Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-25-2016, 01:01 PM   #41
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Come on Flames. Win all those games in hand for Petes sake.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 01:04 PM   #42
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

I've given up caring about playoffs. Hoping for a fun game. Until we have a real 1a goalie and defense that could stop a midget team we're hopeless, this incarnation will never go anywhere.

A team that must be perfect and has no room for error obviously needs improvement.
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 01:05 PM   #43
flamesforcup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Giordano - Brodie
Smid - Hamilton
Russell - Egelland

With Hamilton, Brodie and Giordano getting all the PP time. That's how it ought to be right now.
do u think smid can handle top 4 minutes?
flamesforcup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 01:16 PM   #44
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesforcup View Post
With Smid/Engelland getting limited PP/PK time, there minutes ought to be the lowest regardless of deployment 5v5. If the game is tight in the 3rd, Hartley tends to shorten his bench, so just go back to deploying:

Giordano - Brodie
Russell - Hamilton

With Engelland/Smid subbing in on pairings as needed.
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 01:20 PM   #45
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesforcup View Post
Between 2012 and 2014 Smid-Petry was IIRC the Oilers' top pair and they were a +3 over that span. I think Smid can handle #4 minutes with a guy as solid as Hamilton as his partner. I don't think Smid can carry a pair though.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2016, 01:24 PM   #46
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Johnny's gone 1-3 over his whole short career many times, in good situations and bad. His bad passes were just that - bad passes. He had other choices he could have made.

Was Monahan great last night? Nope. But saying that's why Gaudreau was bad is just deflection of criticism from the favorite.
Johnny was one of the worst players in the game last game, if not the worst. He is absolved of nothing. My only point is that I don't see a whole lot of 5-man trust in that line right now.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 01:48 PM   #47
ScorchyScorch
Scoring Winger

Exp:

This could be it. The back breaker on the chase.

Would really like to watch more meaningful hockey this year. I hope the hockey gods are with us on this one. At the very least, let's see an effort like the last time we played there.
ScorchyScorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 02:02 PM   #48
DynastyEra
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Smid has been one of the most consistent defenseman this year, its a shame hes not getting regular minutes because he is one guy I see actually take the body and remove guys from the puck physically. Makes the smart/simple play, uses the glass when hes hemmed in, avoids high risk outlets, ect.
Hamilton has become more comfortable in finishing his checks but Smid punishes guys whenever he has an opportunity.
Defensively I've been most impressed by him. I would definitely like to see him paired with Hamilton to give them a solid look, the veteran presence wouldn't hurt either.
DynastyEra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to DynastyEra For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2016, 02:06 PM   #49
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorchyScorch View Post

Would really like to watch more meaningful hockey this year. I hope the hockey gods are with us on this one. At the very least, let's see an effort like the last time we played there.
The last few losses are all back beakers. They're 1 game below 0.500 and have shown no consistency to think that they should be higher.

If you look at the current standings and see that they need to be around 10-12 games above 0.500 at the end to make the playoffs, they need to go 11-13 games above 0.500 the rest of the way to sneak in.

What this season makes a 23-13-0 record look likely from here on out?

The back breakers were a few weeks ago
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 02:09 PM   #50
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:

I like your optimism but this team has reverted right back to the crappy play they had during October and November which appears to be the real playing level of this team.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 02:19 PM   #51
ScorchyScorch
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynastyEra View Post
Smid has been one of the most consistent defenseman this year, its a shame hes not getting regular minutes because he is one guy I see actually take the body and remove guys from the puck physically. Makes the smart/simple play, uses the glass when hes hemmed in, avoids high risk outlets, ect.
Hamilton has become more comfortable in finishing his checks but Smid punishes guys whenever he has an opportunity.
Defensively I've been most impressed by him. I would definitely like to see him paired with Hamilton to give them a solid look, the veteran presence wouldn't hurt either.
This is truth. Couldn't have explained it better myself. Smid actually physically takes guys off pucks. The rest of our D just lay the odd check but otherwise shove at players numbers and try to poke the puck away which doesn't work on >6' forwards that can protect it. Smid actually has the stay at home defensive game down, was our best D yesterday start to finish and Bob is pulling him out.... the coach is defining insanity right now.

Smid is definitely capable of playing on the second pairing. While he won't provide offense, at least he can be relied on to do the job in his own end. Too bad it won't happen.
The Following User Says Thank You to ScorchyScorch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2016, 02:25 PM   #52
ScorchyScorch
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
The last few losses are all back beakers. They're 1 game below 0.500 and have shown no consistency to think that they should be higher.

If you look at the current standings and see that they need to be around 10-12 games above 0.500 at the end to make the playoffs, they need to go 11-13 games above 0.500 the rest of the way to sneak in.

What this season makes a 23-13-0 record look likely from here on out?

The back breakers were a few weeks ago

SJ, Van, Ari and Ana aren't going to be world beaters from here on out, either. There will be stretches where they each fall back. So long as the pacific is the pacific, it's not impossible. But we need to pull ahead of .500 like..yesterday. So I'd say if these last two before the break aren't taken, that might be the real back breaker.
The Following User Says Thank You to ScorchyScorch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2016, 02:50 PM   #53
DynastyEra
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
This is truth. Couldn't have explained it better myself. Smid actually physically takes guys off pucks. The rest of our D just lay the odd check but otherwise shove at players numbers and try to poke the puck away which doesn't work on >6' forwards that can protect it. Smid actually has the stay at home defensive game down, was our best D yesterday start to finish and Bob is pulling him out.... the coach is defining insanity right now.

Smid is definitely capable of playing on the second pairing. While he won't provide offense, at least he can be relied on to do the job in his own end. Too bad it won't happen.
The defensive presence alone is a good enough reason to at least try him with Hamilton. I don't see why at this point trying some new combinations on the bottom 4 is a bad idea. If Smid does really well he could be trade bait for a contender. It couldn't hurt.

Bennett also needs to see more ice time up the middle, if hes going to develop into a 1A-1B guy on this team he needs to bulk up a bit and really get to the grind at the dot. That makes moving someone like Backlund out a move we can afford to make.

That would also allow the Flames to shuffle Bennett and Monahan with Johnny. That is a nice luxury to have.
DynastyEra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 03:01 PM   #54
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Yeah I'd like to see a stay at home type guy in Smid with Hamilton because then it lets Dougie jump up.

As well if you have Russell with Engelland, Russell has more of a green light as well.

But I don't think its in our best interest to start sitting Wideman regularly because ideally he starts playing better and we somehow move him (probably having to take a bad contract at forward in return).
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 03:04 PM   #55
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

Agree wholeheartedly about Smid. I liked him as soon as we fleeced the greasers. Our only shutdown dman, Engelland's more like a shutdown pylon.
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 03:05 PM   #56
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynastyEra View Post
Smid has better zone exits than Engelland and Russell (who are the worst at it) and probably Wideman too. And he's better defensively than all three (Engelland is more physical but gets caught out of position more). Aside from blocking, I'm not impressed by Russell, and Wideman is not good either.

I think Smid would complement Hamilton, more than Russell. I think the real danger is pairing Russell and Engelland. Or Russell and Wideman (notwithstanding last years' success).
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 04:05 PM   #57
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Really hoping for a different PP look tonight.

heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 04:49 PM   #58
hwy19man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Centre Ice channels for:
Monday, January 25

Calgary at Dallas, 1830h Mountain
Confirmed Flames feed in red

Shaw Cable 350 SD and HD
Shaw Direct 164 HD--Classic lineup
Shaw Direct 464 HD--Advance lineup

Bell - 430 SD 1455 HD

Telus Sat - same as Bell
Telus Optik - ***

Rogers - Same as Eastlink

Source Cable - 457 461 SD 485 489 HD
Eastlink - 457 461 SD and HD
Cogeco - 457 461 SD 488 492 HD

Westman - 804 805 SD 818 819 HD
MTS - 838 842 SD 1838 1842 HD
Novus - 484**
Northwestel - 578 582SD and HD
Videotron - NA***

USA
Indemand - Game 5 SD Game HD5
Directv - 775 SD 775-1 HD
Dish - 579 SD 9548 HD 475-07

Sirius Radio-- Internet 926
XM Radio-- Internet 926
SXM Radio-- Internet 926

must show all Flames games nationally when they play on Saturdays, Mondays, and Wednesdays !!!
hwy19man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hwy19man For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2016, 04:57 PM   #59
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Second game of a back to back against a Dallas team looking to find it's groove again. They shut down Benn and Seguin last time they met. Hoping they can do so again but that game yesterday was really concerning.

Gaudreau looked really bad. Monahan is hit or miss for the most part. The only two things rolling right now for the Flames are Bennett and Brodie and they can only do so much.

Hoping for a W but calling it 4-1 Dallas.

Also not liking the way Ramo looked yesterday either. Or Hiller for that matter.
Old 01-25-2016, 06:35 PM   #60
Drak
First Line Centre

Exp:

Got my new Johnny jersey on. Hope it brings better luck than last night.
Drak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gtd , winwinwinwinwinwinwinwin