Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2021, 12:57 PM   #41
Steve Bozek
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The Oilers were brought into the NHL before the Flames were moved here, and there was a push to consider them the Alberta Oilers. So from the beginning, the Flames had to convert Albertans from their Oiler delusions, and a lot of Albertans outside Calgary remained Greasers.
Steve Bozek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 12:57 PM   #42
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if it's 70-30 in favor of Oilers fans in the province. I would say it's probably 50-50 in southern alberta but northern Alberta 80% Oilers fans. Even in Calgary you don't see nearly the Flames flags or people wearing Flames merchandise compared to Edmonton.
I think you are hitting on both fandom and fanaticism. I agree province wide there are more Oilers fans- I think they are also more likely (even per capita) to be vocal/obvious about their fandom so this accentuates the difference- the Ferrari, the McDavid paintings etc etc
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 12:58 PM   #43
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob View Post
I think you are hitting on both fandom and fanaticism. I agree province wide there are more Oilers fans- I think they are also more likely (even per capita) to be vocal/obvious about their fandom so this accentuates the difference- the Ferrari, the McDavid paintings etc etc
To be fair if you're an Oiler fan you literally have nothing else going on.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2021, 01:00 PM   #44
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob View Post
I grew up in Southern Alberta which you would think would be Flames territory and in my experience it would be lucky if it was a 50-50 split. The Oilers massive early success snowballed into a lot of Albertans choosing them over the Flames.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 01:06 PM   #45
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey008 View Post
Someone pointed it out to me, and after that I've started to notice more and more Oiler plates
What part of town do you frequent?

Flames plates definitely dominate the SW (I'd also reckon many season tickets holders around here).
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 01:15 PM   #46
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I grew up (just outside) in Red Deer, and you would think it was about 50/50 there but it was more like 80% Oilers and 20% flames.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 01:17 PM   #47
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oilers own anything north of Edmonton, Flames probably dominate south of Calgary. Generally speaking the dividing line is probably Red Deer. Sask seems to lean Oilers and I don't know where the dividing line in BC is, when it switches to Canucks loyalty but would hazard a guess that NE BC is pretty strong for the Oilers.

Calgary has more Oiler fans than Edmonton has Flames fans as more people have moved to Calgary from Edmonton than the other way around. Both Alberta cities suffer from imported fans due to strong in-province migration as witnessed by Leafs and Habs jerseys when they are in both cities for a game. As Calgary grows and matures there seem to be more home grown fans. For example when I look at my group of friends and coworkers most of us moved here from elsewhere and brought our teams loyalty with us. Our kids for the most part are Flames fans however.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 01:20 PM   #48
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Calgary's overall fan base is probably one of the smaller ones in the league. Outside of Alberta is probably less than a percent.
Old 06-04-2021, 01:22 PM   #49
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wayne and the five cups plus McDavid certainly make a difference

Doesn't bother me though, more people to laugh at. If an Oiler fan brags about having more fans by their logic the Leafs are the best because they have the most fans in the NHL.
Old 06-04-2021, 01:44 PM   #50
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
Calgary's overall fan base is probably one of the smaller ones in the league. Outside of Alberta is probably less than a percent.
You'd be surprised though. I know Ottawa fans here that have never lived in Ottawa or Ontario.

I doubt Flames fans abroad are really broadcasting it, except those on here that have made their location known.

I would wager there are a number of kids north and south of the border that jumped on for Gaudreau in the last 5-6 years that we have no idea about.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 01:53 PM   #51
nieuwy-89
First Line Centre

Exp:

There was a time around 2002-2004 when the Flames got a bit of mojo back and you actually saw a lot of Flames jerseys/support all over the province, including Edmonton area. Iginla is an Edmonton-born guy and a lot of people were following him closely. We all remember the famous signs on Edmonton businesses during the Flames 2004 playoff run and many Flames car flags the deeper they went that year.

Unfortunately the lockout, and then the Oilers miracle run in 2006, destroyed that momentum that the Flames had built.

I'd say now it probably does skew more towards the Oilers due primarily to the McDavid effect.

I've always thought Calgarians were a little less passionate about their pro sports teams, compared to Edmonton. Maybe because Calgarians have more to do in their recreational time due to proximity to mountains and outdoor activities. Edmonton still has that blue-collar lunch box vibe where a lot of people's lives rotate around the Oilers and Eskimos.
nieuwy-89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 01:56 PM   #52
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey008 View Post
Oilers fans are more passionate and they will definitely show if off
You walk around Edmonton, you would probably see 2/10 ppl with some sort of Oilers apparel
You walk around Calgary, and you would probably see 2/10 will have Oilers gear as well!

Let alone you see more cars rock the Oilers License plates
"Passionate"? No.

Do not mistake audacity for passion.

I am a passionate Flames fan. I don't have to scream about it all day long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2021, 01:58 PM   #53
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan! View Post
Yes it was.. I didn't know a single Flames fan which is what brought me to Calgarypuck in 2001.

Like real Flames fan, not a single one. The dome was a library and the team was on the verge of moving. Oilers fans were everywhere and outnumbered Flames fans at the Saddledome and around the city.
This is just anecdotal garbage. Maybe Flames fans in the city simply did not want to be your friend? I always knew many growing up in Calgary.

Quote:
Old 06-04-2021, 01:59 PM   #54
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Researcher trying to pin down why hockey fans in Red Deer support Oilers or Flames

https://www.reddeeradvocate.com/spor...ers-or-flames/

Quote:
Red Deer is one of the only cities in North America to have two professional sports teams in the same league, that happen to be almost exactly the same distance apart. From the Centrium in Red Deer to Calgary’s Saddledome is 144 kilometres, while the journey north to Edmonton’s Rogers Place is 157 kilometres.
Running head: FAN IDENTIFICATION IN RED DEER, ALBERTA A Study of NHL Fan Identification in Red Deer, Alberta
https://dr.library.brocku.ca/bitstre...=1&isAllowed=y
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 02:03 PM   #55
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
but would hazard a guess that NE BC is pretty strong for the Oilers.
My dad is from NE BC and his family all still lives there. They're al huge flames fans, fly in for games once or twice/year, etc
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 02:04 PM   #56
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
My dad is from NE BC and his family all still lives there. They're al huge flames fans, fly in for games once or twice/year, etc
SE BC (eg Invermere) is probably mostly Flames. Definitely not Canucks.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 02:05 PM   #57
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan! View Post
Yes it was.. I didn't know a single Flames fan which is what brought me to Calgarypuck in 2001.

Like real Flames fan, not a single one. The dome was a library and the team was on the verge of moving. Oilers fans were everywhere and outnumbered Flames fans at the Saddledome and around the city.
Sample size of 3 and you bring that crap in here? haha

The Coyotes deserves fans like you.
Old 06-04-2021, 02:07 PM   #58
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
SE BC (eg Invermere) is probably mostly Flames. Definitely not Canucks.
I have met a surprising number of Flames fans here in my town of residence. I am not sure why that is.

Quote:
Old 06-04-2021, 02:10 PM   #59
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I have met a surprising number of Flames fans here in my town of residence. I am not sure why that is.
TBF, in invermere on a given day 3/4 of the people are from Calgary.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2021, 02:11 PM   #60
shogged
First Line Centre

Exp:

In my opinion, I think the Oilers are going to dominate the fan numbers when you look at the older demographics, which a lot of people have alluded to as far as their earlier entrance into Alberta and the championships they won. However, if you start to look at the younger demographics, I'd bet that the fan numbers are a lot more comparable. Both teams have done an awful job of marketing to younger generations (as the NHL has done as a whole) and lack any recent success to build momentum off of. Slight edge to Edmonton for the McGomer effect, but apathy towards hockey is province wide and growing.
shogged is offline   Reply With Quote