Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-25-2020, 07:32 AM   #1
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Driving Schools. Who’s good these days.

My 16 year old is looking to get his license this spring.

I need a recommendation for a driving school.

AMA ?

Chinook ?

Others ?

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-25-2020, 08:03 AM   #2
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

AMA.

We sent one kid through another school, Chinook I think, the other two went through AMA and it was just better.

I'd stick with them.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2020, 08:27 AM   #3
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ama
Old 02-25-2020, 08:32 AM   #4
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just have him read the gear grinder thread. All the education any driver needs.
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Titan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2020, 09:02 AM   #5
jeffporfirio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

AMA.
We put our oldest through it two years ago, and it was top-notch.
jeffporfirio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffporfirio For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2020, 12:38 PM   #6
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

My wife used some small driving school in the NE 10 years ago. We went based on price and regretted it. When my son was ready we went with AMA. A little more money but worth it in the end.

For example, AMA has a place just out of town with a gravel patch so they can teach how to handle a skid.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2020, 12:48 PM   #7
prarieboy
Late Bloomer

Exp:

Our Son just went through AMA last winter. He turned out to be a very good driver.
prarieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to prarieboy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2020, 01:10 PM   #8
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Fair warning - AB has a 2/3 failure rate on driver tests, highest in the country. Both my boys had to take the test multiple times. This is despite driving school, and plenty of practice.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...-rate-1.935658

And there can be long wait times for test appointments.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5141474/a...system-delays/
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2020, 02:00 PM   #9
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My daughter just went though driver training @ Proactive Driving School- The in class and in car went without a hitch and she passed first try- Was a little cheaper than the AMA, but solid instruction
aaronck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aaronck For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2020, 06:28 PM   #10
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is it worth starting at 14 after they pass their learner's test?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 10:36 AM   #11
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Is it worth starting at 14 after they pass their learner's test?
Depends on how interested the person is in driving. My daughter got her learners about 6 months after turning 14, and never really showed interest in learning until after she turned 16. She passed but is still pretty tentative behind the wheel IMO- My younger daughter will probably get hers right after turning 14 and I'm sure will be bugging me right away to get behind the wheel.
Completing the course close to when you'll be taking your test is probably the best bet so all the good driving habits and instruction are still fresh in their mind.
aaronck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aaronck For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2020, 04:12 PM   #12
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

My wife put getting her drivers license on the side burner for a long time. She went to 2 cheap driving schools much to my chagrin and wasn't feeling any more confident in getting her license. She finally agreed to pay the premium and go through AMA.

She learned more in 45 minutes than she did at both those other places. She's often comments that she poured money down the drain by going to those other schools.

Cheapo schools might be a good way to get some practice in for slightly cheaper... but if you want to learn, it's hands down AMA. HOWEVER, if you go through an AMA driving course and just want more driving time for confidence before going for a test, additional lessons with an instructor are highly discounted if I remember correctly. For this reason, I really don't think it makes any sense to go through a cheapo school if you want to learn correctly. There's probably a few other really good schools, but AMA hands down is consistently good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Fair warning - AB has a 2/3 failure rate on driver tests, highest in the country. Both my boys had to take the test multiple times. This is despite driving school, and plenty of practice.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...-rate-1.935658

And there can be long wait times for test appointments.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5141474/a...system-delays/
I wonder if the issue is with how militant some of those instructors are. There's a ton of auto fails for certain things and it can be up to the tester to determine how serious the "offense" is for pass/fail. For instance, I failed my learners and GDL once each. I had the same ass of a woman testing me both times I failed (story below).

For my learners, I "ran the stop sign" because I regularly used a limousine breaking technique that was taught to me by my AMA instructor. She said she couldn't feel the jolt when I stopped so she looked to the side, saw the blade of grass move an inch or so she knew I wasn't at a completely full stop even though she admitted I was obviously not moving for at least 3-4 seconds. Semantically she'd compromise that I rolled the stop sign. Auto-fail because I ran a stop sign. Red lights? Gravel was kinda maybe moving for a few inches even though pedestrians were crossing and I obviously had to wait for them to get onto the sidewalk... same thing. Rolled/ran a red light, double auto fail.

I felt like I did worse the second time I was with her, but I somehow passed and got my GDL.

For my GDL, I wasn't happy to see her again at the Bowness/Crowfoot registry area, but OK, whatever. They ask you the hazard questions and whatnot and she made it a point to ask way more questions and interrupt me as I got close to a playground zone which I noticed slightly late due to being momentarily distracted... I slammed on the brakes but according to her, I might have been going 35 kmph at the moment I was parallel to the sign. She wasn't sure, but she was adamant I wasn't slower than the MAXIMUM 30 kmph for the playground zone. Aced everything else, but speeding even 1 kmph in a playground zone? Auto-fail. She also expected me to list every single potential hazard and if I missed one, she'd gleefully interrupt me to state the ones I missed (ie: empty cross walks or kids 10 feet away from the side walk). I wasn't sharp enough to tell her all of them, so she deducted a ton of points for stuff like that too.

We had a family friend who knew a guy who was a tester and he told me to go through him and the route this guy would take me on would be easier... dude told me that the only thing he could imagine dinging me on was that I was stopped at a stop sign slightly too long (doing it on purpose to show I was full stop) and I crept up to 108 kmph merging onto Deerfoot while chatting with him, but I caught myself and hit the brakes to slow back down to speed limit. He was very fair. He wasn't rubber stamping drivers licenses. The route wasn't significantly less difficult, but it had less concentrated "hazard" stuff like the route in Bowness. He commented I obviously drove better than the average person and I was probably doing slightly weird things to compensate for the previous fails.

He asked me who the previous tester was and was both surprised and apologetic I had the misfortune of getting that idiot 3 times. Apparently she had a reputation of failing students the first time for stupid reasons to essentially rake in testing fees for her registry. Many other testers apparently didn't like her.
DoubleF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 04:34 PM   #13
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd also like to mention that beyond just basic driving school, I've been trying to see if there's a reasonably priced winter performance driving course/class for my wife. I think it would be beneficial for her to improve her skills/capabilities and confidence in inclement weather. I had an AMA instructor that took me to an icy Maxbell parking lot once, throw down pylons and made me do evasive maneuvers at specific speeds and icy conditions. I ran over the last pylons/spun out a few times and kinda freaked out. This until the instructor realized the ground was icier than he realized and the pylons were too close. He ran over the last pylon and spun out himself trying to give me a demonstration.
DoubleF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 09:59 PM   #14
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bumping this - I see on the AMA site that kids can register through their high school. Do the high schools in Calgary support this? I haven't seen anything mentioned in newsletters.

https://drivered.ama.ab.ca/highschool/orders/new
Old 01-25-2023, 10:05 PM   #15
T-Dog
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Just fyi, we registered our daughter for the AMA course in August or September and after paying found out they didn’t have instructors available for booking until January.
T-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to T-Dog For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2023, 10:42 PM   #16
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Dog View Post
Just fyi, we registered our daughter for the AMA course in August or September and after paying found out they didn’t have instructors available for booking until January.
I was thinking of booking a class for February, when did they notify you about that situation?
Old 01-26-2023, 01:16 AM   #17
Draug
First Line Centre

Exp:

We went with Cochrane Driving Academy in November and December. They were absolutely excellent. My daughter had been driving from 14 to 16 yrs of age with my wife and I and was a fairly capable driver. But she lacked the confidence in certain situations such as tight proximity and parking. The Academy really helped there. Best thing was that you use the same car for all your lessons and for the exam and the last lesson is essentially a practice exam.
Draug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 09:23 AM   #18
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any idea if AMA still teachers driving a manual?
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 09:43 AM   #19
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Any idea if AMA still teachers driving a manual?

Their site shows they do, at least in Calgary. They recommend that you have a manual to practice with outside of classes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2023, 10:09 AM   #20
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

My 16 year old is going through the AMA, she did the class training in December and is starting driving lessons next week.

It's quite expensive.