the morning and afternoons.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 08:49 AM   #3033
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

It will be a glorious day when the SW RR is operating in full swing.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2018, 08:54 AM   #3034
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
It will be a glorious day when the SW RR is operating in full swing.
Fixed that for me.
Old 07-05-2018, 08:59 AM   #3035
Envitro
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post

Its just annoying how it's narrowed to two lanes in some spots causing backups in the morning and afternoons.
I will never understand the unnatural choke points that we put into our roadways. It's like they don't plan for more than 2 years out.
Envitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:00 AM   #3036
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post

Stoney is a gong show from Peigan to Country Hills every afternoon
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:14 AM   #3037
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envitro View Post
I will never understand the unnatural choke points that we put into our roadways. It's like they don't plan for more than 2 years out.
It's funny because in this case they actually DID plan ahead...but they didn't act on their planning for some reason. When they built the Northeast portion of the ring road, they did all sorts of work to make adding an extra lane to both directions of Stoney quick and painless. Since the timing of the Southeast portion was undetermined when they were building, it didn't make sense to do it all right away.

Theoretically, the opening of SE Stoney would have triggered the widening on NE Stoney, but that never happened. The grading for the extra lane is there, it just needs to be stripped and paved!
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:16 AM   #3038
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

NW Stoney was initially constructed two lanes (each direction) with the contract stipulating additional lanes to be added as traffic levels were reached. this happened much sooner than anticipated I think and they added a third lane within a year or two of opening. I assume similar scope exists in the contracts for NE Stoney and SE Stoney so wonder why this has not occurred yet.

As mentioned by others they have actually done a great job for the most part in prepping up front for additional work down the road so when it comes time to add lanes, interchanges etc. the process is very quick and relatively simple.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:31 AM   #3039
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Happy to hear the final leg is gonna start construction.

And adding to the echo, the NE portion badly needs to have the third lanes added. It can't handle rush hour traffic.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:35 AM   #3040
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
NW Stoney was initially constructed two lanes (each direction) with the contract stipulating additional lanes to be added as traffic levels were reached. this happened much sooner than anticipated I think and they added a third lane within a year or two of opening. I assume similar scope exists in the contracts for NE Stoney and SE Stoney so wonder why this has not occurred yet.

As mentioned by others they have actually done a great job for the most part in prepping up front for additional work down the road so when it comes time to add lanes, interchanges etc. the process is very quick and relatively simple.

What I want to know is why they built the new Peigan extension from 52 ST to Stoney as a 2 lane road, even though it widens to dual lanes at 52 ST and again at the Stoney interchange. It's results in some really stupid bottlenecks at rush hour, and there's tons of space to widen the road to 4 lanes. It seems there was zero future planning involved with that construction

Also the Glenmore-Stoney interchange is ridiculous, sticking northbound traffic from Glenmore into a single turn lane with a light. Why could they not follow the Peigan interchange a few miles up which flows way better?
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post: