Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2020, 10:12 AM   #161
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
it won't last ... but man would it be funny if Valimaki stays tight to Puljujärvi in the scoring race.

Talk about taking some wind out of the Jesse coming home enthusiasm.
Would be pretty hard to not be enthusiastic on Puljujärvi's stats line

5 games 5 goals 7 pts +7

Like you implied some really early non-sustainable numbers being generated.

Any idea when the training camps are opening in North America?
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 10:14 AM   #162
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
it won't last ... but man would it be funny if Valimaki stays tight to Puljujärvi in the scoring race.

Talk about taking some wind out of the Jesse coming home enthusiasm.
Valimaki , also, is 8th in time on ice per game for all players in the sm liiga.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 10:20 AM   #163
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
Would be pretty hard to not be enthusiastic on Puljujärvi's stats line

5 games 5 goals 7 pts +7

Like you implied some really early non-sustainable numbers being generated.

Any idea when the training camps are opening in North America?
A guy with Puljujarvi’s pedigree, with NHL experience, should be destroying that league. He’s in 5th place. Last year he finished behind Justin Danforth among others.

Valimaki is a guy with 24 games of limited NHL duty. Coming off a long time injury.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 10:46 AM   #164
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
A guy with Puljujarvi’s pedigree, with NHL experience, should be destroying that league. He’s in 5th place. Last year he finished behind Justin Danforth among others.

Valimaki is a guy with 24 games of limited NHL duty. Coming off a long time injury.
Are you suggesting that Valimaki is not being counted on by the Flames?

Any Flame prospect in any league goes a goal a game and there would be a great deal of enthusiasm. Pelletier has 1 goal in 4 games in draft year +2... when he get 5 goals in 5 games ( as he very likely will) people will be excited.
Old 10-18-2020, 10:49 AM   #165
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Any Flame prospect in any league goes a goal a game and there would be a great deal of enthusiasm. Pelletier has 1 goal in 4 games in draft year +2... when he get 5 goals in 5 games ( as he very likely will) people will be excited.
No, I’m saying Valimaki’s success in SM Liiga is more impressive than Puljujarvi’s.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2020, 11:05 AM   #166
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:

Think you're missing the point.

Edmonton media and fans have been showing highlights of JP for a year, trying to make the case that he's ready to take the NHL by storm (no not all Edmonton fans).

He has one more point than Valimaki this year with one less game played.

If Valimaki goes a point per game in that league as a defenseman compared to what JP did last year as a forward it would be hilarious.

I'm not disparaging anyone.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2020, 12:03 PM   #167
BigErnSalute_16
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Edmonton media and fans have been showing highlights of JP for a year, trying to make the case that he's ready to take the NHL by storm (no not all Edmonton fans).

If Valimaki goes a point per game in that league as a defenseman compared to what JP did last year as a forward it would be hilarious.

Ricardo missing the point? that's crazy talk.
BigErnSalute_16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigErnSalute_16 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2020, 12:54 PM   #168
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:

But now many hits, takeaways, giveaways and mean faces per 60 is Valimaki producing?

Because THAT is what matters here.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 01:37 PM   #169
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
But now many hits, takeaways, giveaways and mean faces per 60 is Valimaki producing?

Because THAT is what matters here.

Seriously, Valimaki is a good open ice hitter, based on the one pen ice hit I can recall. He does have heft.
Old 10-18-2020, 01:39 PM   #170
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No, I’m saying Valimaki’s success in SM Liiga is more impressive than Puljujarvi’s.
Valimaki's last stint with the Flames had him clearly in the Andersson level in the Flames defense.

In the last none-blow-out game against Colorado Valimaki had slightly more ice time than Andersson , got an assist was a +1 and had 3 hits in the OT loss to Colorado.

In his 24 NHL games Valimaki D+2 was out 15:29 The same year Andersson D+4 got 16:02

The only reason Valimaki is playing in Finland is to get some ice-time on his injury before the NHL.

Puljujarvi's time in the NHL was basically a disaster and sending him to Finland was the same as sending him to the minors for a full year

May as well be saying that Valimaki will do better than Juolevi. Not a hard or realistic standard.

what did you expect from Valimaki?
Old 10-18-2020, 02:01 PM   #171
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Valimaki's last stint with the Flames had him clearly in the Andersson level in the Flames defense.

In the last none-blow-out game against Colorado Valimaki had slightly more ice time than Andersson , got an assist was a +1 and had 3 hits in the OT loss to Colorado.

In his 24 NHL games Valimaki D+2 was out 15:29 The same year Andersson D+4 got 16:02

The only reason Valimaki is playing in Finland is to get some ice-time on his injury before the NHL.

Puljujarvi's time in the NHL was basically a disaster and sending him to Finland was the same as sending him to the minors for a full year

May as well be saying that Valimaki will do better than Juolevi. Not a hard or realistic standard.

Right. Exactly right.

Now take everything you have written here, and say it to an Oilers fan, or post it to the Edmonton media and see how they respond.

The point is less about comparing Valimaki to Puljujarvi, and much more about how utterly delusional the Edmonton media and Oilers fans are about their team, its players, and prospects in their system. They're the ones pencilling Puljujarvi in the 2020-21 Oilers top-six after a pedestrian showing in a lower-teir European league, and eagerly anticipating a return on his high draft projection.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 10-18-2020 at 02:07 PM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2020, 02:16 PM   #172
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

So obtuse.
Old 10-18-2020, 02:34 PM   #173
TheoFleury
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
So obtuse.
How was it obtuse? I get he's abrasive and narrow focused at times, but he's basically saying Valimaki is a good prospect compared to some overhyped divisional guys like juolevi and puljujarvi. He has a unique writing style though so maybe I'm missing something. I think he's basically saying obtuse obvious that Vali should look better than Puljuarvi
TheoFleury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 02:36 PM   #174
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoFleury View Post
How was it obtuse? I get he's abrasive and narrow focused at times, but he's basically saying Valimaki is a good prospect compared to some overhyped divisional guys like juolevi and puljujarvi. He has a unique writing style though so maybe I'm missing something
Read the discussion.
Old 10-18-2020, 02:37 PM   #175
TheoFleury
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Read the discussion.
I did. It was basically a comparison of vali and puljujarvi for some reason and Ricardo thinks it is weird to compare? He also commented on the youth of the team. What am I missing? Again, his style is different so maybe I missed it.
Old 10-18-2020, 02:43 PM   #176
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
I did. It was basically a comparison of vali and puljujarvi for some reason and Ricardo thinks it is weird to compare? He also commented on the youth of the team. What am I missing? Again, his style is different so maybe I missed it.
It all started with Bingo pointing out that it would be funny if Valimaki, our defenceman, kept up with Puljujarvi's points in the same league as Oilers media and fans were pointing to that as some great accomplishment.

That's all.

Then Ricardo somehow missed the comedic element and argued about it for several posts.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 02:47 PM   #177
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bingo noted that it would be cool if Valimaki was close to Puljujarvi after the season, because of the Northern hype. I added that, given their levels of experience, it would be even a bigger smack to them. Ricardo for som reason thinks that means we don’t expect much of Valimaki. Not so. I expect Valimaki to do well. Puljujarvi should be crushing the league, given his pedigree and NHL and AHL experience, not to mention his job is “scoring forward”.
Old 10-18-2020, 02:48 PM   #178
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So obtuse.
He’ll be searching for a protractor.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 02:50 PM   #179
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
How was it obtuse? I get he's abrasive and narrow focused at times, but he's basically saying Valimaki is a good prospect compared to some overhyped divisional guys like juolevi and puljujarvi. He has a unique writing style though so maybe I'm missing something. I think he's basically saying obtuse obvious that Vali should look better than Puljuarvi
It's obtuse because ricardodw with persistent regularity pushes nearly every discussion in a different, most often irrelevant or completely pointless direction. This is another case in point where he somehow managed to (not so accidentally?) miss what Bingo was quite obviously getting at. For ricardodw this is most commonly a tool used to project passively aggressively a wildly inaccurate and unflattering view of the Flames, but in this instance he has rather opted to weirdly infer either that Flames fans on CP are out of touch in assessing their own prospects, or that their own expectations for Valimaki are rightly very modest.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 10-18-2020 at 03:02 PM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2020, 03:05 PM   #180
TheoFleury
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Are Oiler fans that high on Puljujarvi really though? I know a couple Oiler fans and they have written him off. Is the consensus in Oiler land that he's a better prospect than valimaki? I get the joke but aside from their homer media, I'm not sure any reasonable Oiler fan has confidence in Puljujarvi as a top 6 solution. He's a bust and I suspect most of them understand that unless they are trolling.