Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-17-2020, 07:10 PM   #721
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Definitely slam the over on that one. There were 3 teams last year that eclipsed that number without being giant dbags and cheaters.
flamingred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 10:53 AM   #722
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

I thought this was pretty funny:

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2020, 12:41 PM   #723
Jay's Beagle
Backup Goalie

Exp:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...altuve-tattoo/

Newest piece to the sign stealing/ buzzer scandal.. Altuve supposedly had a terrible tattoo... ok
Jay's Beagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 10:27 PM   #724
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn’t see the actual video, but apparently when Correa was defending Altuve in his interview a couple of days ago, he made a comment to the media to the effect “you know me, I’ve always been honest with you”. Aside from the dishonesty of cheating this is the guy who claims his broken rib injury from last year came from a massage.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 10:30 PM   #725
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay's Beagle View Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...altuve-tattoo/

Newest piece to the sign stealing/ buzzer scandal.. Altuve supposedly had a terrible tattoo... ok
BTW did you see Harold Reynolds do a breakdown of the buzzer theory and debunked it. It’s not definitive or anything but it was pretty good I thought.

Doesn’t change that they cheated.
Old 02-26-2020, 07:24 PM   #726
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

In case anyone is wondering. The Astro’s have already been hit by 7 pitches in 5(including split squad) games. And that’s with only fielding 1-2 regulars per game.
Old 02-26-2020, 07:38 PM   #727
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingred89 View Post
In case anyone is wondering. The Astro’s have already been hit by 7 pitches in 5(including split squad) games. And that’s with only fielding 1-2 regulars per game.
I wonder if all the beanballs get out of the way in spring training so the over on the HBP count may not be so easy.
Old 03-03-2020, 09:12 PM   #728
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yelich, Brewers nearing record extension#

Quote:
The Brewers are close to an agreement with 28-year-old superstar outfielder#Christian Yelich#on a club-record contract extension, a source told MLB.com's Mark Feinsand. If completed, it would add seven years and about $190 million to the two guaranteed years left on Yelich’s current contract, for a grand total of nine years and about $215 million from 2020-28.
Quote:
Where would the extension place Yelich among the game’s highest-paid players? The new money in the deal averages $27.14 million per year, the 17th-highest average annual value in baseball history, according to the database of Cot’s Contracts. The highest AAV belongs to Yankees pitcher Gerrit Cole ($38 million). Angels outfielder Mike Trout is next at $35.5 million, and the only other position players ahead of Yelich are Angels third baseman Anthony Rendon ($35 million AAV), Rockies third baseman Nolan Arenado ($32.5 million), Tigers designated hitter Miguel Cabrera ($31 million), Padres third baseman Manny Machado ($30 million), former Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez ($27.5 million) and Mets outfielder Yoenis Céspedes ($27.5 million, though that contract was subsequently amended).

The deal would position Yelich to remain in Milwaukee through at least his age-36 season.

https://www.mlb.com/news/christian-y...wers-extension

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Drake For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2020, 09:01 AM   #729
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

So the MLB concludes that the Red Sox cheated as well, and they suspended the video replay official.

That will show them!
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 12:43 PM   #730
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is a bad look for baseball. Manfred completely botched this and It wouldn’t surprise me if teams take advantage of the lack of “punishment”. All you have to do is cheat a little less than the Astros and your laughing.

Players shouldn’t have been granted immunity. And the Astros should’ve lost their title. That’s the starting point.
Old 04-25-2020, 10:46 AM   #731
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

You know how they say there's a good penalty in hockey? You break the rules to prevent a surefire goal. Yes, you're in the box for 2 minutes but the odds of you killing the penalty are still really good, especially compared to a surefire goal.

No one faults the player for breaking the rules, if anything it's part of the game.

Manfred just said "Using video to steal signs is cool. It's a good penalty."

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 05:58 PM   #732
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

... MLB is shortening the next draft to 5 rounds. *Gulp*
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 05:41 AM   #733
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow. What's that, a 90% reduction? Some small ball teams may be able to sign a FA gem a few years after they develop I'd think. What's the point of shortening the draft in this case? If they do it virtually, what's the risk?
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 06:06 AM   #734
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
Wow. What's that, a 90% reduction? Some small ball teams may be able to sign a FA gem a few years after they develop I'd think. What's the point of shortening the draft in this case? If they do it virtually, what's the risk?
It is purely about saving money. Last year players drafted after the 5th round were awarded more than 61 million in signing bonuses. They would also be limiting the signing bonuses of undrafted FAs from 125k per team to 20k per team. But when the league is expecting to lose 2.5-3B in revenue, I guessing saving a little bit where you can becomes important.
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2020, 06:31 AM   #735
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
It is purely about saving money. Last year players drafted after the 5th round were awarded more than 61 million in signing bonuses. They would also be limiting the signing bonuses of undrafted FAs from 125k per team to 20k per team. But when the league is expecting to lose 2.5-3B in revenue, I guessing saving a little bit where you can becomes important.
Which is really silly. The draft offers significant surplus value... they'll lose money in the long run. Naturally of course they have to do this in the year where the Jay's would have a bigger draft pool and select high every round.

Also the draft is going to be heavier in NCAA picks for the next few year as a result.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 07:35 AM   #736
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
Which is really silly. The draft offers significant surplus value... they'll lose money in the long run. Naturally of course they have to do this in the year where the Jay's would have a bigger draft pool and select high every round.

Also the draft is going to be heavier in NCAA picks for the next few year as a result.
Oh absolutely, I agree completely. It is going to be counterproductive.
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 06:05 PM   #737
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

So apparently baseball players will agree to pro rated salaries accounting for games missed but aren’t interested in reducing salaries further to reflect no gate revenue if MLB resumes with no fans. This is their right as they don’t have a cap tied to revenues.

So I would expect that encourages ownership to propose the shortest regular season possible as this is also a gate driven league. Big TV money kicks in for the playoffs.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...-board-members
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2020, 02:28 PM   #738
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

More news on baseball returning. Owners eyeing a July 4 weekend start with short spring training in June and are going to suggest a 50/50 revenue split with the players. I can't wait to see the players reaction to that. Hint: they won't like it

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...preps-weigh-it
Old 05-12-2020, 08:47 AM   #739
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Really good article that breaks down how ugly this negotiation is going to get and how it could end up in a missed season altogether. Also point some of the changes we would see rule wise in a shortened season.

Quote:
In broad terms:

• A 50-50 split of revenue from the 2020 season

• An 82-game schedule instead of the standard 162

• A mid-June "spring training" and early-July opening day

• A 14-team postseason rather than the typical 10

• Games played in home stadiums where allowed

• Designated hitters in the American and National League

• Games against only divisional and regional opponents -- i.e., AL West teams play AL West and NL West teams

• Expanded rosters from 26 to as many as 30 active players with a 20-man taxi squad of minor league players and prospects

• No fans in stadiums to begin the season
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...ly-really-ugly
Old 05-12-2020, 09:15 AM   #740
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Adding a DH to the NL seems to have nothing to do with a shortened season - more a long-term goal of MLB that they are slipping into the equation?
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post: