Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2020, 08:40 AM   #421
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
well I'd guess that those offside incidents are not nearly as common as other VAR/ref errors. In theory, it really is kind of cut and dried ... you draw a line and that's it, there really isn't as much room for errors and interpretation as in other areas. Off the top of my head, I really can't think of any blatant offside errors, but I remember several foul and handball errors that VAR got wrong. Might just be me, but I feel those offside mistakes are few and far between.
The issue with offsides is that there are more variables than what’s being considered. The primary issue is when is the ball passed, and is that at the exact millimeter that we’re drawing the line to determine the offside? That’s a pretty significant issue in my view.

These plays should all be viewed once at half speed, and if you can’t see that someone is offside, they’re onside. Mane was offside this morning (I guess?) and there’s both the grey area of whether he’s actually offside when that pass is sent and the fact that he gains no discernible advantage.

And more obviously, instead of a stoppage time winner and great drama and excitement, you have a discussion about this. These aren’t the problems that VAR was brought in to solve. It was supposed to catch a play where someone was 3 feet offside and somehow everyone missed it. You know...clear and obvious errors.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 08:52 AM   #422
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
While I totally agree with the VAR issues and obviously think something should be done. It’s interesting that it took a robbery against Liverpool to hear anything in most of the media. This garbage has cost a lot of other teams valuable points and big games over the past couple of years. Through that time, the pundits and media have basically said nothing.

I’m not talking about this board, to be clear. But they’ve absolutely robbed teams of goals by drawing the line down past a players elbow or finding them offside by a millimeter when it’s not entirely clear that the ball was passed at that point. It’s laughable. Liverpool has definitely benefited from some of this, so my sympathies for them are limited at best (a certain handball 25 seconds into a CL final is far more egregious than this). But regardless of my loyalties, it’s frustrating that it takes Liverpool to get the short end in order for a lot of pundits to actually say anything.
I would argue that Wolves are in CL, but for VAR and ridiculous marginal calls that all went against them last year. I know it is cyclical and maybe it all goes their way in 2021, but ti is still a joke.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 09:00 AM   #423
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

There definitely needs to be a margin of error built in to account for the potential human error in getting the exact timing of the release of the pass, and for the line that gets drawn. Both look wrong from any angles I’ve seen today.
The Big Chill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 09:21 AM   #424
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think that if you can't tell within a limited amount of time (say 20 seconds) then the initial call should stand. But I was under the impression it was supposed to be clear and obvious errors that would be overturned and it's hard to say either offside today was clearly and obviously offside.
Old 10-17-2020, 09:26 AM   #425
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Wow just watched that on delay and you don't often say this for the defending champs but I feel bad for liverpool. That was a robbery. The Pickford red but mainly the offside... where they drew those lines was totally arbitrary. Telling that they didn't have the guts to provide the zoom in for TV. Eye test from afar was that they were clearly in line with one another
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 09:53 AM   #426
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Chelsea lucky to get a draw here

Getting outplayed again and their defense is horrific as expected
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 09:55 AM   #427
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was there any more predictable storyline this year than Chelsea's defense costing them points time and again? Eleventy billion on attacking players might not have been the wisest strategy.
Old 10-17-2020, 10:16 AM   #428
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

like I said, it's not VAR, it's the idiots that call themselves refs. Simply incompetent.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1317498285163270144
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2020, 10:22 AM   #429
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yikes, yeah that's hard to understand. 2020 is a bad year for us all, but spare a thought for EPL refs lol... they are making NHL look well officiated this year.

The one thing I could say for Pickford is that he is just a bit of an oaf always, he deserved a red but I think his intent was not bad, the later tackle by Richarlison to me looked like intent to injure and he should be getting an additional ban.

Also, Southampton are looking really good this year, sure Chelsea's backline is deficient but I could see them being in the euro places fight all year with what a scramble the table is.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 10:38 AM   #430
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, it sucks that we're bitching about refereeing and VAR again instead of a great match. Liverpool got robbed.

I thought we were done with this 'offside by a pubic hair' nonsense.

They can spot offside by a micron but Pickford flying in on Van Dijk gets completely missed? That is baffling.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 11:19 AM   #431
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
Chelsea lucky to get a draw here

Getting outplayed again and their defense is horrific as expected
I don't know how that second Werner goal wasn't reviewed?
Looked as if he controlled it with his upper arm.

Got a feeling it's going to be a race between Chelsea and United for Poch. Very soon.

As for offsides. It's the same nonsensical but consistent crap for all the teams. Liverpool's turn today. Big deal.

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 11:24 AM   #432
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
like I said, it's not VAR, it's the idiots that call themselves refs. Simply incompetent.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1317498285163270144
So, if I'm interpreting correctly. VAR can only review possible red cards.

So, having decided not a red (which would then make it a definite yellow), they can't suggest the yellow as it's beyond their scope.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bagor For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2020, 11:40 AM   #433
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Horrible news

https://twitter.com/user/status/1317516427004420099
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 11:45 AM   #434
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
So, if I'm interpreting correctly. VAR can only review possible red cards.

So, having decided not a red (which would then make it a definite yellow), they can't suggest the yellow as it's beyond their scope.
that's the thing, it should have been a red.
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2020, 11:49 AM   #435
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

That game was just a stunning comedy of errors.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 10-17-2020, 12:01 PM   #436
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
that's the thing, it should have been a red.
I'm not arguing that.
Simply saying with VAR is red or nothing.
They review dangerous play yet their scope to suggest is limited.

Old 10-17-2020, 12:11 PM   #437
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
I would argue that Wolves are in CL, but for VAR and ridiculous marginal calls that all went against them last year. I know it is cyclical and maybe it all goes their way in 2021, but ti is still a joke.
I can understand that marginal calls go one way or another, but these were two blatantly obvious mistakes.

I mean...you get to watch the video, the same video that the VAR Ref had access to and you can obviously see the mistakes.

The VAR Ref is going to have to get behind a microphone with those photos and video behind him and explain how he came to these decisions.

VAR was brought in to rectify 'Clear and Obvious' calls. These looked pretty clear and obvious.

Old 10-17-2020, 12:25 PM   #438
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
Ugh, that’s infuriating. Hopefully Thiago is ok, but Richarlison’s tackle on him looked equally as bad as this one.
The Big Chill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 12:42 PM   #439
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
But I was under the impression it was supposed to be clear and obvious errors that would be overturned and it's hard to say either offside today was clearly and obviously offside.
Wrong.

Old 10-17-2020, 01:03 PM   #440
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

lol. This is going to be ####ing great, isn't it?