Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2020, 04:10 PM   #501
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagoPucks View Post
Now how do Flames make sure that all the success he had with Markstroms previous coach transfers over to our system and coaching staff? I guess that's upto both the player and team to sort out.

Few sleeps into this contract, i personally still dont feel great about it. I guess that will be the case till h builds a body of work.

This should give a significant data point in the Sigalet arguments.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 04:30 PM   #502
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Acquiring Holtby would feel a lot like when we first got Smith from Arizona for me. Strong history but feels like his best years were eaten up with that team.
Mike Smith at his very best, at his very youngest, was never even remotely close to as good as Braden Holtby

Quote:
I would be cautiously optimistic but not sold.
I mean, you have to remember that Holtby is not coming in to "fix our goaltending issues". We don't feel as though we have a goaltending issue. He's being brought in to support Demko.

Quote:
Markstrom on the other hand feels like he is just entering his peak.

And I feel pretty sold on this guy having witnessed that level of play from him in the past few months.
I mean... I don't actually disagree since I've been watching him for two years but... a few months? Lol.

Quote:
I haven't seen Holtby play elite hockey in a few years. Back then? I would feel the same about him as Marskstrom for sure.
You haven't seen him play "Elite" hockey because his team legitimately just fed him to the wolves after Trotz left? I am shocked! Shocked I say! Okay. Well, not that shocked.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2020, 04:35 PM   #503
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

We'll see broheim, we'll see.

You didn't feel like you had a goaltending issue because you didn't, Markstrom was playing superman for you guys on a nightly basis and you got used to that.

Glad you feel confident about him though.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 05:19 PM   #504
jesters91
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I can see Holtby turning out to be a nice addition for the Canuckleheads.

I can also see how he's performed the last couple of seasons and being on a downward trajectory ending a bust in Vancouver. It's only 2 years so not a long term investment.

That being said, at 4.3M that's a big ticket to pay someone to be in a "supportive" or back-up role.
Old 10-11-2020, 06:30 PM   #505
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Holtby will be fine in Vancouver. I hate to say it, but they almost seem like a goaltending factory there, even though their rebuild. That's a good destination for a goalie looking for a rebound, especially when the goalie isn't too old.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 08:47 PM   #506
Hells Bells
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
You haven't seen him play "Elite" hockey because his team legitimately just fed him to the wolves after Trotz left? I am shocked! Shocked I say! Okay. Well, not that shocked.
No team legitimately fed their goalie to the wolves like the Canucks in recent years. So don't expect anywhere near elite level Holtby in Vancouver.

It's not like he's Jacob Markstrom.
Old 10-11-2020, 08:51 PM   #507
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells Bells View Post
No team legitimately fed their goalie to the wolves like the Canucks in recent years. So don't expect anywhere near elite level Holtby in Vancouver.

He keeps saying it but the Caps rookie had decent numbers with the same team in front of him

Compare the Caps to the current Canucks...their D is even worse this season unless they upgrade. Its possibly Holtby bounces back but I highly doubt it. Even before the cup run he went months without a win and lost the starters job going into the playoffs.
Old 10-12-2020, 10:27 AM   #508
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
He keeps saying it but the Caps rookie had decent numbers with the same team in front of him

Aaaaand with this, I'm done with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells Bells View Post

Actually, the Capitals had the lowest expected save percentage in the league because of the amount of and types of chances given up. While Canucks give up a lot of shots, a majority of that is based on the system they employ, which is a collapse in the defensive zone and allow shots from the outside. It also leads to terrible possession numbers, and it's a dumb system but that's another story for another day.

If Ian Clark said "Get Holtby, he works for us" and the third party goalie experts say "This is a good get, he will work for them," then I am pretty confident he will work for us. And even if he doesn't, we don't care because he isn't here to fix our goaltending situation. He's here to support Demko.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver

Last edited by Blaster86; 10-12-2020 at 10:32 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2020, 10:52 AM   #509
TheoFleury
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Mike Smith at his very best, at his very youngest, was never even remotely close to as good as Braden Holtby

I mean, you have to remember that Holtby is not coming in to "fix our goaltending issues". We don't feel as though we have a goaltending issue. He's being brought in to support Demko.

I mean... I don't actually disagree since I've been watching him for two years but... a few months? Lol.

Holtby is one of the worst goalies in the nhl now. He is about 3m overpaid. Been terrible for three solid regular seasons in a row. The Canucks wouldve been smart to promote DiPietro instead
TheoFleury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 11:01 AM   #510
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoFleury View Post
Holtby is one of the worst goalies in the nhl now. He is about 3m overpaid. Been terrible for three solid regular seasons in a row. The Canucks wouldve been smart to promote DiPietro instead

We'll see. Even if you are right, it's two years, so I can stomach it.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 10-12-2020, 11:03 AM   #511
TheoFleury
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
We'll see. Even if you are right, it's two years, so I can stomach it.
Shouldve used that capspace on Toffoli imo
TheoFleury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 11:16 AM   #512
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoFleury View Post
Shouldve used that capspace on Toffoli imo

We still have Cap Space for Toffoli.

Our issue is that we also don't have any RD so that needs to be the focus before Toffoli.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 10-12-2020, 12:38 PM   #513
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Looks like Tre picked up the belle of the ball from the goaltending market this summer. I like the decision as it may finally solve this team’s inconsistency in goal. Every year at some point, it seems like goaltending always becomes a story for the wrong reasons, so hopefully this finally solves the problem.

As the saying goes, goaltending is the great equalizer in this sport, so Markstrom might be able to hide some of the flaws and deficiencies on this team. If the team is having a bad night offensively, he’s the type to steal games like Kipper did back in the day. He’s big, he’s athletic and he can make the big save.

If he can stay healthy and the team can offer him more support than the Canucks did who left him out to dry a lot this past season, then it’s possible there may be some extra Vezina votes for him in the near future.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 12:39 PM   #514
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
We still have Cap Space for Toffoli.

Our issue is that we also don't have any RD so that needs to be the focus before Toffoli.
Well that aged well.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2020, 12:40 PM   #515
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Actually, the Capitals had the lowest expected save percentage in the league because of the amount of and types of chances given up. While Canucks give up a lot of shots, a majority of that is based on the system they employ, which is a collapse in the defensive zone and allow shots from the outside. It also leads to terrible possession numbers, and it's a dumb system but that's another story for another day.

If Ian Clark said "Get Holtby, he works for us" and the third party goalie experts say "This is a good get, he will work for them," then I am pretty confident he will work for us. And even if he doesn't, we don't care because he isn't here to fix our goaltending situation. He's here to support Demko.
I wish

This is the Markstrom thread not the Holtby thread...please take your opinions to the Vancouver is no good thread
Old 10-12-2020, 12:46 PM   #516
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Well that aged well.

How did it age poorly? What I said was true. It also means we missed out on Toffoli. Cap space wasn't an issue, especially for that deal.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 10-13-2020, 09:44 AM   #517
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

According to Lindholm's Instagram account him and Markstrom are fishing together as I type this.
the_only_turek_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to the_only_turek_fan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2020, 10:49 AM   #518
Infinit47
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

During the 2019/20 regular season, in all situations, Vancouver had the 3rd lowest SCF%, the 5th lowest xGF%, and the 9th lowest CF%.

If they don't get elite goaltending they are in trouble. Markstom, was not a product of some magic defensive system employed by the Canucks, he covered the teams warts with excellent play.

Edit: more directly, they don't just give up shots from the outside. They give up significantly more scoring chances than they generate, leaving them in the bottom 5-10 in the league.

Last edited by Infinit47; 10-13-2020 at 10:54 AM.
Infinit47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 11:00 AM   #519
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

In front of Holtby, Washington had an expected goals against of 2.56 which was well below his actual GAA of 3.11

In front of Markstrom, Vancouver had an expected goals against of 2.73 which was around his actual GAA of 2.75

With goaltenders, the previous season doesn't always predict the following season, but let's call a spade a spade. Holtby needs to take ownership of his own results last year.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 11:01 AM   #520
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

One thing I know for sure is the last few years there were many games where I watched the Flames badly outplay the Canucks only to have Markstrom steal the 2 points.

If the Flames get that Markstrom, it should make a difference.

To me goalies are still voodoo though. You just never know.

But hey, if you're going to put all your eggs in a basket, it might as well be the best built basket you can acquire. The basket might still fall apart, but I guess there is a better chance that it won't.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post: