Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2017, 07:00 AM   #41
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

How critical is this buying period though when supplies are limited and there's not enough phones to meet demand? Doesn't really make a lot of sense. I could understand if there was a phone for everyone available day one that they may want to restrict reviews to keep the hype going but since most people will be waiting anyway there will be plenty of long term reviews out before most buyers get their phones.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:07 AM   #42
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Walked into the Telus store yesterday and picked up one of these guys. May actually have been the easist Iphone I've ever gotten. (Space Grey for those wondering)

To make it even crazier, the sales guy was awesome, got on the phone with retentions and long story short only paid 450 for the phone with a 5 dollar change to my contract. (Trade in old iphone, new phone activation, etc)

The phone really is beautiful and the display is amazing. Getting used to no more home button took a couple hours to get used to, but now I don't even notice it. Face ID works as advertised even when I am wearing a baseball cap, and the phone feels very snappy.

Side note, my wife keeps stealing it from me to send animoji texts which she thinks is the most awesome thing ever.

If you are in the market for an upgrade, or a tech enthusiast, it is a great phone, but at the full 1300 I would have trouble justifying it.
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 06:57 PM   #43
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbo View Post

If you are in the market for an upgrade, or a tech enthusiast, it is a great phone, but at the full 1300 I would have trouble justifying it.
I too wonder what the better way to go is. I bought mine outright, but with 2 year contracts and manditory unlocks I started to wonder which way was better.

I sold my 6S and ended up spending net $1000 on the X. However I have no contract, which who knows if that gets me better deal on service. I get 9GB shared with Rogers with free Spotify and Gamecenter for $125/mo. Seems like a good deal.

Not sure how that stacks up to you? I just have a hard time believing that TELUS would allow someone to buy that phone and at end of contract be out ahead. I just wonder how they a shuffling the numbers as it seems like a really good deal you got there.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 09:02 PM   #44
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Saw one today, they're really nice, the screen is amazing, and even just playing with it I think I'd get used to not having the home button easily enough.

But I'm not sure if I'd want to buy one still. If I could sell my 6 it'd be better, but with the battery problem and screen defect I probably couldn't get much for my 6 so I'd have to pay to have it fixed.. and if I do that should I just keep my 6 and wait for the next generation.

$50-60 for the screen $40 for the battery looks like on kijiji, $100 to fix, and then I'd get what, $250 for a 64GB iPhone 6?

Maybe I'll wait.
Old 11-12-2017, 09:12 PM   #45
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've played with one at the Apple store today. It is great, but I will wait for the bigger screen edition with the 7-plus form factor rumored to be out next year with the XI. Or wait for a price drop for this one...

I am cheap and I am not desperate for one. My 6-plus still works like a charm after Apple gave me a brand new phone 3 months ago with the $199 touch disease recall special...
lazypucker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 10:21 PM   #46
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
I too wonder what the better way to go is. I bought mine outright, but with 2 year contracts and manditory unlocks I started to wonder which way was better.

I sold my 6S and ended up spending net $1000 on the X. However I have no contract, which who knows if that gets me better deal on service. I get 9GB shared with Rogers with free Spotify and Gamecenter for $125/mo. Seems like a good deal.

Not sure how that stacks up to you? I just have a hard time believing that TELUS would allow someone to buy that phone and at end of contract be out ahead. I just wonder how they a shuffling the numbers as it seems like a really good deal you got there.
So full Breakdown. Device balance on my contract was around 200 bucks (iPhone 7 128gb) this was waived. Trade in value on my phone was 335.
I was paying about 125 a month as well, that was for 7gb and unlimited nation to nation calling. Don’t have the Spotify or Game Center. Moved contract around a bit bit basically went up to the 10gb plan, and my plan moved up to 130. This allowed contract for phone to get full 750 value. So 1350 -335-750 = 430 + tax 450 balance

Sales guy was MVP with retention’s gettin last device balance wiped and top tier phone pricing for minimal change in contract
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jbo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2017, 08:58 AM   #47
Backlunds_socks
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I got a release day X 256.

I just couldn't justify the cost - and the cold temperature issues really turned me off.
Ended up getting an 8 plus.
Backlunds_socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:21 AM   #48
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbo View Post
So full Breakdown. Device balance on my contract was around 200 bucks (iPhone 7 128gb) this was waived. Trade in value on my phone was 335.
I was paying about 125 a month as well, that was for 7gb and unlimited nation to nation calling. Don’t have the Spotify or Game Center. Moved contract around a bit bit basically went up to the 10gb plan, and my plan moved up to 130. This allowed contract for phone to get full 750 value. So 1350 -335-750 = 430 + tax 450 balance

Sales guy was MVP with retention’s gettin last device balance wiped and top tier phone pricing for minimal change in contract
Yes that is a good deal. The key there was getting the balance wiped. Great job.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 03:52 PM   #49
Chingas
First Line Centre

Exp:

The wife got an X last week, and I got an 8 plus ( moved up from a 6) this week. We are both very happy with the new additions. I have big hands and am not sold that full edge to edge screens are the be all and end all. I sort of like being able to grip the side of the phone without touching the screen.

So far the 8 plus has felt like a huge step forward from my 6. I also splurged and got the airpods. They are frigging awesome. The lack of a headphone jack is something that I also scoffed at before,but I can't see myself ever needing one ever again.

I don't think that I would call myself an apple fan boy, and I would rather walk a mile barefoot through broken glass than have to use a Macbook for a day, but the two latest flagship phones packaged with the airpods has me smiling.

Last edited by Chingas; 11-25-2017 at 07:19 PM.
Chingas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 05:58 PM   #50
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

I picked up the AirPods and new series 3 watches for me and the wife, I also concur that the AirPods are completely awesome.
Old 11-27-2017, 09:31 AM   #51
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Count me in. It was a hard pill to swallow to buy the AirPods when I usually buy $20 earbuds on Amazon (most I've ever spent was $80). It didn't take long to notice the error of my ways. If my AirPods broke today I'd buy another pair tomorrow.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote