Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2023, 11:50 AM   #2121
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

When you put a bunch of healthy (or at least near-healthy) foods on your kids dinner plates and they clean their plates. It's a constant battle in the early years of giving them good food options over and over and over until they finally give in. It's worth the effort - we see the other side with my one nephew who gets to eat whatever he wants (which is always garbage), his physical health is dreadful (and I can't help but think his growing mental health issues are partially related too).
OutOfTheCube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 11:54 AM   #2122
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
When you put a bunch of healthy (or at least near-healthy) foods on your kids dinner plates and they clean their plates. It's a constant battle in the early years of giving them good food options over and over and over until they finally give in. It's worth the effort - we see the other side with my one nephew who gets to eat whatever he wants (which is always garbage), his physical health is dreadful (and I can't help but think his growing mental health issues are partially related too).
It's surprising what kids will eat when given the opportunity and not influenced by others opinions.

You should see my kids devour brussel sprouts.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 11:54 AM   #2123
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I'm at Dartmouth
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 11:56 AM   #2124
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
It's surprising what kids will eat when given the opportunity and not influenced by others opinions.

You should see my kids devour brussel sprouts.
You reach a point where you need to allow them not to like things.

My daughter hates asparagus, she flat out told us when she was 6 or 7. But listed off a bunch of other veggies she would eat.

Exposing them to lots allows them to actually find out what they like.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2023, 12:16 PM   #2125
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post

My daughter hates asparagus, she flat out told us when she was 6 or 7. But listed off a bunch of other veggies she would eat.

Definitely, we're big on the "as long as you try it" chain. If you try it and don't like it, you don't have to eat it. But then I want you to try it again eventually too, don't assume you'll hate it forever.

My oldest is very picky and the only veggie he'll touch is cucumber. So we give the kid a LOT of cucumber. My middle child will eat pretty much anything. And my youngest only likes caeser salad, lol. But at least it's something.
OutOfTheCube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 12:23 PM   #2126
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Oh for sure. In our case, we've always just had the kids eat what we were eating, which allows them to try new things and develop their own tastes... That's the surprising thing - kids will generally try and like a lot of the generally un-kid-friendly foods, if given a chance and left to figure it out without any outside influence.

We know this one family that feeds their kids hot dogs and KD probably 4-5 times a week, because "that's what they like"... We had them over this summer and suggested we order Thai or Indian food... "but what about the kids?"... "what do you mean? Ours are good either way"... I was literally furious when the dad peeled out of the driveway to go buy KD for his kids.
Old 11-21-2023, 02:21 PM   #2127
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
Oh for sure. In our case, we've always just had the kids eat what we were eating, which allows them to try new things and develop their own tastes... That's the surprising thing - kids will generally try and like a lot of the generally un-kid-friendly foods, if given a chance and left to figure it out without any outside influence.

We know this one family that feeds their kids hot dogs and KD probably 4-5 times a week, because "that's what they like"... We had them over this summer and suggested we order Thai or Indian food... "but what about the kids?"... "what do you mean? Ours are good either way"... I was literally furious when the dad peeled out of the driveway to go buy KD for his kids.
My wife was a food nazi with our kids as they grew up. Kind of annoyed me because I am a really picky eater but good god is it better now. They still eat crap but compared to their friends, jeezuz.

I remember a buddy saying "your kid likes mussels and he's not asian"?
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 06:44 PM   #2128
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:

Wish my parents were like that. I hated carrots and brussel sprouts but was forced to eat them anyway.
Old 11-22-2023, 09:14 AM   #2129
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm super lucky too, my kids will eat pretty much everything and love their veggies. Broccoli, brussels sprouts, cauliflower, it doesn't matter - they devour it all. They shame me mercilessly as I'm a picky eater. I wish I wasn't.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2023, 05:28 PM   #2130
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

WRMMH is finally having a heated garage. Bonus points my neighbor is a general contractor who managed to get his gas fitter buddy install mine and run the gas line and venting for a thousand bucks. All-in I was +/- $2000 when every place I called wanted $3500-5000 to supply and install.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 06:20 PM   #2131
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
WRMMH is finally having a heated garage. Bonus points my neighbor is a general contractor who managed to get his gas fitter buddy install mine and run the gas line and venting for a thousand bucks. All-in I was +/- $2000 when every place I called wanted $3500-5000 to supply and install.
Definite game changer. Now be like me and let your spouse and kid have the nice heated garage so that you can be super dad and continue experiencing window scraping and a cold arse.
chedder is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chedder For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2023, 08:29 PM   #2132
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

WRMMH is flying home tomorrow.
Old 11-30-2023, 10:53 PM   #2133
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Took my wife out on a surprise trip out to Banff to the hot springs and dinner. Something we've not done in quite a few years, and we both loved it.

Last edited by WhiteTiger; 12-01-2023 at 12:20 AM.
WhiteTiger is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2023, 10:19 AM   #2134
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like all the construction signs, speed limit reductions etc. have been removed on the NB portion of Stoney where it crosses the river. It was full speed from WB 16th Ave to NB Stoney.

This makes me happy.

For the first time since moving to Calgary 27 years ago I do not have a construction zone to drive through in my commute.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2023, 11:39 AM   #2135
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
Took my wife out on a surprise trip out to Banff to the hot springs and dinner. Something we've not done in quite a few years, and we both loved it.
Getting lucky also makes me happy.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 10:16 PM   #2136
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
Definite game changer. Now be like me and let your spouse and kid have the nice heated garage so that you can be super dad and continue experiencing window scraping and a cold arse.
Be like every Calgarian and fill it with non vehicle stuff to the point where your family still parks both vehicles on the street in -20 because your garage has become a $30k heated storage facility.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2023, 08:06 AM   #2137
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Be like every Calgarian and fill it with non vehicle stuff to the point where your family still parks both vehicles on the street in -20 because your garage has become a $30k heated storage facility.
Or make it into a ####ty "man cave" with a TV, 2 lawn chairs and stank ass couch. yuck

Garages are for parking vehicle, plain and simple.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2023, 08:30 AM   #2138
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
It is pretty funny when I walk my dog on a cold morning and see several houses on my walk with both vehicles in the driveway plugged in. It's kind of weird how many people don't use their garage for the intended purpose but there are plenty of hoarders out there I guess.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 08:42 AM   #2139
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It make me really happy that not a single house on my street regularly parks on their driveway.
Old 12-05-2023, 04:58 PM   #2140
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Listening to Slayer after being bombarded with Christmas music.

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Puppet Guy For This Useful Post: