Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2018, 01:42 PM   #41
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
This is not a fact. The Canucks are one of the worst teams in the NHL and not remotely competitive.

Benning will prove his mettle this summer with the Sedins, Baertschi, Granlund, and Virtanen entering free agency. The Canucks have only one defenseman signed past next season.
If you remember, the Canucks were sitting in a playoff position neck and neck with us around the beginning of December before they suffered a ton of injuries to almost their entire top 6 forward group and top defensemen. That’s relatively competitive for a rebuilding group. Benning has made some good moves and they’ve drafted some nice prospects as of late,m. I personally don’t think he’s laughably bad as many may think.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 01:43 PM   #42
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Why is he not on the Olympic team?

I am not saying he is going to be a bust but at 6’2 160lbs he could be years away from making an impact. Considering Sam Bennett is a certified bust at 21 the clock is ticking on Petterson
The clock is ticking???

He was drafted 7 months ago and is putting up all time SHL stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Yeah, at least the Canucks can draft reasonably well.

They're not good with free agent contracts under Benning, nor have they convincingly won any trades, but at least they can draft.

The Oilers can't do ANY of those things well.
Burrows trade was a slam dunk at the time and looks even better now

Sven trade was a win

Granlund trade was a win, looked better last year but still more valuable than shinkaruk

Gotten good picks for Bieksa, garrison, lack etc.

Gave up picks for guys that didn't work out like vey,

His only real bad trade was gudbranson, the rest are all middle-of-the-road
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 01:48 PM   #43
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
He was literally drafted last summer. What the heck are you talking about?

Cali panthers fan had it right. Benning can draft, but can't sign players. The Sbisa and Dorsett contracts were insanity that he got out of by luck, and he looks like he might go right back and do it again this summer with Gudbranson. Trades have been mostly a wash. Basically, the guy would be great to have in your organization... as a head scout.
I was being purposely over dramatic. Inquewhy he is not on their Olympic team if he is the best prospect not in the nhl. Then just took a shot at the general consensus some have that Bennett is a bust at 21.

Petterson needs to fill out and he could be a stud. Then again he could be the next MPS who did great overseas as a prospect and failed in the nhl.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 01:48 PM   #44
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
The clock is ticking???

He was drafted 7 months ago and is putting up all time SHL stats

Burrows trade was a slam dunk at the time and looks even better now

Sven trade was a win

Granlund trade was a win, looked better last year but still more valuable than shinkaruk

Gotten good picks for Bieksa, garrison, lack etc.

Gave up picks for guys that didn't work out like vey,

His only real bad trade was gudbranson, the rest are all middle-of-the-road
Sorry bad joke about Bennett being a bust.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2018, 01:49 PM   #45
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
If you remember, the Canucks were sitting in a playoff position neck and neck with us around the beginning of December before they suffered a ton of injuries to seemingly their entire top 6 and top defensemen. That’s relatively competitive for a rebuilding group...
That was lightning in a bottle. Derek Dorsett was leading the team in goals for the first several weeks of the season, and Sven Baertschi was riding a 25% SP. It was obviously unsustainable to anyone who was paying attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 01:50 PM   #46
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's great at drafting

His trading isnt a huge net gain or lose, nothing they have moved out has turned out great for the other team

In FA he's been bad, although if they move the other older guys like Vanek this year, maybe Gagner next year etc. Those signings look better since they have a purpose, but if he doesn't it's huge waste

Overall he's probably an average GM who gets a bad reputation because he's a horrible public speaker

Don't think this is a great move, but it's not a bad one either, I also wouldn't be surprised if he's gone after 2 years
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2018, 01:58 PM   #47
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
This is not a fact. The Canucks are one of the worst teams in the NHL and not remotely competitive.

Benning will prove his mettle this summer with the Sedins, Baertschi, Granlund, and Virtanen entering free agency. The Canucks have only one defenseman signed past next season.
Aren't all of them RFA's except the Sedins?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 01:59 PM   #48
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
That was lightning in a bottle. Derek Dorsett was leading the team in goals for the first several weeks of the season, and Sven Baertschi was riding a 25% SP. It was obviously unsustainable to anyone who was paying attention.
Facing that many significant long term injuries to an already shallow roster definitely hurt them. I don’t even like the Canucks, but I can show them some respect where it’s due. It’s not like they’ve taken advantage of lottery wins and being gifted generational players like the Oilers. Who knows where they’d be if they didn’t face all those injuries at the time and had better goaltending like we’ve had from Mike Smith and David Rittich. Elias Pettersson looks like a heck of pick too and I’m not looking forward to playing against him and Brock Boeser for the next decade.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 01:59 PM   #49
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Not sure Petterson is going to pan out.
Lol. Really?
Old 02-14-2018, 02:00 PM   #50
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
He's great at drafting

His trading isnt a huge net gain or lose, nothing they have moved out has turned out great for the other team

In FA he's been bad, although if they move the other older guys like Vanek this year, maybe Gagner next year etc. Those signings look better since they have a purpose, but if he doesn't it's huge waste

Overall he's probably an average GM who gets a bad reputation because he's a horrible public speaker

Don't think this is a great move, but it's not a bad one either, I also wouldn't be surprised if he's gone after 2 years
If he's great at drafting and not good at trading, free agency, or speaking with the press then he should be a scout and not a GM.

But I don't really agree with giving GM's too much credit for a team's drafting record under their management unless he personally overhauled the drafting department.

Because the facts are a GM may not have even watched a game of a kid that his team drafts in the fourth round.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 02:01 PM   #51
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Lol. Really?
I mean it's possible he just can't deal with the transition to North America. It wouldn't be the first time a talented European player has failed to do that. But he's currently on pace to have somewhere around the 2nd best season in history by a U20 in the top Swedish league, roughly tied with Peter Forsberg, sandwiched in between Kent Nilsson and Thomas Gradin. That's pretty solid company.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2018, 02:08 PM   #52
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Flames are 2/3 in their top-ten draft selections in that time. The Canucks are 1/4 so far.
The Canucks are 2/4 in that time. Horvat and Petterson look like great picks, Juolevi may be a good selection, but not the best player available and Virtanen looks like a bad pick right now.
Mean Mr. Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 03:12 PM   #53
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Virtanen over Ehlers, Nylander, Larkin
Joulevi over Tkachuk, Keller

Not sure Petterson is going to pan out.

He gets love for Boeser rightfully so but I don’t think he has made the right picks with his high draft choices.

I guess anything can happen but that kid is as blue chip as it gets.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:15 PM   #54
theinfinitejar
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Thank you Jim.

Into the Sun.
theinfinitejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 03:27 PM   #55
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am happy to see the extension.

Sure, he has made a couple draft picks that currently look good. But they still have to actually become players (not all do). And more importantly, there is MUCH more to GMing than just drafting. And Benning has shown absolutely nothing when it comes to contracts and trading.

So yes, please extend him!
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 03:32 PM   #56
jayswin

Exp:

Do we know that the good drafting is even him? Maybe he's bad at signing, bad at trading and isn't heavily involved in drafting?
Old 02-14-2018, 03:41 PM   #57
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Do we know that the good drafting is even him? Maybe he's bad at signing, bad at trading and isn't heavily involved in drafting?
Benning is a former highly regarded scout, who still prioritizes his own involvement in scouting—some might argue to the detriment of his other managerial responsibilities. He continues to be heavily involved in drafting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2018, 04:03 PM   #58
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not sure that Benning has gotten any better. It's just that there are guys worse than him in Chiarelli, Dorion and Bergevin that are really stinking it up lately, so Jim doesn't look so dim in comparison.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 05:01 PM   #59
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Benning > Chiarelli but that's not saying much.

In terms of draft success- Boeser is definitely a homerun, Pettersson looks great but he was BPA when he was drafted so I don't know about giving him too much credit for it.
Let's see if his later round picks start turning out in spades. His trades seem 50/50 and his contract signings are pretty dismal.

Overall i think i would be displeased if I were a nucks fan!
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 05:01 PM   #60
FlamesFanFromBC
First Line Centre

Exp:

Overall I think he's done a good job with trades and drafting. They probably should have started the "rebuild" a couple years earlier than they did. I'm guessing that was probably an ownership mandate.

His worst move was probably the free agent signing of Loui Eriksson (6 yrs x 6M) which at the time made no sense for rebuilding team and looks ever worse now with his production over last couple seasons.