Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2021, 11:18 PM   #8081
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I don’t know about conditioning. He argues with teammates a lot. He’s obviously a good C. But he’s in a big romp of centres ranked between 20-30 that includes Monahan and a bunch of other guys. The claim that any GM would want him over Monahan is too broad because money, fit, role, character, age, all come into it.

I wouldn’t see him work well with Gaudreau, for example.
I know from watching him that he doesn't exactly "work his ass off".
Old 02-28-2021, 11:20 PM   #8082
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
Detroit's Anthony Mantha RW has 9 points and is a -10 this season. He is pointless and -7 in his last 9 games. Like Sam Bennett, Mantha has been benched this season and didn't much like it. I believe he is a better player than Sam Bennett and I think he would fit in nicely on the top 6 for Calgary. C'mon Tre, make Yzerman an offer.

*edit - Mantha makes $5.75M for the next 4 years. There goes that idea.
Haha, I had a post almost exactly like this one a few weeks ago. Scary, actually...
Old 02-28-2021, 11:21 PM   #8083
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
Doesn't Kuz have some attitude and conditioning issues? I seem to remember him getting a team suspension a few years back? I could be wrong....
Are you thinking of the one he got for having his This is what America was like in the 80's party caught on Videotape?
Old 02-28-2021, 11:24 PM   #8084
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
Are you thinking of the one he got for having his This is what America was like in the 80's party caught on Videotape?
LOL-I wasn't aware of a party like that, but it could be. Something around being late to practice, or missing a team meeting?
Old 02-28-2021, 11:25 PM   #8085
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
The NHL suspended him for cocaine and so did the IIHF. 3 games by the NHL and 4 years by the IIHF LOL.
Old 02-28-2021, 11:26 PM   #8086
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The NHL suspended him for cocaine and so did the IIHF. 3 games by the NHL and 4 years by the IIHF LOL.
DAMN. I was way off,lol.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2021, 11:29 PM   #8087
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post

9 of Eichel's goals last year were game winners, good for third best in the league. This is an elite player needing a change.
Tied with David Perron, maybe we should snag him, likely a cheaper option.
Old 02-28-2021, 11:30 PM   #8088
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
People laughing at a Monahan-Eichel comparison need to see your Gaudreau-Ovechkin comparison. Guadreau is a very good playmaker. Ovechkin is the best goal scorer ever.

Career PPG is between Monahan and Kuznetsov is .03 difference - congrats. Kuznetsov is also one of the worst defenders in the league. Two years ago he literally had the worst advanced stats defensively. Luckily, he and Ovechkin scored a ton.
You can twist the comparison all you want. I’ve never argued Gaudreau is on remotely the same level as Ovi - that’s you putting words in my mouth.

The stats are close in reg season and they aren’t in playoffs. I would warrant that is more than enough to explain the $1.5 in value between their deals.

If we were talking $3m difference in AAV I could see your argument. At close to the same AAV, Kuznetsov is the better player and I don’t see any evidence that suggests otherwise.
Old 02-28-2021, 11:33 PM   #8089
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Who said Monahan is close to Eichel?
this

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
I put Eichel in the same class as Monahan, maybe a little higher only because he is a line driver.
Old 03-01-2021, 12:14 AM   #8090
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Last game I went to at the dome was vs Buffalo in 18/19. Eichel scored the game winner (OT winner I beleive) He was the best player on the ice that night (although flames top line was looking pretty sharp too). He is a True elite 1C and there is no way the Sabres send him out of town unless he asks for a trade.... which who know if this happens for a few more seasons. But won't be this season or offseason.

Last edited by Samonadreau; 03-01-2021 at 12:18 AM.
Old 03-01-2021, 12:29 AM   #8091
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard_the_duck View Post
You can twist the comparison all you want. I’ve never argued Gaudreau is on remotely the same level as Ovi - that’s you putting words in my mouth.

The stats are close in reg season and they aren’t in playoffs. I would warrant that is more than enough to explain the $1.5 in value between their deals.

If we were talking $3m difference in AAV I could see your argument. At close to the same AAV, Kuznetsov is the better player and I don’t see any evidence that suggests otherwise.
You said discounting Monahan because he plays with Gaudreau is just like discounting Kuznetsov because he plays with Ovechkin. Monahan and Kuznetsov score about the same points every year. You are telling me Kuznetsov benefits less from Ovechkin than Monahan does from Gaudreau? Laughable. If Monahan played with Ovechkin he’d do at least as well. Maybe more because they’d start with the puck more often.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 06:51 AM   #8092
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
This NHL top 20 centre list from November has Eichel #6 and Monahan absent.

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-current...rs/c-319621210

This TSN top 50 player list from 2021 has Eichel at #8 and Monahan absent.

https://www.tsn.ca/still-no-1-connor...year-1.1576126

Suffice to say people outside this forum don’t see them at anywhere near the same level.
Monahan is not a very good C unfortunately. It's reality Flames fans have a hard time accepting. As Johnny goes so does Monahan. The suggestion that Johnny needs Monahan as much if not more is flat out laughable.

This will be clear when they are separated. Probably in the next 12 months or so after another disappointing playoffs.

For the record, Johnny is very flawed as well. But he makes players around him better. He loves carrying the puck so he gets chased around a lot, yet he still makes plays. No one chases Monahan, he hardly ever has the puck. Very quiet player that is great at one thing, finishing Johnny's plays.
Old 03-01-2021, 07:25 AM   #8093
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Monahan is in trade talks because of his average play over the last couple years. What he did 2 years ago is kind of irrelevant. Jeff Skinner had 40 goals 2 years ago but I doubt many teams are considering that in trade. If we're trading Monahan to Buffalo we have a better shot at Reinhart than Eichel.
Old 03-01-2021, 07:31 AM   #8094
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
Monahan is not a very good C unfortunately. It's reality Flames fans have a hard time accepting. As Johnny goes so does Monahan. The suggestion that Johnny needs Monahan as much if not more is flat out laughable.

This will be clear when they are separated. Probably in the next 12 months or so after another disappointing playoffs.

For the record, Johnny is very flawed as well. But he makes players around him better. He loves carrying the puck so he gets chased around a lot, yet he still makes plays. No one chases Monahan, he hardly ever has the puck. Very quiet player that is great at one thing, finishing Johnny's plays.
Said circa 1988.

"Nieuwendyk is not a very good C unfortunately. It's reality Flames fans have a hard time accepting. As Loob goes so does Nieuwendyk . The suggestion that Loob needs Nieuwendyk as much if not more is flat out laughable.

For the record, Loob is very flawed as well. But he makes players around him better. He loves carrying the puck so he gets chased around a lot, yet he still makes plays. No one chases Nieuwendyk , he hardly ever has the puck. Very quiet player that is great at one thing, finishing Loob's plays."

Scorers need passers and passers need scorers. They support each other's games. I've never understood why people struggle to get this concept?
Old 03-01-2021, 07:31 AM   #8095
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackey View Post
Monahan is in trade talks because of his average play over the last couple years. What he did 2 years ago is kind of irrelevant. Jeff Skinner had 40 goals 2 years ago but I doubt many teams are considering that in trade. If we're trading Monahan to Buffalo we have a better shot at Reinhart than Eichel.
We are talking about Eichel and guessing what Buffalo might want. Which maybe would include getting a centre back. It has nothing to do with wanting to get rid of Monahan or anyone else.
Old 03-01-2021, 07:32 AM   #8096
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I have seen ONE poster in this thread suggest that Eichel and Monahan are on the same level. Suffice to say that you are misrepresenting "this forum."

Besides that, some of those player rankings in the TSN list are ludicrous.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

But there are pages of discussion that they are not vastly different. Maybe the a forum minus one believes they are not close but it sure triggered a lot of Monahan boosting.

(For the record I think Monahan is a very good player)
Old 03-01-2021, 07:38 AM   #8097
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Said circa 1988.

"Nieuwendyk is not a very good C unfortunately. It's reality Flames fans have a hard time accepting. As Loob goes so does Nieuwendyk . The suggestion that Loob needs Nieuwendyk as much if not more is flat out laughable.

For the record, Loob is very flawed as well. But he makes players around him better. He loves carrying the puck so he gets chased around a lot, yet he still makes plays. No one chases Nieuwendyk , he hardly ever has the puck. Very quiet player that is great at one thing, finishing Loob's plays."

Scorers need passers and passers need scorers. They support each other's games. I've never understood why people struggle to get this concept?

1 5 on 5 goal in the last 40-ish games. Do something 5 on 5, how's that for a concept?
The Following User Says Thank You to Red For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 07:51 AM   #8098
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:

Which players has Gaudreau made better? He has had the opportunity to play with other players besides Monahan in his time in Calgary, but I am struggling to think of one that looks demonstrably better when paired with Gaudreau than without.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 03-01-2021, 07:54 AM   #8099
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Which players has Gaudreau made better? He has had the opportunity to play with other players besides Monahan in his time in Calgary, but I am struggling to think of one that looks demonstrably better when paired with Gaudreau than without.

Wideman in his career year. They had unreal chemistry. Then again, maybe again it was the opposite. Wideman was feeling it big time that year and Johnny was the guy who fed him just like he always tries to feed the point.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 08:02 AM   #8100
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
1 5 on 5 goal in the last 40-ish games. Do something 5 on 5, how's that for a concept?
I take it you don’t want Eichel. Check out when he had his last 5 on 5 goals. One in January 2021. The one before that, Feb. 13, 2020.
Closed Thread