Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2020, 02:40 PM   #2321
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Yeah Rome is in Europe
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2020, 10:54 PM   #2322
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
My shoddy math says that's a reduction of about 4.5%. So...better than nothing, I guess.

1 tonne of concrete produces 150kg CO2e, 1m³ concrete =2.4 tonnes, so 360kg CO2e/m³.
16/360 = 4.5%

Which would have been a more helpful figure for the article to include.

http://www.greenrationbook.org.uk/re...ints-concrete/
I wonder how much more carbon is emitted by having all de-icing done by a plane running their engines the entire time they are being sprayed.

And then multiplied by every flight needing a spray indefinitely.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan Coke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2020, 10:20 AM   #2323
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post
I wonder how much more carbon is emitted by having all de-icing done by a plane running their engines the entire time they are being sprayed.

I have to assume a central de-icing pad is vastly preferred by the workers that have to stand outside at the gates, both for personal health and for safety reasons. To me, that would offset any concerns about idling plane engines at the pad.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 11:02 AM   #2324
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post

Partially negated by the fuel burned when aircraft land and then sit with engines running while they wait for their gate because it is still occupied by another plane that is being deiced.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 11:42 AM   #2325
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Does WJ run APU's at the gate?
Old 01-29-2020, 11:53 AM   #2326
SirPsychoSexy
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArcher101 View Post
They are supposed to turn them off upon arrival and re-start them approximately 10 minutes prior to departure, in Calgary at least.
SirPsychoSexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 08:48 AM   #2327
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Bit of a strange question. Does anyone know how entry is permitted into the economy parking lot at the airport (the one you can walk to the terminal from)? Does it require the driver to insert a credit card to open the gate, or does it produce a paper slip which you insert when exiting, or does it do both?
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 10:23 AM   #2328
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyang View Post
Bit of a strange question. Does anyone know how entry is permitted into the economy parking lot at the airport (the one you can walk to the terminal from)? Does it require the driver to insert a credit card to open the gate, or does it produce a paper slip which you insert when exiting, or does it do both?
There's a button you push and it gives you a paper ticket. Keep the ticket in your car so you don't lose it.

When you exit, put the paper ticket in the machine, then it tells you the fee. Put your credit card in the same slot. It gives you your card back, and then gives you the paper ticket back from the same slot printed on as a receipt.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 07:39 AM   #2329
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lufthansa is returning to YYC (seasonally and via Eurowings) starting in June:

https://newsroom.lufthansagroup.com/...pBM8hz08pDuhH8

Quote:
From 1 June 2020, Lufthansa, in cooperation with Eurowings, will reintroduce the Canadian city of Calgary to the flight schedule from Frankfurt on a seasonal basis.

From Germany's largest hub, it will initially depart for North America four times a week - on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays. The flight with the flight number LH5452 departs Frankfurt at 9.50 a.m. and arrives at its destination at 11.55 a.m. local time. The return flight of LH5453 departs Calgary at 1.45 p.m. and arrives in Frankfurt at 7.20 a.m. the next day. An Airbus A330-200 with a total of 270 seats on board will be used for the flight. The booking classes available are Business Class, Premium Economy Class and Economy Class.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2020, 10:30 AM   #2330
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting that they choose to do this and compete with their Star alliance partner on the route. Or do these times just work better for connecting to Lufthansa's ongoing network? I would have thought Munich might have been a better option.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 10:35 AM   #2331
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Interesting that they choose to do this and compete with their Star alliance partner on the route. Or do these times just work better for connecting to Lufthansa's ongoing network? I would have thought Munich might have been a better option.
I was always hoping we'd see seasonal Munich after Lufthansa left last time. I'm guessing this flight will have codesharing and profit sharing like the original Lufthansa flight had with Air Canada (and their FRA flight).

It's been pointed out these flight times are almost the same as what Lufthansa operated. I took that flight about 3 times and did like getting into Europe earlier than the AC flight.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2020, 10:55 AM   #2332
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also Lufthansa flew the great A340 livery. Great plane experience with the washroom block downstairs. Best seats were right in front of the stairway. Nobody behind you so you could tip your seat back all the way. Really liked that setup.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FurnaceFace For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2020, 11:51 AM   #2333
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
There's a button you push and it gives you a paper ticket. Keep the ticket in your car so you don't lose it.

When you exit, put the paper ticket in the machine, then it tells you the fee. Put your credit card in the same slot. It gives you your card back, and then gives you the paper ticket back from the same slot printed on as a receipt.
I believe the lower level short term international terminal, you pay at a machine on your way out of the terminal and put a validated slip in the gate.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 12:47 PM   #2334
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Interesting that they choose to do this and compete with their Star alliance partner on the route.
Keep in mind that Air Canada and Lufthansa have a revenue-sharing joint venture across the Atlantic; these new flights therefore supplement AC's existing flights as opposed to competing with them. By way of their partner, this is a coordinated reallocation of capacity by AC from the Pacific to the Atlantic as Hong Kong incidents and now coronovirus have slaughtered transpacific yields.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 12:51 PM   #2335
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Out of all the international flying I've done over the last few years, it ended up being a short hop from Calgary to Victoria that I thought was going to be the end. Descent to the island was the most turbulence I've ever experienced, if I didn't have a seatbelt on I would have smashed my head into the ceiling multiple times. Pilot had to abort the first landing attempt because of severe winds, and barely made the 2nd with the plane struggling to stay level. Everyone on board clapped when we finally landed, never seen that before in person
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 12:53 PM   #2336
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't have the exact dates but Air Canada has pushed back re-introduction of the summer seasonal flight to Tokyo-Narita.
Old 03-04-2020, 09:27 PM   #2337
STeeLy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Don't have the exact dates but Air Canada has pushed back re-introduction of the summer seasonal flight to Tokyo-Narita.

Not sure if I have the latest news, as of right now YYC-NRT suspended until May 1.

Apparently that wasn't the latest, May 27 now.

Last edited by STeeLy; 03-04-2020 at 11:08 PM.
STeeLy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to STeeLy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2020, 03:15 PM   #2338
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm scared that with this coronovirus exodus, the Lufthansa flight will be scrubbed before it starts. That ranks pretty far down the list of concerns, I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArcher101 View Post
Fun fact, upon delivery of the first 787, WestJet decided that ground power isn't a reliable enough power source for that aircraft and its extensive computer system. Every other airline on the planet disagrees... but for no reason WestJet burns 200 kg of fuel an hour for every 787 on the ground in Calgary at a gate. Since last February, I estimate WestJet has wasted about 750,000-1,000,000 liters of fuel on 787 APU burn in Calgary alone based on burn of about 200 kg an hour. WestJet pays about 80 cents a litre system-wide, but less than that here.

That said, their 737 obviously still represents the majority of burn and a mild effort is made there to minimize usage, but on a per flight basis WestJet still burns at least 50% more vs Air Canada who diligently ensure that it is shut down on every turn.
The Following User Says Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2020, 06:01 PM   #2339
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
I'm scared that with this coronovirus exodus, the Lufthansa flight will be scrubbed before it starts. That ranks pretty far down the list of concerns, I suppose.

Fun fact, upon delivery of the first 787, WestJet decided that ground power isn't a reliable enough power source for that aircraft and its extensive computer system. Every other airline on the planet disagrees... but for no reason WestJet burns 200 kg of fuel an hour for every 787 on the ground in Calgary at a gate. Since last February, I estimate WestJet has wasted about 750,000-1,000,000 liters of fuel on 787 APU burn in Calgary alone based on burn of about 200 kg an hour. WestJet pays about 80 cents a litre system-wide, but less than that here.

That said, their 737 obviously still represents the majority of burn and a mild effort is made there to minimize usage, but on a per flight basis WestJet still burns at least 50% more vs Air Canada who diligently ensure that it is shut down on every turn.
WestJet still has a lot to learn with respect to 787 processes because it is so new to their fleet and such a big change. Utilizing bridge power is one thing, having available portable ground power units to supplement bridge power when necessary. Even something as simple as hooking up and turn on the ground power is a "specialized" task that maintenance does instead of ground crews.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 06:50 PM   #2340
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
WestJet still has a lot to learn with respect to 787 processes because it is so new to their fleet and such a big change. Utilizing bridge power is one thing, having available portable ground power units to supplement bridge power when necessary. Even something as simple as hooking up and turn on the ground power is a "specialized" task that maintenance does instead of ground crews.
Yeah it's an interesting thing. It's funny to see a WestJet 787 push off one of our new gates after burning ~1,000 kg with their APU, and an Air Canada 787 comes a bit later and they immediately hook up to bridge power, complete their turn and leave with their airplane seemingly unharmed. Funny how that works. Guess it's a drop in the bucket when their annual burn systemwide is ~1.2 billion litres.

Tags
go flames go , say no to yeg , tunnel of death , yyc