Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2022, 08:29 PM   #1
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Built-in Oven

Anyone go through the fix or replace decision with a built in oven lately? We have a 10 year old kitchen aid that seems to have lost its brains and won’t stick at any temperature above 300. Looks like a replacement is $2700 and I’m not sure it’s worth paying a service call is worth it being that it is 10 years old.

Any recommendations on brands to avoid?
bagofpucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 08:45 PM   #2
Fobby
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Only logical choice is a new combi oven. If you want to swing for the fence. a Miele
Fobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 07:48 AM   #3
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

no direct advice, other than it is always painful making a decision on weatehr to repair or replace.

Our microwave recently quit working and it will be our 4th microwave in ~20yrs if we replace it. I am going to call and see how much a diagnosis is. However, with the supply chain the way it is, i am not optimistic i can get parts, although from what I have seen at Home Depot a replacement unit may not be available for a month or longer.
Old 05-03-2022, 07:54 AM   #4
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure if this is your model or not, but you could Google a bit to find it. This repair looks to take at least 30 minutes, but I'd budget an hour(probably a minimum charge anyway). Look up the part price, and you can have a quick estimate of what a repair would cost(or DIY if you are into it).
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 09:55 AM   #5
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
no direct advice, other than it is always painful making a decision on weatehr to repair or replace.

Our microwave recently quit working and it will be our 4th microwave in ~20yrs if we replace it. I am going to call and see how much a diagnosis is. However, with the supply chain the way it is, i am not optimistic i can get parts, although from what I have seen at Home Depot a replacement unit may not be available for a month or longer.
Best bet is to post on social media.
I find that a lot of people seem to have an extra microwave or two that they'd love to get rid of. It seems the damn things usually last forever.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 11:16 AM   #6
homestand
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
Best bet is to post on social media.
I find that a lot of people seem to have an extra microwave or two that they'd love to get rid of. It seems the damn things usually last forever.

First thing I would do is check the fuse.
homestand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 01:19 PM   #7
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Well, after some more trouble shooting it was clear the oven was dead and a service call would be $150. Did some research and it seems like Miele is the best bang for buck for what I’m looking for and thankfully the one I want is in stock. I certainly had no clue of all the fancy features that are available on these things now! Hopefully, we should be all sorted out in a week or so and get 15-20 years out of the new one!
Old 05-14-2022, 01:34 PM   #8
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

All appliances are #### these days. My 25 year old KitchenAid garage fridge has outlasted two modern rather high end modern fridges. The government should mandate a minimum 20 year warranty on new appliances, and force manufacturers to make better products.
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 8 Ball For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2022, 02:27 PM   #9
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post

Not sure if this is your model or not, but you could Google a bit to find it. This repair looks to take at least 30 minutes, but I'd budget an hour(probably a minimum charge anyway). Look up the part price, and you can have a quick estimate of what a repair would cost(or DIY if you are into it).
Crap, that looks exactly like the KitchenAid model of ours that we ended up replacing a year ago ... because it wouldn't get up to temperature.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 01:14 PM   #10
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Maybe because I’m cheap or something, but I can’t imagine ever defaulting to replacement on an otherwise perfectly good high end appliance. Fix it, it’s just a machine.
Old 05-16-2022, 01:27 PM   #11
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Maybe because I’m cheap or something, but I can’t imagine ever defaulting to replacement on an otherwise perfectly good high end appliance. Fix it, it’s just a machine.
Easier said than done. When our KitchenAid refrigerator went, we called in a repair guy who diagnosed it as the jazz board, and then confirmed that the replacement part number was discontinued and short of finding it in some obscure corner of the internet, we were SOL and buying a new one was the only answer.

When it comes to physical / mechanical components that need replacing, you might be able to replace an element, or a motor, a seal, whatever. When it comes to the electronic components, it's a whole different game.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 01:53 PM   #12
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I have a Samsung chef collection induction range and 2 of the 4 burners stopped working. 5 years old. Phoned the place I bought it and they said fixing would cost more than replacing. Disposable world. As much as I like the induction I'm going gas next as it seems more mechanical and fixable.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 04:13 PM   #13
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

For our oven, my very non-expert research indicated it was either the control panel which would be close to $1K to replace if the part could be easily sourced or a sensor which would be much cheaper. The oven is 11 years old. I wasn’t willing to sink more money into an appliance that is very likely close to end of life.
Old 05-16-2022, 05:50 PM   #14
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagofpucks View Post
For our oven, my very non-expert research indicated it was either the control panel which would be close to $1K to replace if the part could be easily sourced or a sensor which would be much cheaper. The oven is 11 years old. I wasn’t willing to sink more money into an appliance that is very likely close to end of life.
Under similar situations I've just bought the cheaper part and installed it as an experiment. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote